Why arent you or your club a member of the FMDAC? (looking for feedback)

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Why aren't you or your club a member of the FMDAC? (looking for feedback)

Seeing the increased possibilities of restrictions to detecting (a ban is proposed in Clay County, Florida right now :help:), now more than ever, membership in the FMDAC (Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs) is important. I want to hear what everyone's personal experiences (good or bad) have been with the FMDAC. Be as specific as you can about things that were done right or wrong. Membership is cheap insurance to support an organization that tries to help us.

So, why are you not an individual member of the FMDAC? Why is your club not a member?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why aren't you or your club a member of the FMDAC? (looking for feedback)

I suppose it's mainly because I never heard of it. What is it? Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Even if you are not a member of a club you can join as an Independent. They are the only organized group we have and do us a lot of good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got one of their cards in the mail making me a member and didn't have a clue what they were or what they did! I guess I am a member after all! Whee, it's been berry berry good to me.....I think? Somebody must have signed me up? Monty

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75

If a person loves metal detecting and wants to preserve that right I suggest all should join asap!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I suppose it's mainly because I never heard of it. What is it? Monty

I agree. Please enlighten me. 4-H

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quoted from their site:

#

To unite, promote and encourage the establishment of metal detecting clubs.
#

To preserve the sport / hobby of recreational metal detecting and prospecting.
#

To make available to FMDAC clubs and Independent members information pertaining to the hobby and to keep members informed as to active legislation

-------------------------------------

Also take a look at WWATS, www.wwats.org

This new organization has already gone to Washington DC to speak with the National Forest service. They are looking out for the future of detecting. J.D. in Missouri is the director for his state. Ask around on the forums, there's probably others involved too.

http://www.wwats.org/index.php?modu...id=13&bid=21&btitle=WWATS Information&meid=15

I suggest everybody donate to either/both of these worthy organizations. WWATS is becoming involved in actual lobbying, perhaps FMDAC has too? This is what the hobby most needs right now.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Sandman said:
They are the only organized group we have

Are you suggesting we at TreasureNet are disorganized? :o

I would like to toss my 2¢ in here.

As someone who has traveled, and experienced different forms of governance...

I think America needs one thing. BAD. "LAW LIMITS".

No new laws should be enacted without repealing another. (on federal, state, and local levels)

How many laws are there in the "Land Of The Free?".

That's the question today, and your homework assignment. :icon_thumright: How many?

We need a new constitutional amendment, of the people and for the people. Forget term limits. LAW LIMITS.

No one should need to have a law degree to get through life in the U.S., without ending up in a Federal prison. There is a reason we have encarcertated a greater percentage of our population than ANY other country.

The fight the metal detectorist wages, for his FREEDOM to detect, goes FAR beyond detecting.

TreasureNet may not look organized, but I hope somewhere, behind the scenes, there is a grand plan. :)

Marc

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marc said:
As someone who has traveled, and experienced different forms of governance...

I think America needs one thing. BAD. "LAW LIMITS".

No new laws should be enacted without repealing another. (on federal, state, and local levels)

How many laws are there in the "Land Of The Free?".

That's the question today, and your homework assignment. :icon_thumright: How many?

Marc,

Once, on this very forum a long time ago, I noted that America has so many laws that nobody really knows how many there are. One person actually challenged this as a "conspiracy theory", yet he could not name how many laws.

The problem is that lawmakers find that the path of least resistance for them personally is to enact further restrictions whenever they feel like it, or whenever some special interest group clamors. Bad hair day? Pass a law. Coffee too cold? Pass another law. Trip over your own shoelace? More laws.

Our young people, faced with a nation of 10,000 laws, learn that only one thing is certain: might makes right. More laws do not create more compliance. They create more lawlessness.

Gesture politics and lazy lawmaking have helped put us on a gradually sinking ship. There is no legitimate reason why lawmakers should be so afraid of the "R" word (repeal), unless of course they're not being entirely forthright about what it is they're trying to do in (or should I say "to") the good old U.S. of A. I have already said enough, not wanting to turn this into a non-metal-detecting thread-- and hijacking Nick's topic, which I don't want to do-- so I will say no more in that vein.

A lot of detectorists need to think about what they've done or not done to support direct lobbying efforts to protect this hobby against the gesture-politics crew and their contingent. Donating 10 or 20 bucks in clad to WWATS or FMDAC might not be a bad idea. How hard is it, really?

There should be a mechanism for hobbyists to be able to make finds on public lands. It benefits nobody to have metal artifacts slowly decaying in the ground. A lot of the coins and artifacts posted on Tnet are only 150 years old, yet they're already missing details, and in some cases corrosion has already annihilated major structural features.

(edited post, was getting too long... sorry Nick)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureNet

Total Members: 36,204

I'm not sure what our Total Active members are,
but most online at one time were 2,319

and in september alone we had 353 members join.

I Personally am not Educated enough to
put such a thing together, but personally think
TreasureNet could be a formidable voice

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

POWER is in Numbers....Someone get something going. I'm in... where do we start? Come on with it!

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Begin by joining the Federation!
For $5 per year they will keep you up to date with issues concerning metal detecting laws, that is, if the members alert the National or Chapter Offices of anything pending.
Numbers do count when going up against a government (especially elected) offical.
When Clay County, FL wanted to ban metal detecting last year the FMDAC and a few other organizations got involved. At the end they did not ban detecting and asked for the emails to stop. The Councilman did not realize there was so many of us out here. They got flooded and changed their minds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread