Who cherry picked the coins?

-Keith

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Today I detected for about 2 hours in a park that's been opened continuously since the 30's.

There's lot's of trash and I only had my largest coil with me so it was a little challenging - I only found 9 coins.

Given that the park has been open continuously since the 1930s, I thought it would be reasonable to find a couple older coins and a bunch of modern clad. Nope, not a one. That is, not a single modern coin - 4 dimes and 4 pennies all from the 40s and 50s. Even the nickle was silver (1945P).

I had only been there once before just to check it out; and only found 3 pennies, two Wheaties.

So who's been cherry picking all the clad?

I hope to go back with a sniper coil.

-Keith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

-Keith

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
No, Ohio.

Why do you ask?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Ohio.....Matt

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope not me I am up at the Northwest corner of Ohio. But for what you found 3 wheats and 4 silver dimes I would be vey glad that they left the good stuff.....Matt

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just EXACTLY where is this park? ;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously tho....some of us have been hunting for many, many years and have hit every park within a 100 mile radius of our homes. I've been hunting for going on 30 years and I'm not even an oldtimer...lol
Some parks were cleaned out before me and the best I could do was what you did. Thus...now I'm in it for the challenge to prove that there is no such thing as a worked out park. So far I've only came upon 1 in the last few years my detector didn't give off a peep.
An old ballfield...apparently someone systematically worked it, removing every piece of trash so as not to leave any goodies.

Cherry picking had it's days. Pretty much gone now. That's why detectors are getting more sophisticated, to weed through the trash and find what goodies are left.

More years since the cherrypickers and more trash added to the layers making cleaning out the trash near impossible.

Like you said, get yourself a sniper coil, slow down your sweep and get the good deep ones the cherry pickers left behind. They are there...guarenteed! :thumbsup:

Al

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you have probably heard it before with a bigger coils I drop sens, 2 notches. It helps me out alot or maybe it is just me

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone else. Now its up to you to do the very last bit of cherry picking. Special tactics will be used. I still pull 1800's crap out of 1920's parks. Right smack in the middle of the most foil, pull tab, steel bottle cap crap infested parts of the park. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread