🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Who is it? Antique Photo of "famous" writer?

SlagMaster

Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this cool old photo at a garage sale in MN. The people said it was a distant family member who was a "famous" writer but could not remember his name. Not sure if the signature is his or the photographers. Any help in identifying the man in picture or signature would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
102_3138.JPG
102_3136.JPG
102_3139.JPG

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the signature and the portrait appear to me to be Robert Penn Warren (1905 – 1989). He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic who won the 1947 Pulitzer Prize for his novel ‘All the King's Men’ and Pulitzer prizes for poetry in both 1958 and 1979.

Warren 1.jpg

Warren 2.jpg

Upvote 14

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
His brother hit him in the eye with a rock in their youth. Costing him his left eye. Study the pictures and it seems to be the right writer Warren.
(I didn't find anything about his arm.)
Givin some of his subjects and era the sling could be a prop too.(?)

Upvote 5

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat ID! I can see a black sling on his left arm and a white bandage around that wrist. There seems to be a bandage on his right wrist too, ending in black bands around 3 fingers. He seems to have a blanket on his lap, like someone in a recovery chair or wheelchair. Maybe he had an accident?

Upvote 2

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Neat ID! I can see a black sling on his left arm and a white bandage around that wrist. There seems to be a bandage on his right wrist too, ending in black bands around 3 fingers. He seems to have a blanket on his lap, like someone in a recovery chair or wheelchair. Maybe he had an accident?
The black band is the shadow from the cigarette he is holding. And I believe what you say are bandages are actually his shirt sleeves.

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1
OP
OP