Why do people sell crap like this?

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This person has 100s of listings and claims the items are authentic even though they are selling them in a non-native American category. Buyers are purchasing them and then leaving feedback saying they are fake.....You would think a buyer would know better and you would think the seller would have some ethics!

I am no pro at identifying fake artifacts, but come on!

$_57.JPG $T2eC16JHJIkE9qU3iyOJBRZ-3UF)FQ~~60_57.JPG

Upvote 0

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
To answer your question, because they can.

I don't agree with it only if they claim they are true artifacts. These things are in every gas station and trinket shop in New Mexico.

At our local flee market there was a guy selling all kinds of India crap including arrowheads and knife blade/spear points. I asked him about them and he claimed to have knapped them. Being a flintknapper I knew better but I played along with him. He even told the fib about using hot water to notch the arrowheads when I asked him how he did it. I was having fun with him but he was a dishonest seller. At least he didn't claim they were artifacts.

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess my question was rhetorical. It just makes me mad that people sell this stuff as authentic.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I don't mind buying one as long as I know I'm not being deceived. I have actually encountered a seller trying to say they were found in NC and I know for a fact some of them materials like agate is not normally from NC. The ones I would be more concerned about is the more popular types: Clovis, Cumberland, Folsom, Hardaway, Quad, etc. I actually see a few sellers on ebay that either label their arrowhead as a Hardaway when it's a heavily resharpened Rowan or they just have a poor picture quality with an arrowhead that looks too good to be true. Sometimes, I just like to watch listings sometimes just to see what the ebay market is selling artifacts for. I have actually seen artifacts that sold or bids where placed, and then about a month or so later that same point gets relisted. Hmmm....unscrupulous huh?

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one I get a kick out of is every crude crappy looking tool gets labeled as Paleo.. As if some people believe they must have been closer to the ability level of an ape back then..lol... Good ol flea- bay

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea I don't mind buying one as long as I know I'm not being deceived. I have actually encountered a seller trying to say they were found in NC and I know for a fact some of them materials like agate is not normally from NC. The ones I would be more concerned about is the more popular types: Clovis, Cumberland, Folsom, Hardaway, Quad, etc. I actually see a few sellers on ebay that either label their arrowhead as a Hardaway when it's a heavily resharpened Rowan or they just have a poor picture quality with an arrowhead that looks too good to be true. Sometimes, I just like to watch listings sometimes just to see what the ebay market is selling artifacts for. I have actually seen artifacts that sold or bids where placed, and then about a month or so later that same point gets relisted. Hmmm....unscrupulous huh?

I watch stuff on there as well. Lots of fakes, re-works, and junk. However, I have seen some pretty nice stuff with multiple COAs. It's fun to check it out sometimes and see what is listed and how much it goes for. I haven't bought anything there and probably never will.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This person has 100s of listings and claims the items are authentic even though they are selling them in a non-native American category. Buyers are purchasing them and then leaving feedback saying they are fake.....You would think a buyer would know better and you would think the seller would have some ethics!

I am no pro at identifying fake artifacts, but come on!

View attachment 987421 View attachment 987422

All of those are India jasper and another dead give away is the small notches, they use steel over there to knap and notch. But the bad thing is they are getting better at what they do, some American knappers are teaching them how to fake, these will be the next wave of fakes, take my word for it.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I certainly have my own ideas regarding fakes, knappers who make them and those who buy them, individuals and companies/sites. It's too late to solve this problem in the hobby and in Archaeology IMHOP. It's the Future, Man! Good Luck! Happy Knapping! Happy Selling! Happy Buying! I mean it, Good Luck.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't look for points for sale I don't even see any and if I'm looking on the web for info I don't even attempt to click on anything that says eBay !!! I like finding them and trying to figure them out :)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I think we all realize just be very careful and you certainly can find the real deal, and nice ones at that, on eBay.
Here's my favorite eBay find. A no brainer, but I have been nailed on eBay a couple times too, and 95% of our collection are personal finds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't look for points for sale I don't even see any and if I'm looking on the web for info I don't even attempt to click on anything that says eBay !!! I like finding them and trying to figure them out :)

I like finding them as well painterx. Unfortunately, I am only able to hunt for a couple of weeks a year because of where I live. So I am interested in buying some things to add to my collection....but not these things!

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I think we all realize just be very careful and you certainly can find the real deal, and nice ones at that, on eBay.
Here's my favorite eBay find. A no brainer, but I have been nailed on eBay a couple times too, and 95% of our collection are personal finds.

Incredible!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a few years ago ebay was inundated with north Africa points, the material and styles were very similar to Columbia river points and they sold them in lots of 50 or 100 for dirt cheap.... guess what I am seeing on ebay today as "Columbia river points"?.....

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the word fake for a modern knapped point, is incorrect. Points are made with real material, where has anyone ever found fake flint or any other material that is being used for knapping ? There are some good knappers and there are some terrible knappers. I have heard of two modern knapped points that sold for $1500 for the two, as modern knapped points.

To say they are fake, would be like telling anyone that reloads ammo, that they are fake shells !!!
Call things what they are, not something else.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're being portrayed as ancient and they're not they ARE fake artifacts... A lie... FAKE

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Using the word fake for a modern knapped point, is incorrect. Points are made with real material, where has anyone ever found fake flint or any other material that is being used for knapping ? There are some good knappers and there are some terrible knappers. I have heard of two modern knapped points that sold for $1500 for the two, as modern knapped points.

To say they are fake, would be like telling anyone that reloads ammo, that they are fake shells !!!
Call things what they are, not something else.

Call them whatever you like. If they were not made by Native Americans and are not from a corresponding ancient time period, they are fake, reproductions, junk, garbage....whatever you want to call them. That being said I think some modern napped artifacts are pretty cool. But when someone sells them using deception, I'm going to call them fake garbage! It is no different than selling a reproduction monet painting as an original, a rare US postage stamp repop, or any other item that is rare and has been faked. No one sells ammo as a reproduction because ammo has no great value. Why would someone reproduce fake Winchester 12 gauge shotgun shells and make a couple of dollars when they can reproduce a lead ball, say it is from the Revolutionary War and sell it for a lot of money....Fake Monet's, postage stamps, and everything else are also made from real materials....They are still fake!

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank god I don't have the money to buy artifacts. I have sold a few but gave more away to family members. Now I can keep everything I find and be happy. Good luck buying on E-Bay. I would stick to the forum members is my best advice. You can post and sell on Arrowheadology for free if you are a member.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions