Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Hope your Friday was a good one. Cjon455 and I finally got together today for our first hunt. Let me just say the company was wonderful, but the humidity was awful! We both were soaked by the time we finally called it quits, but......it was certainly worth it! I had a first and my best silver day.
First we went to a very early 1820's farmhouse that I have gotten permission to hunt a few times now since last year. I scored my very first IH today in the side yard. It's pretty crusty and is going to take some tooth picking to clean up better. Just did enough to get the date-1883.
dumyna4u.jpg

masy7e7a.jpg

a2ejuzut.jpg

After we both felt we had covered the yard pretty well, Cjon asked if I wanted to go with him on his strong suit - door knocking. We drove to the little village just down the road and he secured permission at the first place he tried. I see now how he does so well, lol. We both got several wheats, silver and various relics. I was very pleased with my 5 wheats and 3 silvers. I got a screaming signal with the little lead mallet. Were these used in leather working maybe? Thanks for looking!
sa5ehute.jpg

u8y5ygy6.jpg

byny7eby.jpg

y5y7eman.jpg

Upvote 18
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find! You had good luck because you could have found this!!!

image-2457767629.jpg

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You won't hear me say anything bad about the 13th. :)

Awesome day! 1 silver makes me happy enough, but three!?!

Congrats on your first IH.

Glad to hear it went well today.

Thanks for sharing your wealth of finds!
The only thing that could have made it better is if you had been there too. Hope you do come to Scranton soon so we all can go do a hunt!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i woldn't mind being a third wheel , i have no luck gettin permissions. great finds guys !

Ask dave, I didnt do anything extraordinary, justa quick 1 minute pitch n we were in. I think its more about knowing what places to "target"

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask dave, I didnt do anything extraordinary, justa quick 1 minute pitch n we were in. I think its more about knowing what places to "target"

Yeah, I have given this some thought. You were very deliberate in picking this house and I know why now. Not gonna give away the trade secret here ( too many "guests" that take and don't contribute to this forum ), but will explain to you next time we get together, WVR!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a little cleaning on that little makeup compact I found at the first site. There was enough writing on it to identify it as " Three Flowers by Richard Hudnut New York/Paris ". EBay sellers want as much as $35 for one with the goldtone still on it. I think I will repurpose it as a "good" silver holder for my finds pouch with a little cotton inside to prevent scratching. This way it is used and since it is the perfect size to hold a half, maybe I will find a silver one then!
my2asuqy.jpg

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can't forget the 3rd Musketeer~Whadifind. He'll be in charge of making the finds in the hunted out places!

Isn't that a definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results? :icon_scratch:

If we hunted a sandbox that's no longer used, and there's nothing left to find in it, would we still go back and try again? ;)

I have no magic. :)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do your prospects know you have an army of detectorists standing outside waiting to pounce? ;)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your prospects know you have an army of detectorists standing outside waiting to pounce? ;)
Lol, "army".....

This place wasnt very big, just had that look about it

guess it was a good hunch, pulled 4 silvers and about 12-13 wheats between both of us

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job Old Dude and how did you clean that IH?

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job Old Dude and how did you clean that IH?

Thank you, Ma'am! I only used a toothpick with an occasional swab of cold hydrogen peroxide on a Qtip just to slightly moisten the stuff outside the green patina. I really wanted to preserve as much green as possible. I think they are a beautiful coin when they are emerald....much better looking than the copper.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol, "army".....

This place wasnt very big, just had that look about it

guess it was a good hunch, pulled 4 silvers and about 12-13 wheats between both of us

It really was a very small yard. The only reason I got those 2 Merc's ( which were only about 2 feet apart ) was because it started thundering and Cjon left the area of a tree in the front because of the lightning. No guts, no glory!:laughing7:

Honestly.....if I had known it was Friday 13th at that time, I wouldn't have pushed fate. I didn't even realize till late in the afternoon, lol. Those Merc's would still be there if I had a clue!

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really was a very small yard. The only reason I got those 2 Merc's ( which were only about 2 feet apart ) was because it started thundering and Cjon left the area of a tree in the front because of the lightning. No guts, no glory!:laughing7:

Honestly.....if I had known it was Friday 13th at that time, I wouldn't have pushed fate. I didn't even realize till late in the afternoon, lol. Those Merc's would still be there if I had a clue!
Yeah you're welcome lol

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver Dave! :occasion14: Congrats on the coinage. Are you saying that's you first IH ever? Looks like it may be from the rare Crustalot Tribe in PA. :tongue3: I love those coins. One of my favorite designs. That and the Merc dime.
I see you also found the small mallet that Quindy busted over Dman's noggin. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the post Buddy.
-DUHg-

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet silver Dave! :occasion14: Congrats on the coinage. Are you saying that's you first IH ever? Looks like it may be from the rare Crustalot Tribe in PA. :tongue3: I love those coins. One of my favorite designs. That and the Merc dime.
I see you also found the small mallet that Quindy busted over Dman's noggin. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the post Buddy.
-DUHg-

Yes Sir.....first IH ever, lol. Every time I would dig a green wheat, I'd be asking for an Indian! Good thing you're back, Dman was trying his boundaries without you keeping him corralled, lol. Looking forward to your posts.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very good day OD!! You are pulling some good coins lately. WTG 7 stay cool, Q.

Thank you very much, Sir. It's just like real estate, isn't it?.......location, location, location!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much, Sir. It's just like real estate, isn't it?.......location, location, location!

I felt like the k9 unit coin sniffer instead of drug sniffer at that site, I just knew it held the goods

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread