Why did he bury $200k in gold and silver and then post it for anyone to find?

Kneo

Greenie
Sep 26, 2011
Leominster, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 60 year old man committed suicide yesterday (August 15th, 2013) and before doing so, created a website on his entire life Martin Manley Life and Death - SUICIDE Preface. In the website, he simply left a message that he purchased gold and silver back in 1998 and a set of coordinates which lead to a park. A phone call this morning to Park officials reported that there were people already waiting to get into the park.

38.800542, -94.687884

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.8...gl=us&ei=CSoOUrWMEKThyQGFroEw&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAA

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's true, I'm sure officials will have found it & put up no digging signs,
before allowing people in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"no digging" ?

if it's true, I'm sure officials will have found it & put up no digging signs,
before allowing people in.

What do you mean to have put up "no digging" signs? There are probably (most assuredly) ALREADY laws/rules that forbid "digging" in a public park like that. Maybe not using the word "digging", but ... at least.... forbidding "defacement", or "alterations", or .... something of the sort. Thus, shame on those md'rs for thinking they could go retrieve that! :tongue3:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume if its in a park, anything found will be claimed by the City / Authorities?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I assume if its in a park, anything found will be claimed by the City / Authorities?

Yes, and that can be enforced by the "no harvesting" or "no collecting" texts that exist in all city rules/laws. You know, such verbage that came about 100+ yrs. ago, so no one thinks he can take home the swing sets, picnic benches, roses to sell at the flea market, etc... And if someone thinks about it long enough and hard enough, can be made-to-apply to singular sea-shells (can't pick any up), coins, pulltabs, or treasures such as this. Shame on all of us for thinking we can simply help ourselves to city goods. Tsk tsk.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that's the citys money no doubt about it.. Their land their rules.. This man did this for a reason and I find it ahrd to believe that reason was for the city to greedly claim it..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean to have put up "no digging" signs? There are probably (most assuredly) ALREADY laws/rules that forbid "digging" in a public park like that. Maybe not using the word "digging", but ... at least.... forbidding "defacement", or "alterations", or .... something of the sort. Thus, shame on those md'rs for thinking they could go retrieve that! :tongue3:

Well if true You know Someone will arrive with a Spade & a brand new radio shack detector, But without Brains :laughing7:
I still think they would double up on the signs & be more Explicit.
whether they found it already or not.

The Fines they make will help pay the taxes on the $200'000

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE: KCTV, the first major local news organization to report on Manley's death, has confirmed through police that he did indeed commit suicide yesterday morning around 5 AM.
However, Overland officers who have combed the scene of the alleged "buried treasure" say there is no gold to be found, and are referring to Manley's claim as a "hoax."
Family members who spoke with the news station apparently confirmed this, telling the CBS affiliate that Manley gave all his coins away prior to taking his own life.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 11.49.19 AM.png

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep looks like the Park Officials, or police took it already

[h=3]Police: Dead man's claim of $200K coin buried at arboretum a hoax[/h]
OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) - A man who committed suicide claims he buried $200,000 at an area arboretum, but Overland police say it's a hoax.
However, extra police apparently are at the Overland Park Arboretum to prevent people from coming with shovels and other utensils to dig. Police themselves used metal detectors to search for any treasure, but found nothing.
Officers turned away at least a dozen people who had high hopes of finding buried treasure. It is illegal to dig at the arboretum, which is city property.

VIDEO
Police: Dead man's claim of $200K coin buried at arboretum hoax - KCTV5

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Police themselves used metal detectors to search for any treasure, but found nothing."
Of course they didn't find anything. You need experience with a metal detector to know what to listen for. You might even need a two-box unit.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"Police themselves used metal detectors to search for any treasure, but found nothing."

"Okay Sarge, you go tell the press we didn't find anything, I'll go to the bank and put the down payment on the donut shop."

Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 4.31.52 PM.png

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they didn't find anything. You need experience with a metal detector to know what to listen for. You might even need a two-box unit.

Or an honest bone in their body to admit they found it :laughing7:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever seen the detectors the cops use? There like Walmart 49.95 specials - they can't find much with those!!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Ever seen the detectors the cops use? There like Walmart 49.95 specials - they can't find much with those!!!!!

Such is true. But go figure, the same is true of ANYONE who goes and gets a detector, and goes out to use it for the first time. We've ALL seen the stereotypical scene of the guy swinging the coil 1 ft. off the ground, no headphones, coil bolted/mounted backwards, and the guy swinging next to his steel-towed boot trying to "isolate the signal he just heard", etc.... So this is no "slam" on the police or their ability. It's just simply true of anyone who picks up a machine for the first time.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The police missed it but I wont...whos with me? I don't want to go down alone.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently most of the detectorists in and around the area where I live practice putting things back like they found them as there is no ban on metal detecting here. I often hunt some sites that I know have been covered several times and have never seen any excessive visible evidence of slob metal detecting. We have 3 or 4 clubs in this area that hold events open to the public about once a year each and I have made several friends with the same interests by attending them when I can. That may be why there isn't much if any damage left behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread