Why bother with so called NIFC ???

S

seger98

Well the most minted one was the 2002 P of which only 3.1 million were minted, now you take the collectors & coin dealers that already have the mojority of those coins & that doesn't leave that many left, you'd be wise to hold on to them as it won't take long for them to have a bigger premium then they already have now! But hey, you wanna throw back into circulation, you'll be the only one kicking yourself in the long run!

Look at the other coins in history with a low mintage & you should see it won't take long for them to go up in value!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
Well the most minted one was the 2002 P of which only 3.1 million were minted, now you take the collectors & coin dealers that already have the mojority of those coins & that doesn't leave that many left, you'd be wise to hold on to them as it won't take long for them to have a bigger premium then they already have now! But hey, you wanna throw back into circulation, you'll be the only one kicking yourself in the long run!

Look at the other coins in history with a low mintage & you should see it won't take long for them to go up in value!

Well said................ ;D

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't save them.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
take a look at some of the other key date coins in series. Jefferson Nickels 1939D = 3.5 mil, 1950D 2.6 mil;

look at some of the key date lincoln pennies 1909S = 1.9 mil, 1911S 4 mil, 1912S = 4.4 mil, 1924D 2.5 mil

Franklin halves 1955 = 2.9 mil

these mintages are near the same as NIFC kennedy halves and these ARE very sought after coins in there perspective series. Your $0.50 investment will surely pay off down the road.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
Shake-N-Bake said:
take a look at some of the other key date coins in series. Jefferson Nickels 1939D = 3.5 mil, 1950D 2.6 mil;

look at some of the key date lincoln pennies 1909S = 1.9 mil, 1911S 4 mil, 1912S = 4.4 mil, 1924D 2.5 mil

these mintages are near the same as NIFC kennedy halves and these ARE very sought after coins in there perspective series. Your $0.50 investment will surely pay off down the road.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
And the most recent mintage mentioned above is 1955, 54 years ago. Do you really want to wait that long? It's your call.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Shake-N-Bake said:

Happy Hunting,
Jason

Jason,

Those "key dates" were released for circulation and experienced wear and tear as well as loss. The 2002-2008 NIFC coins for Kennedy Halves were sold to collectors through mint sets and mint rolls and bags so more of them will survive in pristine condition creating less of a demand for our lower grade found in circulation coins. I am not saying not to save a roll of them but I would definitely not be hoarding these coins. In fact I have been finding enough NIFC coins that I have starting trading other collectors 2 NIFC coins for 1 40% half.

65GT350

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
i don't think anyone is going to get rich quick on NIFC but I keep any half with a mintage of 15 million or less.

halves of any sort are already hard to get, and it wont take much of a change by the mint to make them impossible to get.

also, on the fact that there are many examples in BU condition, that is true but those are in mint sets, etc. So of the 3 million minted, very few are available in the wild, and folks are reluctant to break up sealed mint sets. so its a 2-way street.

maybe a better way to say it is these are the most collectible, and whether they will have more value remains to be seen but a higher value is likely becasue they are the most collectible.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
If you don't want them than throw them back. Some other collector may come across them later and enjoy them.

No harm done.

Mojo

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Some folks have a very narrow focus on Silver only, and other folks are actually coin collectors. Someone who is a true coin collector will add the NIFC to the collection and pass this stuff along to future generations, and the NIFC's will climb in value. If you are just a silver grubber looking for quick cash, you are less likely to hang on to them... Gpurs..

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pardon my ignorance but what is NIFC?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
scavenger said:
pardon my ignorance but what is NIFC?

It means "Not Intended For Circulation". Coins that were part of a set only, and not released in masse to the banks (set loose in the wild).

Hope that helps.

:-)

John

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
3 boxes of halves already complete for Jan 2009 - no silver, but 8 NIFC's dating all the way to 2008! As it looks like there is no more silver in the "wild" I will be holding onto these at least!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread