Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about a question posed below in the message boards. So after coming to grips with my raison d'etre, I think I can say a word or two as the new kid on the block here at TreasureNet. Feel free to respond with your ideas or comments!

I've been detecting since I was 12 years old. I had visited a house of one of those old "veterans" who had already been metal detecting for 30 years. I was in awe such items existed, and that there were coins underfoot wherever I walked. Originally I was into the hobby because it was different and interesting. It wasn't so much about finding the old stuff as much as just finding items (at that age, everything is cool!) Since then, I have realized that my reasons for being a detectorist have changed. I'll try to sum them up, in no particular order:

For me, it's about the prospect of one of those rare thrills; the intoxication of a great find. It's about the unusual items that seem to breed and multiply underground. Metal detecting is like Christmas morning every time--and you never know what you'll get (the greatest gift you ever wanted or just another pair of underwear [a.k.a. "pulltab"]). The people (this includes all the priceless friends I've met along the way all the way up to the sacred "digging buddy" and I'll also include the wierd, quirky, scary, deranged people that I've met that live on only in memory and provide me with interesting stories to tell!

Metal detecting is about sorting through old musty books and microfilms. It is about a window into the past as well as a window into others' lives. I once found a gold class ring and tracked down the owner--a man in his late 40's who was working as a butcher about 2 hours drive away from where I was. When I showed him the ring, he broke down in tears. His high school sweetheart and he had been in a fight, and she had left him, and thrown the ring out into their yard. The two had now been happily married for 25 years. I could tell that the returned ring was for him a type of closure that he had not been able to have...a flood of memories that only he could experience and I could only watch. That moment profoundly affected me.

Finally, metal detecting is about awareness. Most of the world walks across interesting and historical items inches beneath their feet every day. We have that awareness and that access to what lies under our feet. We have the awareness of what things were like 50 or 100 or 200 years ago. We have experienced being the first to touch 100 or 200 year old coins since they were lost. Detectorists I've found are an imaginative bunch ("perhaps that old fence row wasn't always there..."). Detectorists are hard workers (sun boiling down. sweat. yellow jackets. angry bulls. snakes. sunburn. (need I say more?). Detectorists are dreamers.

Always keep fresh batteries,

BuckleBoy

Upvote 0

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Hey Buckleboy, damn nice post! I like the story of the returned class ring! I look forward to your future posts! ;D
And welcome to Treasure Net!!!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 217
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 222

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I think you have explained the way most of us feel. I never thought about why I like to detect but I enjoy it immensely. I think mostly it is the thrill received when you pull up that diamond ring (five small diamonds but diamond non the less), or a watch fob from the 1909 worlds fair that says "Meet at the warpath." The watch fob was one of my favorite finds and naturally it got lost during one of my military moves. This hobby is all about fun and everything else you mentioned above. HH and welcome to the forums.

Cal

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your comments and support. It's great to be here. I've got some juicy photos coming soon!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing for me to add! You summed it up very well!

Welcome to the forum!

Nana ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Think I just like buying batteries.

Something about foundling a fresh 24 pack of
Ray O Vac double A's.

So slim, silver, black, with just a splash of red.
Big old AA on the side.
And it makes no difference when I buy them,
they are always "NEW AND IMPROVED."

Think we are all in it for different reasons.

have a good un..............

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I, like Sherm, have a battery fetish. I meet with a bunch of guys every Thursday night & we swap stories, give each other support.............it realy helps. PM me Sherman if you'd like some help, I'll send you some pamphlets & a couple phone numbers of people who care & want to see you through this. ;D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. Batteries. The only thing I have a fetish for concerning batteries is what I'm gonna find with em.

Good Luck All!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread