who would pay 100\50 to detect 100 oz silver bar off of 19 acres weekend hunt?

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
hey guys..... i have several 100 oz bars of fine silver worth about 1700.00 right now. what if i set up a weekend. hid (buried) a bar or two on 19 acres. and then charged 100 or 50 or so to hunt. I would have everyone start at the same time with metal detectors to find the treasure that you can then keep.
please let me know what you think. ask your friends, tell everyone. if i get enough responses...it's game on

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: who would pay 100.00 to detect 100 oz silver bar off of 19 acres weekend hunt?

What if someone found it right off ? The hunt would be over and you would have several dozen adrenalyn soaked metal detecting junkies to contend with! Why not bury a hundred silver rounds and charge $25.00 each? Sounds a little too much like a commercialized club hunt to me either way. I wouldn't want to do it. Monty.

OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
Re: who would pay 100.00 to detect 100 oz silver bar off of 19 acres weekend hunt?

Monty said:
What if someone found it right off ? The hunt would be over and you would have several dozen adrenalyn soaked metal detecting junkies to contend with! Why not bury a hundred silver rounds and charge $25.00 each? Sounds a little too much like a commercialized club hunt to me either way. I wouldn't want to do it. Monty.
i would have to trade my 50 silver bars in for something else i guess i could trade em for gold or silver rings and then bury many. i would have to toss out a hand full of pull tabs, to go with em :laughing7:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I wouldn't want the stress.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about this for a while and have reached some conclusions and I'll tell you why. This sounds too much like a commercial endeaver. There would be no mistique that is dear to most of us. You also would be in competition with local or area treasure hunting clubs who hold hunts to benifit the members and the art of metal detecting. Any profits go to improve metal detecting for all. Mostly they bury tokens that are marked to win a prize. If you bury a lot of really expensive prizes some will possibly never be found and are lost. Clubs usually don't bury expensive prizes except maybe some silver dimes or quarters. Many of the prizes are donated by club members while the big prizes, usually detectors or gold coins, etc are bought with the entry fees. And, they hold multiple hunts, usually for a couple of days and have food, kiddie events and the whole family can join in. Meeting and visiting with detectorists from around the state and even from neighboring states is a great part of the fun. And you have to remember part of the allure of metal detecting is searching for a place to hunt and finding hidden or lost "treasure". Most of us would rather find a hand full of Civil War antiquities than a silver bar. And it usually doesn't cost anything. I'd say keep your silver as a hedge on inflation or sell them and invest the cash. But that's just me. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread