Why are kids left in cars??

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was recently reading an article that stated 13 kids have died so far this year because they were left in hot cars. It is still early in the summer so I'm sure that more will perish as the days get even hotter. I'm just wondering why. I'm an old guy and I don't recall ever hearing about this happening as I was growing up. Admittedly I was raised in Wisconsin and New York where it doesn't get as hot as out West but still, why has it become so prevelent in recent years? Maybe cars need to be designed to alert us when we leave our kids in the car just like they alert us when we leave our keys in the car.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beats me too Packerbacker. I know back in the day my mom would leave us with the windows rolled down for short periods of time when things were a little safer. I can't imagine forgetting you have a child in the car and honestly people like that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if any of you see one,call the police after you break out a window to get them out.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chemtrails, & global warming !!!!

car seat laws & Convenience .

Very small kids must be strapped in these seats, that I'm sure are a pain in the arse to
get the kid in & out of. (I'm not speaking from experience ,
but I'd guess they have all kinds of new-fangled safety procedures to satisfy the worlds baby-sitters)

and kids who just fell asleep when the parent got to the store & the parent knows the kid will be
out of sorts & either slow & Crying or Sugar shock Hyper for every candy at the check out counter.

So they make a judgement call. Sad , But understandable imo

of course then there are the truly dangerous who hop into the bar for a quick drink,
that turns into an afternoon of drinking. These are the ones that are true criminals.

the Cure.

Drive Through Grocery Stores, Tobacco Shops, Beer Barns & Liquor stores in
every town & city.

Or Air conditioned Parking Lots , with baby sitters

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any number is too many, but 13 in the world? US? one state?

A story that really burned my as*, was one my mom saw in "The Budget" an Amish newspaper.

It was a story about a toddler on an Amish farm, that fell into, and drown in a water trough. Of course the Amish said it was "God's Will", (as they always do) that he died the same way his brother did last year.

CRIMINAL negligence I say.....how stupid can you be? ??? :BangHead:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Maven, that stat is for the U.S.. Look at previous years and totals; it's crazy! I can't believe that some people actually consider forgetting your kid is in the car as "understandable". Why,....day-to-day pressure, too much on their minds, can't deal with multi-tasking?? I bet they didn't forget their friggin cell phone was in the car or their Starbucks coffee! I remember, some years back, I was going to stop off at a local bar and have a few brewskys. As I walked past a car in the parking lot I heard a sort of whimpering sound. I looked into the car and there was a very small child, surely under 2 years old, strapped in a car seat with tear stains on his face. I looked around because there certainly had to be an adult nearby but I didn't see anyone. I opened the door and removed the kid from the carseat (surprised he was in one) and I carried him into the bar. I loudly asked if he belonged to anyone in there and his GRANDFATHER, sitting at a table, where he couldn't see his car, claimed him. It was dark and cool out but still, ridiculous!
Fact Sheet - Heatstroke Deaths of Children in Vehicles

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Theyre the same people who let their little kids run around outside unsupervised.One of my painting customers is,was,one of them.I'm outside taking a butt break,interior job,and their 3 little kids are outside.Probably ages 1-1/2 to 6 or 7.going down the street,the youngest playing in the street,the little girl way down the street,out of sight of the house.The mother sitting at the kitchen table on the computer,when i go back in.And the idiots wonder how their kids get killed and or kidnapped,have to blame somebody else though when it happens.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking that 'I forgot the baby in the car' is an excuse - looking at the statistics more claim to forgotten them than left them intentionally, which doesn't sound right. I can understand the temptation to leave the kid unattended, especially since humans are stupid and don't seem to realize that the interior of the car reaches baking temperatures very quickly, and everybody underestimates just how long that 'quick one' or a stroll through the chip and dip aisle actually takes them. I don't have kids but I have some difficulty believing they forget them. As packerbacker says, I always know where my cell phone and coffee - not to mention the cat - are and I wouldn't say I'm the smartest or best organized. In any case these are actual deaths, the figures for kids suffering heat stroke etc. but surviving must be much higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread