Who likes BBQ? I know I do

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everybody,

This past weekend I decided rather than making another coin video, to try and put together a food video. I have coin videos in the pipeline, but this was fun because I was also able to eat what I was recording. I don't recommend eating your coins :laughing7:

Please watch my first video attempt at instructing the masses on how to make pulled pork and homemade coleslaw. Any other cooks out there in the TreasurenNet universe? I'd especially like your opinions on the video.

Enjoy!
~JobIII

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Tastes like chicken

image-1610242565.jpg

Last edited:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do some black pot cooking.

Don't any sailors shoot me, but I was a cook in the Navy.:laughing7:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video!

I have become a rib master over the past year or so. I prefer the smallest babyback racks I can find then I dry rub them the nite before & leave em wrapped in foil overnite in the fridge. When cooking em I do 3 hours in the oven uncovered @ 225 degrees. Then 3 hours on the charcoal grill at about 250 degrees (not over direct heat), I position the charcoal all around the edges of the grill & the ribs in the center. Then I make some corn casserole (my own recipe) & some real Mac N cheese southern style! Now tell me who doesn't like good BBQ?????

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video!

I have become a rib master over the past year or so. I prefer the smallest babyback racks I can find then I dry rub them the nite before & leave em wrapped in foil overnite in the fridge. When cooking em I do 3 hours in the oven uncovered @ 225 degrees. Then 3 hours on the charcoal grill at about 250 degrees (not over direct heat), I position the charcoal all around the edges of the grill & the ribs in the center. Then I make some corn casserole (my own recipe) & some real Mac N cheese southern style! Now tell me who doesn't like good BBQ?????

Inspector that sounds sooooooo Good. I've never even considered dry rubbing and letting sit for a night. Probably because it's cooking during that time period. I used to make corn bread with my ribs and pulled pork. But I'm do agree that Mac N Cheese is a very nice side. I haven't made it in a while. I'm definitely not a rib master but I enjoy them :)

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol Meatmechanic, Your post and Avatar combined made me laugh. I BBQ every day of my life!!! Well no, not really but one can dream.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool video wish I could make coleslaw that fast. When I make pulled pork I never brine, but I do inject with JDanniels lol. I rub it down with yellow mustard apply the dry rub, then into the smoker @ 225* for usually about 6 hrs, then finish off in the oven over night.I use cherry and apple wood so it just has a slight smoke flavor.Check out the forums at smokingmeat.com lot of good info there.

S

stefen

Step 6 was missing...everybody spread all over the yard moaning that the pulled pork was so good, that they are ready to explode, and would sombody get some more cold beer...

Did good!

And your home address is what again?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure what black pot cooking entails. :icon_scratch:

Black Pot cooking is cooking with cast iron Dutch Oven or other cast iron pots and pans. I do a lot of “campfire” cooking, except during the summer.

BBQ and grilling is just every day stuff, nothing fancy about it. Throw a chunk of meat over a fire, stir a pot of beans (pinto beans mind you) up, and scramble up some tatter salad. Just plain Jane eats around here.

Only thing I got out of cook school, was a piece of paper that says I know what I’m doing when I burn the crap out of something. LOL!:laughing7:

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 6 was missing...everybody spread all over the yard moaning that the pulled pork was so good, that they are ready to explode, and would sombody get some more cold beer...
Did good!
And your home address is what again?

Heh, I figured that since some young treasure hunters may view this. I wanted to keep the video PG (i.e., no drunkenness, cursing, cutting a finger off on cutting board, playing with fire, etc.).

And I can honestly tell you, none of those things happened when the video was rolling. At other times well...:dontknow:

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lord have mercy,,bless your heart. Where are you from? Michigan? How do you call an oven baked shoulder "BBQ"? And you use store bought ketchup based sauce? That would insult any boston butt I ever knew. TSK TSK. Well there is my opinion, for what its worth, but my roots grew deep in South Carolina. Home of the best BBQ in these United States.

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tncreeker, way to call 'em like you see 'em :notworthy:

A lot of my guests were shocked that I used store bought BBQ sauce. But what can I say I'm a little lazy. The oven is great since I don't have a smoker. Also I've found it to be consistent throughout the year. Here in New England a smoker can have trouble during the winter months.

What sauce would you recommend for pulled pork?

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not BBQ with the smoke. It has to be pork shoulder, And thats what we do in Tenn.
I will put up some pic on the 5th I have to smoke some then. and it will take about 14 to 16 hr.

Low & Slow thats the way I like it!
And no sauce needed.It's just that good!

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine smoked with pecan wood,

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New England,,well that explains it. My daughter, and everyone else I know up there (Maine) actually boil the chicken and then throw sauce on it and burn the sauce and call it BBQ chicken. Shame on her! Pulled (not smoked) pork should have the basic vinegar sauce. Gallon of vin. 4 oz black pepper, 8 oz ground red pepper, 1/2 bottle texas pete. 1/2 cup crushed red pepper. Throw in 2 lemons sliced and heat to boil. I like apple vin. The sauce can be changed into many diff. ones to suit your taste. Half a gallon sauce mixed with 1lb brown sugar and cooked for an hour gives you a nice sweet/hot sauce. A litre of jack daniels makes it a sippin sauce, kidding, but the jack kicks the sweet/hot up 3 notches. Use the sweet/hot sauce to make a mustard sauce, just add mustard. Ketchup/Catsup is a NONONONO. This is just my opinion, and we all have one. When we cook butts we do it 20 at a time on a hog cooker. Takes all day and a bunch of beer. Lift the lid,,lose a hand, no more beer for you. Its all hand pulled, with more beer;). I think every area of every state has the "Best" BBQ as far as they are concerned. Maine does not count!! Whatever the way its cooked, sauced, pulled/chopped. There have been many spats/brawls over pride in BBQ. I have tasted some NASTY sauces that people swear will make them a million dollars. Just a matter of taste.

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusrat said:
I do some black pot cooking.

Don't any sailors shoot me, but I was a cook in the Navy.:laughing7:

A guy in my lodge was old navy and CGaurd so when we have meetings he brings a pot of beans and omg now he makes extra so I can take some home. Well being a Texas boy I love BBQ but when I lived up north for 10yrs the first time I had there BBQ it was pulled pork with vinegar I was like what the hell is this my girlfriend just looked at me So when we got married my old man smoked 6 briskest and drove them up here for my wedding all nice and sliced oh yea I was in NC. Well by time the folks ate 5 where gone they loved it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread