Whos The Most Famous Person Youve Ever Met?

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Re: Who's The Most Famous Person You've Ever Met?

I met Billy Gibbons ( ZZ Top) at a guitar store here in Houston and talked to him briefly ---telling him I saw him once at a club when he was in the Moving Sidewalks and another time at my high school local talent presentation,when he had just started ZZ Top.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Got you all beat! :hello2:

When I was stationed at Lemoore NAS back in 1969(?) a private plane was given permission to land on a Naval Base (he knew a much higher up, in one of the squadrons). I drove the follow-me truck in front of it, to the tower.

James Arness!!!!!!!! and Doc, with 2 beautiful blondes!! Didn't care about the gals. I'm 6'3"; James Arness towered over me. My hands are large, his were twice as big, when we shook hands!

When I was a kid, every Saturday night, we'd watch Gunsmoke, then the fights. He was my hero. Have seen him since on 'talk shows' and still is, my hero.

Guess, you had to be there-

Shep

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah you got me beat, shepcal. As far as wantin to chase celebrities, I thought it would have been cool to meet Festus, and hang out with him. (Ken Curtis came out to the Children's Hospital in OKC and did a lot of visitin with the kids. He was alright.)

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

met a few presidents who wanted to catch bonefish along the Florida Keys...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was 14 (in 1977) my uncle's girlfriend was one of Elvis Presley's Personal Assistants. She got me, my best friend, and my grandmother a private tour of Graceland. When we walked into the Jungle Room, there was the King himself, sitting on the couch watching four TVs. Really nice guy. Spent about 15-20 minutes talking to us, and even autographed pictures for each of us. This was at the end of July 1977. He was dead about two weeks later.

In 1985, I was attached to a unit that trained the Iraqi Republican Guard in small unit tactics. On the day we were to leave the country, we had an impromptu courtesy inspection by none other than Saddam Hussein. As he came by, his interpreter (Saddam spoke English but didn't like to) would ask us our name and where we were from. He then shook our hands and had a picture taken. Mine is still at my mom's in Florida.

I also did security for the Stray Cats, Billy Idol, Rick James, and George Thorogood. My old security partner and I got in a huge bar brawl with the Fabulous Freebirds in about 1993, and in 1994, I made it on MTV News when I knocked out Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) at a night club I used to manage in the French Quarter in New Orleans. At the same time, my doorman knocked out a friend of Vedder's Jack McDowell (White Sox Pitcher).

There have been a lot more, but nothing really memorable.

Best-Mike

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Gollum. I was in the Jungle Room twice, but E wasn't there. 'Fabulous Freebirds'? You mean Fab T-Birds? And let me be the first to congratulate you on knocking out Eddie Vetter. Job well done.
Did I forget to congratulate you for knocking out Eddie Vetter of Pearl Jam? Good job.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've met and worked for many over the years but my favorite was Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor ( first woman to serve on the court ) . I did some remodeling at her house years ago . She's the kindest person you could ever meet and reminded me off my grandmother .

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa

well mine wasn't in person but mine was Neil Armstrong ;D helped him make his Blackberry work....that was about a year and a half ago when he had an 8700....now he has a Bold 9000 (had a teammate help him out a few months back).

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first "famous" person I ever met was Gene Pitney (and you say, who?). Singer/songwriter, had a few number one rock hits "Town Without Pity" was one. But, I'm not sure that counts - first, I played background on stage with him, and second, he was my neighbor.

Kitty Wells, man, what a performer. Her bus had a flat tire, and she went right into our little "square" in town and did an impromptu gig. I was there at the time and got to actually meet and talk with her.

Barbara Mandrell, before she was really famous, she played intro for Merle Haggard. Everyone went around back to get ole Merle's autograph, including me, and instead, he was pie-eyed and swearing at everyone. So, I went back to the front, and Barbara was sitting on the stage, swinging her legs. I had a pen, but no paper, so she gave me her autograph on a 20 dollar bill. I sat on the stage and talked to her for about 15 minutes.

Mickey Mantle. I could have done without meeting my hero. He was a jerk.

Wilt Chamberlin, Lou Alcinder (Kareem Abdul Jabar) and Bill Bradley. All playing against the Globetrotters - who I also got to meet some of them, my favorite - Meadowlark. They were all standing blocking the ladies room door at the Garden. (it was my birthday present). They all apologized, and I got their autographs and a few minutes of talk. They were all really nice.

Thurman Munson - he was a nice guy.

Dale Earnhart, Sr. Really nice man! He was doing a promo with his car in our town. He went on the next day to get into an accident at Pocono.

Not Willie Nelson - but the Honey Suckle Rose . My godson's band played intro and was invited back to the bus after the show. Very fragrant bus.

John Denver and all of his band. Came into our truckstop at 3 in the morning. The band was obnoxious. He wasn't and he was quiet.

A "Hello" from Clint Eastwood. Another nice guy. He went into Doc Rickett's in California to see my brother-in-law play. He came up to the table at break. :love9:

Nazareth, the whole band. A good friend gave us tickets for a private appearance. Invites only - we were actually seated around the band. That was cool!! (but my ears rang for the next week).

Riders of the Purple Sage - all of them, spent several hours. When we owned the bar/restaurant/store, one of our neighbors actually grew up with the main guy, so, she invited them, and we closed the bar and had a private party. That was great, too. They gave me a tee shirt, and they autographed it.

Evil Knievel - in Oklahoma.

That list doesn't include people I've seen, just people I've actually met.

B

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

lets see when i worked for sun valley pool cleaning service in pheonix ariz i metbrook shileds alice cooper and stevie nicks she was sunbathing while i cleaned the pool i would walk to the edge of her chair and turn and walk all the way around the pool and reach out wyth the vacum and then finish finally she said come here i wont bite do i have cooties i said you look awsome and i was afraid i would drool on you if i got to close i have met uncle ted ted nuggent, bobi blitz from overkill all the guys from the hevay metalband testament ,terry clark , the sons of the pioneers,randy costeo ozzies old drummer ,zack wylde before ozzie,white zombies whole line up, anthrax ,glen danzig ,billy gibbons and peraly gates ?the guitar he has recorded every zztop song on he said dont touch her you never touch a texas mans woman ,the kentucky head hunters ,the cactus brothers they were the band in the bar in goerge straights movie pure country ,kws kenny wayne sheppard ,merle haggard ,waylon jennings about pissed my pants when he shook my hand you know the whole dukes of hazzard thing2 weeks later he passed away,earl atlacson he was a aa ball palyer with yogi berra he died a few weeks ago from cancer ,becky bowman she played for the carter family and piano at the rhyman,steven pearcy from the 80s hair band ratt,dimebag from pantera ,the 70s line up of the harlem globe trotters gator rivers grandma lived down the street from me when i was a little fella,jaxx and blues singer queen bay,mike reno from loverboy ,martina mcbride,met the marlboromans wife at a black powder shoot in arizona,and dave moon crow white the lead cowboy in the nevada gold days shoot out ,randy weaver from ruby ridge at a gun show at the kansas city international expo center ,a bunch of hells angels that were at the free concert the stones put on in the 70s in new york i met them at a bike show in kc mo they had to mute thier patch mute= cover up with a pinned on hanky to be there but they never took them off,tracy lawrence,ricky nelsons boys matthew and gunner we went crappie fishing the next day after the show ,did i say uncle ted ,justin wilson the cookin cajun ,chucky bisquits glen danzigs old drummer,johnnie duncan the original robin, leon and micheal spinks,wooooooooooooo ric flair and the 4 horsemen ,arn and ole anderson all the funk brothers harley race ,all the von erics before they started to die off and dr. death steve willimas he died last weekand the king of the midget wrestlers lord little brook,and maybe some of you minnesota guys might knw this guy bad boy brian thoe he is a midget wrestlerand entertainer.and the rockers before they were real famous marty janetty and shawn micheals went to school with martyand tommy rodgers martty old pardner and yep i have met a lot of wrestlers st joseph was a big wreslting town om the 70s and 80s i was to little to remember but i met the golden greek gus caress his brother was a famous football player for the miami dolphins alex caress.that sall i that i can remember for now.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

I have met several, My favorite is my cousin Luke Perry. Great actor and a great person, runs in the family.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN said:
Cool Gollum. I was in the Jungle Room twice, but E wasn't there. 'Fabulous Freebirds'? You mean Fab T-Birds? And let me be the first to congratulate you on knocking out Eddie Vetter. Job well done.
Did I forget to congratulate you for knocking out Eddie Vetter of Pearl Jam? Good job.

Nope,

FABULOUS FREEBIRDS (two of the three anyway): Michael PS Hayes and Terry Gordy. After the fight, they bought us drinks till about 3AM. They said they always did that to get free publicity for their matches. Nice guys really, after all the BS.

Best-Mike

Attachments

• 7GhFpblaEDA6crg.jpg
    7GhFpblaEDA6crg.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 254

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites

President John F. Kennedy, President Nixon and his wife Pat, President Ford, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, President George Bush, The Beatles, The Four Seasons, Perry Como, Dick Clark, Senator (Astronaut) John Glenn, Jimmy Dean, Cesely Tyson, The whole cast of "The Beverly Hillbillies"
and a lot more...I had a nice life.

Burnt Chimney

Nov 14, 2008
Hornet Nest North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT F-75 AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not the most famous but the first was one of the Good Guys that fought off all those Savages and Bandits . That tried to rob the Train I happened to be on in 1960's. Fred Kirby and his horse Calico.

Attachments

• p081_ntbr1_000072_12.jpg
    p081_ntbr1_000072_12.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 505

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Al Kaline (my boyhood idol), Jesse Owens (who Hitler snubbed), & Mr. T two years running at comic book festivals in Madison,WI in the 90's.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain robert Morgan. Pilot of the Memphis Belle.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've met Captain Morgan - a few times - but, not Robert of the Memphis Belle. :headbang: :headbang:

B

Attachments

• drunk emoticon 1.jpg
    drunk emoticon 1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 440
  • drunk emoticon 2.jpg
    drunk emoticon 2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 438
  • captain morgan.jpg
    captain morgan.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 433

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i

Tom Massie and Ronald Reagans Wife(I can not remember her name) in Corning, NY

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aside from meeting Brett Farve and Ernie Banks, my most memorable encounter
was actually caddying for Jock Hutchinson and Chick Evans in the late 1960's at
the Glen View Club near Chicago when I was a kid.

For the record, Jock Hutchinson won the 1920 PGA Championship and
1921 British Open; And Chick Evans won the U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur
Championship in 1916. . . both titles in the same year as an amateur.
(I wish I had a few Merc's from Denver back then :D).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread