Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why can't I find quarters with my MXT?

There's no way the parks I've been to could be THAT cleaned out! I just started using the MXT recently, it's very much like the M6 I used to have. Where are the quarters? Am I missing something? On the M6 they came up as 25 Cents, and it would almost always be a quarter. They show up as 25 cents on the MXT also, but I will MD for hours in a park and not find a quarter. It just seems statistically unbalanced! Are these Michiganders just extremely thorough or should I be looking for some other reading?

THank you in advance!

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why can't I find quarters with my MXT?

Its because I am hunting those parks with my MXT before you get there. :icon_jokercolor:

Nah, you just have,nt got one under your coil yet. Check your Disc. and keep looking. There is bound to be some there somewhere.

HH
Steve

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Quarters are easy to cherry pick. Skips all the pennies, dimes and junk.

Try refocusing on the smaller coinage. I've had pretty good luck finding dimes in areas without finding a quarter.
Al

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Quarters hit hard on any machine. When you get an 83 both ways you will almost always have a clad quarter.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

It's all been said. The quarters are easy to get, so somebody probably has just beat you to them. Or, you jsut haven't gone over one with the MXT.

OP
OP
Born Free

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you everyone for reassurance. One day I want to be the one who gets there first!

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202

What everyone else has said. Quarters hit so hard, you could nearly run across the park swinging and find them. Quarters are bound to be there, just the easy ones in the obvious places have already been hit. Have you tried looking under the bleachers at baseball/football fields? One of the best spots to find quarters because when they fell, even if the folks knew they dropped it they had no idea where it landed so most never bothered looking for them............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No need for the Sandman to step in when you guys have nailed it. All I can add is to not go where the easy pickings happen.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm going to comment just because I like to do that.

When clad quarters are hard to come by, everybody and his brother (and/or sister) has hunted that site. People lose clad quarters today faster than they lose their virginity.

Now fine tune that MXT and hunt slowly for the stuff worth diggin :wink:

Badger

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

I agree with all of the above. I have found a few with my MXT. The detector is great. I like to reowrk old sites with my MXT and focus on the small and deep stuff.
Dan

OP
OP
Born Free

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you, you're right, I'm going for the easy stuff that someone else already got.
I need to start focusing on getting deep stuff. Although I'm not sure how, I guess it's the weaker signals.
Time to learn more MDing technique. :icon_scratch:

Dallas

Oct 2, 2005
Clatskanie, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When using the MXT I like to hunt in the Relic Mode. Disc at -0- Trigger forward in the alternate mode. This gives you a two tone target ID. Iron is low tone, all non Iron is high tone. I dig all clean repeatable high tone targets and even some that are not so clean. Run your Sens as high as you can and still keep the machine stable. Usually your confidence bar and VDI numbers will give you all the information you need. By the way, if your MXT is like mine, you will actually hear more than just two tones. I know, the book says only two, but try it, and you will see what I mean. I use this mode to hunt everything, including coins. Try it, you will like it. Dallas

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT

You know I had the same problem last week. My MXT was not hitting on seated silver. I sent it off to get fixed, I think there is something wrong with it.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just like some others have said, the quarters are too easy to cherry pick.....I have had a dry run on quarters for the past 2 years....

gw1952

Nov 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, E-TRAC

you can tell real quick if your machine is in need of repair. lay 1 quartet on top of the grass, bury one at 4" flat and 1 at 8 " flat. You will not be able to set the discrimination to high to eliminate them. However set to preset below nickle and you should have no problem hearing them, If you cant hear them take it back to your dealer or call Whites. You cant detect a quarter if your coil dosent go over them. Prehaps slow coil speed down and keep the coil on the grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread