Who here would be interested in solid coil covers for their Equinox?

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:

So with covid interruption, my project was put on hold while I went in and out and back into employment.

I moved forward with this project at the end of 2020 and am a few steps away from making the first prototype. I'm just waiting for materials to arrive in the mail. Once I have proto type in hand I will update the thread with some photos and to once again gauge interest on TNET. If it's there, I will become a charter member and I shall link to the For Sale threads so you all may purchase the coil cover. Currently about 2 weeks out from making the first prototype.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I just went ahead and and purchased the membership. TNET has certainly been worth its weight over the years!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Nope it just adds weight and I think they look ugly.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope it just adds weight and I think they look ugly.

A solid bottom coil cover would be wonderful in a stubble field. Who cares what it looks like? I'm not looking to make a fashion statement out in a corn field or the woods.

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A solid bottom coil cover would be wonderful in a stubble field. Who cares what it looks like? I'm not looking to make a fashion statement out in a corn field or the woods.

Correct. That's the nail on the head there. As some people have unfortunately found out, the coil ears aren't super durable. Having a solid cover will allow the coil to snag less often, reducing the stress put on those coil ears.

People buy the aftermarket 3D printed stiffeners, but it doesnt attempt to stop the cause of the snags.

My cover will solve that.

Also, if you look at a standard coil cover on the Equinox, you'll see that the coil cover goes in between every space on that coil. If that coil was flattened out, there would very little open space. My cover will weigh just about the same, maybe even less. It's the same material and thickness currently.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every stubble or twig that bumps inside coil makes it read a high 20-low 30s tone and number. So aggravating

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
For field it might be ok but I would not like the added weight.
Also if it’s not removed it better be completely sealed or removable. If it gets sand and water in it jut will be an anchor.
just a thought.
Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What extra weight over a standard coil cover? Maybe an ounce or two? When I get one, I'll just drill a few drain holes in it for water, dirt, and sand, just like what I do for the stock one. The small holes I drill don't cause a snagging problem and they make it easy to flush out sand and tiny debris that may build up. Saves having to constantly remove the cover to clean and it slightly reduces the weight.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
What extra weight over a standard coil cover? Maybe an ounce or two? When I get one, I'll just drill a few drain holes in it for water, dirt, and sand, just like what I do for the stock one. The small holes I drill don't cause a snagging problem and they make it easy to flush out sand and tiny debris that may build up. Saves having to constantly remove the cover to clean and it slightly reduces the weight.
Just my protective cover / skid plate fills with very fine sand and pours out like a funnel when I tip it from side to side and if I go into water it fills with wet sand. The sand on L Michigan is very fine sand not like the corse sand like ocean sand. Mine was so bad I had to fill the open cavities on the bottom of my coil with silicone sealant. Before I did that my coil was heavy with dry sand and when that sand gets wet it is even heavier.
I understand your thoughts on a complete cover. But not in my conditions.
Before I filled it with the silicone I had to take the cove off any time I went to a beach because there was just to much inside it.
Doug

bullnose

Jan 21, 2019
Clinton County Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been lots of good commentary back and forth on this. I can see where the beach hunters wouldn't want it, but I'm with those that are looking for something a littler easier to swing in corn stubble and tall grass. My best permissions have these conditions and I would like to see for myself how much a solid cover helps in those situations.

Last edited:

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely Interested

Gauging interest in solid coil covers for stock 11" and 15" coils. This would eliminate snagging in tall grass and brush sites. Theres DIY plans online using lexan but this modifies your original coil. Theres also fabric covers that are velcroed. But i feel a nice snap on cover would be the best option and be removable easily for water detecting.

If you have any interest say yay or nay and I may start producing these.

I am definitely interested. I can see how they would be a vast improvement over the current choices being offered.

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I apologize for the delay.

The equipment I'm using ti make these needs 220v and the appointment for the electrician to come in and wire new outlet is taking longer than expected. I'll have specs and photos for everyone very soon. Thanks for being patient.

Once the process is going, covers for the 15" minelab coil and the new coiltek coils will be next.

I'll be in touch soon.

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First decent prototype today. I'm trying to get the process smooth and repeatable. The cover snaps on and holds tight, but there's a few more changes I'd like to make.

Minelab coil cover weighs in at 62.1 grams

My cover weighs in at 100.2 grams

Just over an ounce heavier.

I'm trying to source a thinner plastic currently to save a little more weight but the 38g difference isn't noticeable to me.

zQNBZxB.jpg

jK4Q0Oj.jpg

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First decent prototype today. I'm trying to get the process smooth and repeatable. The cover snaps on and holds tight, but there's a few more changes I'd like to make.

I'm trying to source a thinner plastic currently to save a little more weight but the 38g difference isn't noticeable to me.

View attachment 1910073

View attachment 1910074

I can picture that filling up VERY fast with snow, corn, water, dirt etc etc

Matt

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't advise it to be used in water because of the increased drag, nor would I advise using your coil in general to dig in the dirt or snow with. This is to prevent snagging on branches, tall grass and corn stubble.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can picture that filling up VERY fast with snow, corn, water, dirt etc etc

Matt

I hear you but if you have a lot of experience digging with solid coils in a pasture or farm field, your concerns re: corn, soil etc. collecting are really non-issues. Unless its mineralized soil, if you do collect non-metallic debris, it shouldn't affect performance and if it bothers you just tilt the coil to clear it. Not designed for water hunting, so that's a non-issue too and also precip shouldn't really be an issue. I have used a similar style cover that was provided by Garrett with my all terrain, all weather ATX coil and never had issues after hundreds of hours of farm pasture and plowed field hunting in all kinds of weather situations.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1910073

View attachment 1910074

I like it! I would also be interested in one of these compatible with the new Coiltek 10x5 Nox coil that was just released.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strongly agree with vferrari about the unenclosed top of the coil being a non issue for land hunting use. And just to let you know, I'm still interested in obtaining those solid covers for all the Minelab factory coils for the Equinox 800. Do you have the factory 15" x 12" coil? Is the aftermarket round Coiltek 15" DD a big improvement over the 15" x 12" factory coil? Price difference if any?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions