Who collects shells.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0029.JPG I got out today to an older site that once had a mill & a tavern, it is from the 1860s time frame. This site has given up some nice older tokens, lots of china shards as in most older sites. This rock was laying in a rock pile on the side of the field, I am sure this item is many thousands of years old, any ideas on its age, I think the rock is setament rock if that is the correct spelling, thanks for looking.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
I believe fossils usually take a minimum of 10,000 years to form - so at least that old. I can't be more specific sorry. That is most likely limestone which is sedimentary & often contains prehistoric marine life. Looks like a pretty big on too. Nice find.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the feed back. It is 8" wide and 4" high.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find thanks for sharing.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Could be a brachiopod valve, judging by the contour and decoration. If it is a brachiopod, it is likely to be Paleozoic -- say 350,000,000 to 450,000,000 years old, or older.

Hot diggity . . . The 10,000 year minimum age for a fossil is totally arbitrary, based on the well-known end-of-the-last-ice-age and extinction of the Pleistocene megafauna. This is misleading because the extinction event was extended for thousands of years after the 10k time. There is no other reason for a 10k minimum

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Nope. Looks like a shell to me. Of course it could be tens or hundreds millions of years old. Never said it couldn't be. Do you think he should bother carbon dating that piece? No? Then your guess is no better than mine.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nope. Looks like a shell to me. Of course it could be tens or hundreds millions of years old. Never said it couldn't be. Do you think he should bother carbon dating that piece? No? Then your guess is no better than mine.

I didn't realize you had a guess till now. "Shell" is a general term with only marginal value to an identification. Pelecepods have shells; brachiopods have shells; gastropods have shells; cephalopods have shells, and so on . . . which sort of animal do you think produced this shell?

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Well I haven't collected fossils in 20 years, but I still have some from when I was a kid & since your so quick on the Google search maybe you help me in the future & we'll be bestest of friends!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Well I haven't collected fossils in 20 years, but I still have some from when I was a kid & since your so quick on the Google search maybe you help me in the future & we'll be bestest of friends!

Too bad you didn't review your fossil books from 20 years ago . . . you'd be better informed and less testy. I can't imagine we'd ever be friends, but I'll be happy to help you when you post something fatuous in the future.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Your right. I can't be friends with anyone who says "fatuous". I'm sure you will be happy to voice your thoughts if & when I post my fossils. I'll respect your opinions despite your passive aggressive, pretentious manner since I admit your more into the topic than me. Does that sooth your ruffled feathers?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot Diggity please stop looking for argument.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the great feed back, now I am well informed, thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions