Why are they making new coins?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Just opened my weekly 2 boxes and saw many new 2010, 50 cent coins, Why? Seems to me they are never used in regular change at any of the stores I shop in. There has to me billions of them in various vaults across the country sitting unused, except for us hunters that order then, check them and then return them. Seems like a huge waste of government money to make something unneeded.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would happy with a few of those..I know they sell for a slight bit more then face value..But you are right it does seem like a waste to keep making them..

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
because it only costs them 13 cents to mint it, and its WORTH 50 cents ;] a good money maker, the only one better would be those dollar coins...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brendan1414 said:
because it only costs them 13 cents to mint it, and its WORTH 50 cents ;] a good money maker, the only one better would be those dollar coins...

the only good thing about the dollar coins are the fact that they are starting to find up alot while Metal Detecting :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have wonder why they keep making the coins that they do. Just like the dollar coin if they want us to use it then they should just quit making the dollar bill so that way we would have to use the dollar coin. The coin last 10X longer then the dollar bill so it make since for us to use the coin instead of the bill. When you get the half's keep some out and use them to put them into circulation. I use them for gas and when I stop to buy a drink and snack at the store. You should see the people faces when you hand them 4 or 5 half's.....Matt

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You make a compelling point, Matt.

I know locally $ Presidential coins are used often for parking meters and buses locally. Don't really see them otherwise.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a 2011 Sacagawea today. I didn't even know they were still making them. The (young) teller also asked if I wanted some "old" half dollars. :o, I forgot that anything before 1990 is old to a young lady. :laughing7: No keepers. :'(

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I just wish that the powers to be would start pushing the Kennedy half as much as they push the new gold dollars.

Just think about it...if they ask the major retailers to start distributing the half dollar, they would be used more in circulation, instead of just going from a dump bag into the next skunk box.

I like having half dollars to spend. They are easy and fast to use. Cashiers enjoy getting them.

I wish they would increase the mintage of halves, and start pushing them at major retailers.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that the "last" of the Kennedy clan , Teddy has passed, i would expect that the Kennedy Half will be phased out, and replaced by the Ronald Reagan Half.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I don't see much future for halves, but I think we should (and will) definitely use dollar coins more often.
Also, since the mint sells the nifcs for ridiculous premiums, they are actually making more than just 50 cents minus the cost to make them.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
cdickrun64 said:
Now that the "last" of the Kennedy clan , Teddy has passed, i would expect that the Kennedy Half will be phased out, and replaced by the Ronald Reagan Half.

I hope not.. but with Koch Bros and Fox News and the Citizens United decision doing all they can.. it wouldn't surprise me. Don't be bought out by these people.

No offense to Reagan but I don't want to see some wrinkled old man on the coin.

I actually liked Reagan but I just find that the GOP now take his ideas to an extreme. No, do not take away Medicare! End the wars and make millionaires pay more taxes period.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congress has passed several laws mandating that the Mint produce coins no one uses such as the Sacagawea and Presidental dollar series. They will never circulate well until the BEP stops producing $1 bills.
Canada successfully introduced their $1 coin in 1986...and their $2 coin in the 90's, but only after stopping the printing presses for the $1 and $2 bills.
Back in 2001, I made a trip up to Creston, BC to tour the Columbia Brewery, and stopped at a local bank to exchange currency. I also took with my all my Canadian CRH finds that were non-silver. I also had a 1973 $1 bill that I redeemed- The teller looked at me and asked where I had gotten it. I told her I had been holding on to it for years, and she then asked if I was sure I wanted to turn it in. It was worth nothing to me, so of course I said yes. Apparently she hadn't seen a $1 bill in quite a long time, so she was all excited. Probably bought it from her till when she got off work that day.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
mlayers said:
I also have wonder why they keep making the coins that they do. Just like the dollar coin if they want us to use it then they should just quit making the dollar bill so that way we would have to use the dollar coin. The coin last 10X longer then the dollar bill so it make since for us to use the coin instead of the bill. When you get the half's keep some out and use them to put them into circulation. I use them for gas and when I stop to buy a drink and snack at the store. You should see the people faces when you hand them 4 or 5 half's.....Matt

The Federal Reserve will never allow the dollar bill to die. They would rather pay ~.05 for the paper dollar to the BEP instead of $1 to the US Mint for a $1 coin since the coin is an obligation of the US Treasury. I think this is what Kennedy was trying to do with the US Notes of the 60's. The US Notes were a US Treasury obligation versus a Federal Reserve Note.

HH,
65GT350

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heck I wish they would start makin $2.5, $5, $10, & $20 coins again. Not for CRH'ng but for easy MD'g $$$

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
I too like spending my halves. The other day I gave this teenage girl 5$ worth. She says to me,"what are these_what are they worth"! Probably could have told her its a fifty dollar piece.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Tector said:
I too like spending my halves. The other day I gave this teenage girl 5$ worth. She says to me,"what are these_what are they worth"! Probably could have told her its a fifty dollar piece.
Yea, I get that a lot when I'm travelling anywhere away from here. The local stores and resteraunts around here are now pretty much used to getting halves from me.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Stang1968 said:
Congress has passed several laws mandating that the Mint produce coins no one uses such as the Sacagawea and Presidental dollar series. They will never circulate well until the BEP stops producing $1 bills.
Canada successfully introduced their $1 coin in 1986...and their $2 coin in the 90's, but only after stopping the printing presses for the $1 and $2 bills.
Back in 2001, I made a trip up to Creston, BC to tour the Columbia Brewery, and stopped at a local bank to exchange currency. I also took with my all my Canadian CRH finds that were non-silver. I also had a 1973 $1 bill that I redeemed- The teller looked at me and asked where I had gotten it. I told her I had been holding on to it for years, and she then asked if I was sure I wanted to turn it in. It was worth nothing to me, so of course I said yes. Apparently she hadn't seen a $1 bill in quite a long time, so she was all excited. Probably bought it from her till when she got off work that day.

explains why i score so many 1 n 2 dollar canadian coins in the coin machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread