Why do Coins Have Dates on Them?

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Really, why?! Way back thousands of years ago, people didn't need dates on a coin to help them identify value, right? All it needed was a symol saying that it was worth an X amount of gold/rice/cattle/etc. When they started making coins, I think that collecting them was out of mind! You don't need a date to identify a cent or a half, right? All it really needs is One Cent, or Half Dollar.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Progress" and "Development," both measured over time--and both hopelessly intertwined with the almighty dollar. :-\

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That way it gives something more to try to find

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
well, as far back as the Romans governments debased the coins by minting them with increasingly less gold, silver, or copper. perhaps modern governments anticipated doing this in the futures and needed to be able to tell the old and new ones apart.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in case they want to start over and declaire
everything before a certain date useless

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my gf told me it makes it "prettier" lol

...i vote because chuck norris was there at one time.

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
jeff of pa said:
in case they want to start over and declaire
everything before a certain date useless

as New ruler/king/queen took over conquered region..etc

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is pure speculation but I think that in ancient times(Greek and Roman), sometimes Rulers served short periods of time and during their reign coins would be minted bearing the likeness of "Caesar du jour."
If that ruler was an imbecile or worse the coins would not have a great acceptance after the reign was over. The majority of those coins were most likely melted down and restruck with the image of the "newest come lately" Emperor.
Perhaps one ruled for a long time, say 5 years. During the beginning of their rule they were kind and benevolent. Then the power thing twisted their brain and they became cruel. Well, the earlier coins of that reign were more popular than the later ones of the twisted ruler. How to distinguish the two types of coins?
Viola! Dates!

My WAG

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread