Who decides if finds are true or Lies ?

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m not sure about that answer sometimes it doesn’t look like it was dug and so forth.

I totally get it. I am just trying to figure out on my presentation what i can do differently now, and what was done "correctly".
With the essence of this thread being about telling an artifact from a fake, especially since we are doing it from a photo(s) of the item, i know presentation is key.
My buckle is one example of a million examples that may fall subject to poor presentation being the deciding factor on not being a believable post.
I took zero "in-situ" photo's, mostly because I did not know they were important, but also because i was too darn excited when i realized it wasn't just another tin can.
This is the only example of my items where the "crickets" were chirping, but the views say that people have taken a look-see.
I was never called out for being wrong, and am certainly not complaining.
Just trying to learn what the "crickets" can sometimes mean.
Thank you to the OP for starting this dialog, i for one am taking something positive from it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lack of in situ pics or any evidence of dirt on the find makes me suspicious. If you want a banner nomination from me, you'd better have pics of a dirty coin or relic. Just my take on it...

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lack of in situ pics or any evidence of dirt on the find makes me suspicious. If you want a banner nomination from me, you'd better have pics of a dirty coin or relic. Just my take on it...

I am sure you are not alone. I think we can all take away the importance of "in-situ" photo's when we are hunting. I know i have now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread was for an unmarked belt buckle, that i am almost positive can be traced to the time of the "Siege of Prairie du Chien" during the War of 1812.
I doubt it was jealousy in this instance, just doubt. Maybe someday an alternative can be presented is all.
I love to have certainty on my finds, regardless of the outcome.

Your unmarked buckle thread was in the "What is it" forum, it was identified there, there are 7 comments on thread including yours.

Not going to pick up a lot of comments usually on the "what is it" forum once an item is identified. Look at the "What Is It Forum", look at the replies, most have less than 8 replies total.

What Is It?

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your unmarked buckle thread was in the "What is it" forum, it was identified there, there are 7 comments on thread including yours.

Not going to pick up a lot of comments usually on the "what is it" forum once an item is identified. Look at the "What Is It Forum", look at the replies, most have less than 8 replies total.

What Is It?

Was posted in buckles, and below is the post I was referring to. The what's it post was a harness buckle.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/buckles/559949-war-1812-shoulder-buckle.html
Not nit picking though, just learning what to do to have a successful post. Also, this has now successfully hi-jacked the thread, and I apologize to the OP. Never my intention.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I always leave the good camera at the house to not ruin it, and most times leave the cell in the car again, to not ruin it. So I never can remember to take a photo while in the field. Not having an in situ photo never bothered me any. As for Indian artifacts, I'd be the first one to purchase a newly manufactured one and I can't tell the difference.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally get it. I am just trying to figure out on my presentation what i can do differently now, and what was done "correctly".
With the essence of this thread being about telling an artifact from a fake, especially since we are doing it from a photo(s) of the item, i know presentation is key.
My buckle is one example of a million examples that may fall subject to poor presentation being the deciding factor on not being a believable post.
I took zero "in-situ" photo's, mostly because I did not know they were important, but also because i was too darn excited when i realized it wasn't just another tin can.
This is the only example of my items where the "crickets" were chirping, but the views say that people have taken a look-see.
I was never called out for being wrong, and am certainly not complaining.
Just trying to learn what the "crickets" can sometimes mean.
Thank you to the OP for starting this dialog, i for one am taking something positive from it.

Hey same here I get excited and pull it out, but I detect enough and take pictures of them dirty, that my friends on TNET know I’m a degenerate digger. Lol

Mdbri

Apr 8, 2018
Maryland ,next to D.C.
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t get upset if you think it’s fake. Life’s to short to pick arguments over little stuff. An old saying you can apply to many situations. Third class people talk about people, you know gossip , second class people talk about things, my money, my woman , my car,etc, , first class talk about ideas. ,,,,

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey same here I get excited and pull it out, but I detect enough and take pictures of them dirty, that my friends on TNET know I’m a degenerate digger. Lol

Half the time, mine are cleaned up before I punch back in from lunch break. I get pretty excited when I think it's good. Hopefully I can tone it down a touch in my second season.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all I can say is that I know what I post as finds and I know I found them
anyone who doesn't believe me, well I'm ok with that ( although I wish I had more unbelievable finds)

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is disrepectable to post a dirty find, please clean all finds before posting, this is the least you can do

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The devil is in the details. Where did you find it? How deep? New spot or old spot? What did it ring up as? What else did you find that day? Alone or with someone?

Sorry, but "I found it at the beach" or "I found it at a park" aren't good enough. A few details won't give away your secret honey hole. There was even one guy who wouldn't even say what state he found it in! Come one, that's just plain silly (and paranoid).

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If you know that it's real, then you know that it's real. What does it matter what the rest of us think? Is the validation of strangers important?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal take on the subject is that there are crazy finds made. What starts to annoy me and make me think something is being marketed or there is money somehow involved,is when someone constantly puts in the thread what machine they found something with. You know what I mean...coins on detectors,the thread is more about the machine than the find...that makes me say,HMMMMM!!
The real way to post something is have it on video. I know a real dig when I see it,and how people react to the find is telltale also,if on film. Not everyone has a video setup,but it’s nice to see.
All of us work really damn hard at this detecting thing,and if something stinks then a lot of us think of the principle of the situation....nobody likes a cheater! Put in the work,slog through the weather,get whooped on 20 door knocks in a row....eventually through hard work,finds will come. None of us like the guy who takes shortcuts,and says they can do what we do,when they in reality,cannot.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes attention-starved and intellectually deficient folk post "discoveries" that were sold through eBay recently enough to appear in the completed auctions. Often the truth comes to light inadvertently when those curious about the general value of the find search eBay and then see that exact same coin, with the exact same dings and scratches and patina, was sold some time before the claimed date of the "discovery".

Also, seeing "dug" nickels that aren't red/brown, shiny steel cents and piles of indians with the sort of smooth dark patina that only develops in a coin drawer or box etc. always raises suspicions but as-per the rules most people can only roll their eyes and sarcastically comment "wow, the soil must have been mighty kind to those coins..." :laughing7:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I really think there should be a council here that decides on issue for fairness. One of my posts simply evaporated. No explanation. No warning. As far as I know, I did nothing wrong. There should be a notice that your posted was removed.

As for finds, if someone is lying about it, let them. A person of true perception can see right through the phonies.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I laugh at most of the youtube videos. I saw one where they were finding shiny bright buffalo nickels at a park. Or the one set of people who basically find only one kind of find. Youtube is totally jacked up for finds.

You know, if people want to do that stuff, I don't really care, but eventually I tune them out. It's hard work finding sites that haven't been pounded to death, and even beaches that customers have replenished with goodies are sometimes very hard to find stuff at.

I do enjoy seeing what people find here, and pretty much take what they find at face value, why not? It's on them anyway.

On one or two occasions I kinda snicker at some gold coin or other item with a "look what I found" and nothing else. But lack of a story is still not a reason to disbelieve it was found by that person.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really think there should be a council here that decides on issue for fairness. One of my posts simply evaporated. No explanation. No warning. As far as I know, I did nothing wrong. There should be a notice that your posted was removed.

Don't you recall that when you read through the Terms and Conditions here before you clicked "I agree" that you we OK with . . . .

TreasureNet is not responsible for removing or editing any post. Information you post WILL NOT be considered copyrighted or otherwise protected from use by anyone else. We make no guarantees or warrantees as to the length of time posted information will remain online. We reserve the right to delete or modify any post, avatar or image, at any time, and for any reason. We reserve the right to limit any users' access to any feature, including the ability to search, post, browse, upload avatars, etc.. We reserve the right to ban any user, and/or delete any user account (including all posts) at any time, for any reason. Bans are not subject to member review, approval, protest, or appeal.

{I bolded the relevant sentence.}

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
You just take them all with a grain, or handful of salt.
Long ago, on another site, I knew a guy who posted fantastic finds almost daily.
The Holy Grail, the True Cross, the Hope Diamond. Ho-hum. One weekend, I think he found Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart.
I noticed everyone ignored him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread