Who Says You Need To Leave Home To Find Foreign Treasure?

FutureProspect784

Sep 22, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 'somethingorother'.
About four months ago, I was detecting in a public park about 10 minutes from my house in our capital city of Charlottetown here on Prince Edward. The park's history has a fairly long history, however it is an area that has been heavily hunted throughout the years by many detectorists. Anyway, I had a few hours to kill one Saturday morning in September, so an outing to the park was in order. I decided to keep mainly to the small, somewhat overgrown footpaths, as I knew that if there was anything else of value to be found, that would be where I would find it. So I'm sweeping along with my detector, digging up the odd bottle cap and clad coin, when I get this fairly faint signal by a tree. I set to digging it, cutting my way through a multitude of tree roots, until finally I had located my target: a circular-shaped object, which at first glance I thought to be a washer, as it had a neat little hole through the center. However, since I never discard anything that is coin-shaped until I go over it with a fine-toothed comb, I put it in my pocket and continued on my merry way.

When I got home later that morning, I dug out my washer, and proceeded to carefully remove some of the encrusted dirt, enough to distinguish any possible markings. Imagine my surprise when, under a magnifying glass, I could just barely make out parts of an inscription, enough to prove that it was in fact a coin or a token of some sort. Over the next few weeks, I kept cleaning it up, and last night I was finally able to figure out exactly what it was: An Egyptian 5 Milliemes (Nickel) coin minted in 1917! Needless to say, I was a tad floored.

Here's a picture I found on the internet of the coin (my own pics didn't turn out so well):

egypt04_0B.jpg

Long story short, this is probably my best find so far (and strangest!) in my four years of detecting.

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is a very nice surprise. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us.

OP
OP
FutureProspect784

FutureProspect784

Sep 22, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Detector(s) used
potsie said:
Cool!! Is yours fairly good condition like the one in the picture?

Unfortunately, no, the surface of the coin has been fairly worn. You can make out inscriptions with the naked eye, however you need a magnifying glass to be able to read them.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way to do it, Future, take everything you can back home and clean it up and look carefully!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
egypt was a british protecturate around WW1 era 1917 --- canadian soldier (sent from the british commonwealth) over there most likely brought it home as a sovie item and lost it. quire nice.

OP
OP
FutureProspect784

FutureProspect784

Sep 22, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
egypt was a british protecturate around WW1 era 1917 --- canadian soldier (sent from the british commonwealth) over there most likely brought it home as a sovie item and lost it. quire nice.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Wow, it can sure surprise you what you can find under the surface of the ground. Some things that you never would expect to find at the place where you are standing. It sure keeps the hobby interresting.

Ray karenray08

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread