Why CRH expansion is a good thing - A theory

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are quite a few posts on this forum about why the fewer CRHers there are the better. I understand that the belief is that if there is a small number of CRHers then there will be more silver for them.
I believe this is short sighted. We first have to understand that there are hundreds of billions of coins in circulation and that half dollars are the principal target for CRHers and that their use by the general public is diminishing.
That amount of coinage is logistically impossible for just a few CRHers to search.
This reasonably would mean that many halves are stored by Loomis for the Federal Reserve and are not being used.
Thus CRHers are basically picking through the dumps of other CRHers and their own dumps, rejoicing over a few silver kernels that a moron unwittingly added to the float through Coinstar, Salvation Army kettles, or their banks.
If more CRHers are added and as a result more halves are ordered, perhaps we could bring the stored halves into the open and finally be able to search them.
For example, there are roughly 6,000 bank branches in the U.S. If one CRHer ordered 2,000 halves from each branch that would be 12,000,000 halves, which is about the number of halves that were minted in 1907. Imagine how many billions of halves there are.
Another example is that if someone searched 100 boxes a week that is 100,000 halves or 5.2 million in a year. That sounds like a lot, but how many times is that person looking through his own recycled dump and that is a lot of work.

As an aside, I would suggest spending some of your clad at stores rather than dumping 100% at banks. This way retail cashiers could possibly use your dump as change and people will throw it in their change jar at home thus taking it out of the recycled dump.

Good luck everyone.

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are quite a few posts on this forum about why the fewer CRHers there are the better. I understand that the belief is that if there is a small number of CRHers then there will be more silver for them.
I believe this is short sighted. We first have to understand that there are hundreds of billions of coins in circulation and that half dollars are the principal target for CRHers and that their use by the general public is diminishing.
That amount of coinage is logistically impossible for just a few CRHers to search.
This reasonably would mean that many halves are stored by Loomis for the Federal Reserve and are not being used.
Thus CRHers are basically picking through the dumps of other CRHers and their own dumps, rejoicing over a few silver kernels that a moron unwittingly added to the float through Coinstar, Salvation Army kettles, or their banks.
If more CRHers are added and as a result more halves are ordered, perhaps we could bring the stored halves into the open and finally be able to search them.
For example, there are roughly 6,000 bank branches in the U.S. If one CRHer ordered 2,000 halves from each branch that would be 12,000,000 halves, which is about the number of halves that were minted in 1907. Imagine how many billions of halves there are.
Another example is that if someone searched 100 boxes a week that is 100,000 halves or 5.2 million in a year. That sounds like a lot, but how many times is that person looking through his own recycled dump and that is a lot of work.

As an aside, I would suggest spending some of your clad at stores rather than dumping 100% at banks. This way retail cashiers could possibly use your dump as change and people will throw it in their change jar at home thus taking it out of the recycled dump.

Good luck everyone.

The main concern is overwhelming the banks with orders and drawing their attenion and subsequent fees or not ordering like was done at one National bank that everyone now uses as dump bank (penny arcades). The increase will cause more banks to stop ordering, not just halves but all coins. Massive increase is not good long term.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely agree with finding creative ways to dispose of the dumps. I have been thinking about this, too. Basically "floating" the coins to keep them out of the system. It is likely not feasible unless you have unlimited funds but the concept is good. It would seem possible on a local scale. I recently got my first Brinks box of resealed dump rolls and it got me thinking.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on using my halves at stores instead of taking them to the banks. i went to one bank and asked for halves. I haven't been here in two weeks and they do quite a bit of traffic, so I thought I would get some MRHs. Nope. All I got was 9 CRHs, my own! that I dropped off 2 weeks ago. ::groans:: god that stunk. I did take them anyways. I will just switch them out at some of the stores, rather than take them to the bank. The good news is that I found a bank that is willing to put in a order for me, for a $500 box of halves. So in addition to my work place I now have an bank I can order them from. I won't return them to that bank because its a tiny branch that does hardly no business. they only have 9 rolls of nickels in their branch.

Hugs and Smiles
-Garoulady

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Senor, this is a great idea! If everyone (well, most of the people) used 50$ or more instead of dumping into the bank for gas/dinner/ect it would be extremely good, people would see halves floating in circulation, maybe could make them mainstream again, to be honest, we [COULD] do it. Add all of our hunts together, we probably do $100k a month in halves country wide. We get some of that circulating, people start using them, banks order for their use, seems less fishy if people buy by the box!
I like the idea,
Wicka.

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
i dumped 5 of them at a store last night and the cashier wasnt too excited.. kinda gave me a look when i pulled a handful outta my pocket.

stopped at a bank today and directly told the teller (she was fairly older & very nice) what i was up to after i saw a older lady dump a gallon ziplock bag full of half's and small dollar coins in exchange for cash... the teller actually went through all of them at the counter with me after she left and sadly didnt find any good ones... but you never know.
She even told me to call and ask if any half's come in whenever i wanted & said she was more than happy to take my rolls of dump coinage because it dont bother her :)

i do like to dump a few here and there though.. its always nice to pollute the towns i visit with em

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all for expansion the federal reserve has quite a bit of halves in stock, I would like to see these used in daily use because the fed is sitting on them and taking up space, so get those things used up. If the federal reserve wants more made they will get them made but in the meantime use up there stock of halves and dollar coins

Thanks

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half dollar revolution! Let's start it, boys and girls! :director::walk::walk::walk:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is kind of interesting since i was going to start a post describing the experiment I have been running the past 6 weeks in my town. I CRH in a small town with a couple national banks and about 5 regional banks. I dump in Wilmington ( medium sized city about 50 miles away), where the tellers don't mind the halves. But what I have been doing over the past couple weeks is spending halves in an area around 1 particular bank. I remembered that when I was working in the retail biz, everywhere I worked would bank at the closest bank. It just made it easier for deposits and coinage pickup. The idea of spending in the area was to pepper the local businesses with halves and thereby return them to this one bank. I also marked a couple of them with the date. With my current business, I bank 3-4 times a week at multiple banks. Every time I would go into this one particular bank, I would make sure to ask loudly enough for halves so that all the tellers could hear me, and I would buy all that they had in their trays. I would always get back the ones I had marked a couple days later. But the experiment started paying off last week. I noticed when I walked into the bank that the first teller that noticed me walk in waved at me and put up 2 fingers. Sure enough she had 2 halves for me, and by the time I got to the window, she had collected all the loose halves from the other tellers. Today when I walked in the teller in the drive thru happened to see me first and handed a roll to the vault teller and pointed me to her window. This roll was not any of the ones I had marked, and had a 64 Kennedy in it. Basically what I did was get the tellers used to seeing halves again and then made sure they knew that I would buy whatever they had and they got used to holding them for me. Now to start seeding the rest of the town, and hitting up other banks.

I am only talking about spending a roll per week in the stores.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on using my halves at stores instead of taking them to the banks. i went to one bank and asked for halves. I haven't been here in two weeks and they do quite a bit of traffic, so I thought I would get some MRHs. Nope. All I got was 9 CRHs, my own! that I dropped off 2 weeks ago. ::groans:: god that stunk. I did take them anyways. I will just switch them out at some of the stores, rather than take them to the bank. The good news is that I found a bank that is willing to put in a order for me, for a $500 box of halves. So in addition to my work place I now have an bank I can order them from. I won't return them to that bank because its a tiny branch that does hardly no business. they only have 9 rolls of nickels in their branch.

Hugs and Smiles
-Garoulady

You shouldn't dump at your pickup bank no matter the size of the bank.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am telling you, this is like a game of telephone. The rules are stuck to this forum at the top. The more people the more this turns into a bad game of telephone where things grow and the rules change each time a new hunter starts, more bad habits and more pissed off coin processers and bank executives.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'm all for getting more halves into circulation. However, increasing the number of CRH'ers in my area is not the way I'd prefer to go about it. The more people that CRH here, the harder it's going to be for me to dump. Dumping halves by spending them is a nice idea in theory, but I don't see myself spending $1,000 plus per week.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is kind of interesting since i was going to start a post describing the experiment I have been running the past 6 weeks in my town. I CRH in a small town with a couple national banks and about 5 regional banks. I dump in Wilmington ( medium sized city about 50 miles away), where the tellers don't mind the halves. But what I have been doing over the past couple weeks is spending halves in an area around 1 particular bank. I remembered that when I was working in the retail biz, everywhere I worked would bank at the closest bank. It just made it easier for deposits and coinage pickup. The idea of spending in the area was to pepper the local businesses with halves and thereby return them to this one bank. I also marked a couple of them with the date. With my current business, I bank 3-4 times a week at multiple banks. Every time I would go into this one particular bank, I would make sure to ask loudly enough for halves so that all the tellers could hear me, and I would buy all that they had in their trays. I would always get back the ones I had marked a couple days later. But the experiment started paying off last week. I noticed when I walked into the bank that the first teller that noticed me walk in waved at me and put up 2 fingers. Sure enough she had 2 halves for me, and by the time I got to the window, she had collected all the loose halves from the other tellers. Today when I walked in the teller in the drive thru happened to see me first and handed a roll to the vault teller and pointed me to her window. This roll was not any of the ones I had marked, and had a 64 Kennedy in it. Basically what I did was get the tellers used to seeing halves again and then made sure they knew that I would buy whatever they had and they got used to holding them for me. Now to start seeding the rest of the town, and hitting up other banks.

I am only talking about spending a roll per week in the stores.

Well played my friend...WELL PLAYED!!!!!! that is honest to god the best idea I've heard on here in a loooong time. Jose Coinseco gets runner up with his house hunting idea

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm all for getting more halves into circulation. However, increasing the number of CRH'ers in my area is not the way I'd prefer to go about it. The more people that CRH here, the harder it's going to be for me to dump. Dumping halves by spending them is a nice idea in theory, but I don't see myself spending $1,000 plus per week.

$h*t, I spend a grand a week on champaigne, dawg. That's how I roll, holmes...

So... yeah.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I paid for a meal one time in halves after letting a tip in halves as well
As soon as I paid my bill the lady yelled for the rest of the workers and they all came running with cash to buy them. I thought to myself...have they ever seen them before, don't they know they can get them fairly easily?
So I agree with the original statement, very well thought out.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the rising silver price comes circumstances, some bad and some hilarious. This is the hilarious side. I bet that they all thought the halves were silver and that you were the sucker for leaving
them as payment. Reality is that they heard you can get silver from half dollars, so put 2 and 2 together and they came up with 5 as they think every half dollar is silver. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions