chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss two strokes.... I had a Kawasaki triple 350 S2A about 2 lifetimes ago plus a host of Yamahas RD250LC , Dad had a RD 400. Still love weed eaters and chainsaws. The smell, the noise , the vibration , expansion chambers. I know they are the pollution anti christ but I still love them'

Chub

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, when you get into the power band on the two stroke motorcycles, they are so quick! Never owned one, but rode a few. All my MC's were 4 stroke. Chain saws, weedeaters, leaf blowers, boat motors. A two stroke has plenty of power, and they can make the engine small and lightweight. They stink, they're loud. When the salmon were running on Puget Sound, there was a blue haze layer lying on the water, from all the 2 stroke motors running at trolling speed.

Quite a few car makers in Europe made 2 stroke cars in the 60's.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a boat with a used 2 stroke on it. Durned thing had a water leak, blew way too much smoke, and stalled frequently. I now have a 2019 four stroke!

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Got a 2002 merc 2 stroke on my ole 2002 Seaark 16 footer. Love it. Lighter than a 4 stroke.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed a Yamaha 115 4-stroke on my Scout boat for 17 years. It replaced a balky, loud and smoky 130 2-stroke. The extra weight on the transom helped create better conditions for the kids on their wakeboards. I couldn't resist another Scout just two weeks ago, a smaller boat with a 40 Yamaha 2-stroke with only 92 hours and used in freshwater. Its my first 2-stroke outboard in 20 years and I'm looking forward to getting out with it. I probably would not have bought a 2-stroke if I didn't have access to ethanol-free fuel in my area. The thought of running my Stihl and Dolmar chainsaws with the garbage fuel we put in our vehicles sends a shiver down my spine. I detest the E10 fuel that exists only to buy votes in corn states.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had boats all my life. I just sold what I think is my last one. It had a Honda 4 stroke 225 on it. Fantastic motor but never the low end kick the old 2 strokes had to get up and get going. That being said I wouldn't put a 2 stroke on any boat again after having 4 strokes. I never used ethanol gas in my boat. My mechanic said NEVER use it.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
weed eater , chain saws ,Rokon and my Saab yup I love em :laughing7:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved this 90 Merc ,2 Stroke .Ran like a champ, fished w/it(every day) for 5 years never a bit of problem. I'd still have it but the wife wanted a bigger boat. And sold it for the same amount I bought it for. :) 2010_1013Mttohuntdeer4th0005.JPG

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had boats all my life. I just sold what I think is my last one. It had a Honda 4 stroke 225 on it. Fantastic motor but never the low end kick the old 2 strokes had to get up and get going. That being said I wouldn't put a 2 stroke on any boat again after having 4 strokes. I never used ethanol gas in my boat. My mechanic said NEVER use it.

We have very limited availability for ethanol-free gas in our area. To our north, it is simply unavailable. I have seen many boats with the floors cut out to replace fuel tanks destroyed by the ethanol and many boat shops have "help wanted" signs for marine mechanics because it is so hard to keep up with the damage caused by this horrible fuel. When I am finally put in charge, my first act will be to ban the ruination of our fuel supply with ethanol.

My wife has, on occasion, told me "you have too many boats". She is mostly referring to my kayaks (of which the smaller ones are hers') because I have not owned more than two powerboats at a time. When she attempts to speak this way, I look at her with incredulity and ask if she is feeling ok because can anyone really have too many toys? Its like saying that someone has too many metal detectors. But I did sell off a bunch of kayaks when we moved to a smaller place with less indoor boat storage a few years ago.

When I travel, I use the following site to find ethanol-free gas:
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree on the 4 stroke .Two's are good... 4s are better :) 023.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two strokes I've had. 1969 Kawasaki 238 green steak. Man I can't believe I sold it for $200 in 1978. The other a well used, but cheap 1973 T500. Sold it to add money to by a 1974 HD Superglide. Sold that in 1977 to move to Colorado. With the money I was making in the mine, I thought I needed something to rip through the trails in in the Rockies, so I bought a new 1978 Yamaha 250 Enduro in Colorado Springs. I think I sold that for $450 in 1983 talking with a fella over a beer in the Lariat bar in Buena Vista Colorado.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 265
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 250
  • images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 248

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No place to get ethanol free gas within 100 miles of here I could find. I use the Stabil for removing ethanol.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tons of places here w/no ethanol. Right now 93 super @ 3.39 per gal.:)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tons of places here w/no ethanol. Right now 93 super @ 3.39 per gal.:)

One state over makes a big difference. I was happy to pay 3.54 last week for ethanol-free 87 octane for the boat. VA is a great state to buy real gas.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VA is 125 miles from here!

I got mine in Mechanicsville MD - also about 125 miles from you. When we go to Staunton VA (to take in a play at the American Shakespeare Center https://americanshakespearecenter.com/ ), I always stop at the Southern States store there for pure gas.

Next time we go out in your boat, I'll bring some of "the good stuff".

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of ethanol free here in Florida now. Boaters demand it. Most big gas dealers carry it. Ethanol is a political joke. I read somewhere it takes 2-3 gallons of diesel to make a gallon of ethanol when farm implements and trucking is figured in.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
93 octane No ethanol is ALL Ive ever run in my baby, and a drop of Av-gas or 104 octane booster just for the Smell of it :). Not that it needs it......I do :) 001.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOH!!! Thanks Meg. That new 9.9 hp Merc hasn't been used yet! It will love you.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOH!!! Thanks Meg. That new 9.9 hp Merc hasn't been used yet! It will love you.

Cool, many years ago I had that same Engine in a 10 Ft. john boat :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread