Why Dosent Garrett Make a "Water Proof" cable Extension for the ATP?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why Dosen't Garrett Make a "Water Proof" cable Extension for the ATP?

I can't figure out why Garrett doesn't make a water proof extension for the ATP? It would work with the standard ATP head set,plus their water proof head sets? The one they offer allows the use of any head set that has a 1/4 inch jack,but that also defeats the purpose of having a water proof machine. It doesn't make any sense to me?:dontknow:

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just what I thought! No one knows why?:laughing7:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damb good question

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Great question rks. Why don't you drop them an e-mail ( [email protected] ) and let us know what they say - they might give you one because it really is a great idea.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rks1949...your a man on top of his game, I like that...Like upnavy posted, send them and e-mail....

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Great question rks. Why don't you drop them an e-mail ( [email protected] ) and let us know what they say - they might give you one because it really is a great idea.

Heck with a free one .. ask for 10 percent royalties on future sales :)

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would somebody need an extension? Headphones mounted on your head can only be as far away as your arms are long?

Not trying to be a smart a**...just curious.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would somebody need an extension? Headphones mounted on your head can only be as far away as your arms are long?

Not trying to be a smart a**...just curious.

I look at this way...why would Garrett offer to sell and extension that ISN'T waterproof for the AT Pro that IS waterproof...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not and extension cord, you are confused. The adapter is an adapter, not an extension cord. It allows you to use standard phones with standard stereo jacks. 90% of atpros never see water and if so, only 5% of the time. So Garrett offers the adapter because everyone wanted to use a decent set of phones with it, on land or in shallow water, and garrett has sold a ton of those adapters because the vast majority of users dont go chest deep in the water and dont care about waterproofyness, they just want to use good phones. They offer the adapters so you can use a good set of phones that you prefer, you are not forced to use the stock phones. Anything is better than those stock crappers. If you decide to hit the water, just put the factory phones back on, which you will dread after using something like pro golds or black widows.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing that causes confusion is that people do not understand that standard stereo jacks and sockets simply are not designed to be waterproof. Check out the IP system. IP - Ingress Protection Ratings. The atpro is somewhere around IP68. Standard stereo headphone jacks are somewhere around IP00.

Last edited:

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
90% of atpros never see water and if so, only 5% of the time. So Garrett offers the adapter because everyone wants to use a decent set of phones with it, on land or in shallow water, and garrett has sold a ton of them. I see what you are thinking. You want a patch cord with waterproof plugs that will give you more headphone cable slack. The factory headset cable seems, at first, much too short, and it is. You can fix that by stretching, and stretching, and stretching and stretching that cable out as far as you dare. That is the first thing I did to mine and it fixed the problem, but the phones still suck. I am more of a land lubber and I could not stand the cheap stock phones, so I got the adapter and pro golds, which are orders of magnitude superior to the stock phones. The water guys are drooling over the new Grey Ghost Amphibiansy .

Personally I disagree with your assumptions that 90% of atpros never see water...that is a BIG SELLING point that Garrett offered with this unit ....Also this isn't about STRETCHING and STRETCHING the CORD or BUYING Grey Ghost Amphibians......THIS IS about an water proof extension for the ATP that Garrett should offer........GeeWizz...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Potts I revised my post several times because I was absolutely baffled by rks1949's post and changed my mind, and changed it again. Anyone that reads this thread will not see the wordage that you quoted, in my actual reply. You probably missed that I revised a few times in a very short time, and you quoted me just before I revised. No biggy. It is clear that rsk1949 did not understand the intent of the adapter. I think he thinks it was intended as an extension cord, but I cannot be sure at this point. If for some bizarre reason Garrett offered an extension cord for its water machines, then it would be waterproof with matching o-ring sockets, but that aint gonna happen, there is no demand for such product. rks1949, do you think the phone cable is too short? When I got my pro 2 1/2 years ago, I noticed the phone cord was too short immediately. Actually, it is not too short, it relaxes eventually, but stretching speeds up the process. So let's review some facts that are cast in granite:

1. The adapter works for adapting standard headphone jacks to the machine so you can use good phones, but since standard phone jacks are not IP rated, you cant go swimming with it.
2. Garrett does not make an extension cord, waterproof or otherwise, for any headphones, and probably never will, because that would be just silly.
3. Stretching the cord works very well and solves the problem of "too short of a cord".
4. The vast majority of atpros are used on land.
5. Nobody wants or needs a waterproof extension cord because they now have read fact #3.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not and extension cord, you are confused. The adapter is an adapter, not an extension cord. It allows you to use standard phones with standard stereo jacks. 90% of atpros never see water and if so, only 5% of the time. So Garrett offers the adapter because everyone wanted to use a decent set of phones with it, on land or in shallow water, and garrett has sold a ton of those adapters because the vast majority of users dont go chest deep in the water and dont care about waterproofyness, they just want to use good phones. They offer the adapters so you can use a good set of phones that you prefer, you are not forced to use the stock phones. Anything is better than those stock crappers. If you decide to hit the water, just put the factory phones back on, which you will dread after using something like pro golds or black widows.
From the looks of the one's I've seen,they plug into the front regular fitting,then extent to the bottom of the cuff,and terminate into a 1/4 inch female jack plug. That appears to be an extension to me? Since your orginal 1/4 inch jack plugs into the one under the cuff. That aside,I hunt a long ways from the truck,and sometimes get caught in a down pour/steady rain. I carry a rain poncho with me and continue to hunt rain or not. I can see water getting into the 1/4 jack connection,in a steady rain or down pour. One of the main reasons I bought a ATP was because it can operate under wet conditions,and mine has,also I don't think you would want the MD to slip hunting in knee deep water,and fall into the water with a 1/4 inch jack connection.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C I agree with u in everyone has an opinión on something but I dont agree with thats how everyone thinks its Fine to speak for urself but like me & others I think we can speak for ourselves & how did u put together ur facts that they dont c much water how many Atpro detectors r u around a day owners of thst machine u r in 1 town 1 state theres 49 more & the rest of the world so to say how it is would b false unless theres proof WHO knows mayb garret will come out with a longer cord waterproof WHO knows the president of the garret company he knows

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But, if it had a water proof extension on both ends then it wouldnt work with all the other head sets that have the
regular 1/4" plug no?

Pete
Well it could Pete,if you also had the regular extension with the 1/4 jack plug. The bad part about that is "if" you were water hunting,even in knee deep water,and somehow dropped your ATP with the regular 1/4 inch jack plug,it wouldn't be very pretty!:BangHead: Pop,Crack,Fizzel!:laughing7:

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Potts I revised my post several times because I was absolutely baffled by rks1949's post and changed my mind, and changed it again. Anyone that reads this thread will not see the wordage that you quoted, in my actual reply. You probably missed that I revised a few times in a very short time, and you quoted me just before I revised. No biggy. It is clear that rsk1949 did not understand the intent of the adapter. I think he thinks it was intended as an extension cord, but I cannot be sure at this point. If for some bizarre reason Garrett offered an extension cord for its water machines, then it would be waterproof with matching o-ring sockets, but that aint gonna happen, there is no demand for such product. rks1949, do you think the phone cable is too short? When I got my pro 2 1/2 years ago, I noticed the phone cord was too short immediately. Actually, it is not too short, it relaxes eventually, but stretching speeds up the process. So let's review some facts that are cast in granite:

1. The adapter works for adapting standard headphone jacks to the machine so you can use good phones, but since standard phone jacks are not IP rated, you cant go swimming with it.
2. Garrett does not make an extension cord, waterproof or otherwise, for any headphones, and probably never will, because that would be just silly.
3. Stretching the cord works very well and solves the problem of "too short of a cord".
4. The vast majority of atpros are used on land.
5. Nobody wants or needs a waterproof extension cord because they now have read fact #3.

Do you WORK for Garrett....Didn't think so...Thanks...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Potts, address the op, dont attack me. You seem to disagree with me, but just let it go, I addressed all of the op's concerns regarding the adapter, there is nothing left to discuss in this thread, and your comments are blushingly sophomoric. If you want to attack, try to say something intelligible......Golly Jeepers.....

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Potts, address the op, dont attack me. You seem to disagree with me, but just let it go, I addressed all of the op's concerns regarding the adapter, there is nothing left to discuss in this thread, and your comments are blushingly sophomoric. If you want to attack, try to say something intelligible......Golly Jeepers.....

I beg your pardon...I didn't try covering my postings like you did....move along before I report you for harrassment...

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1,I understand the function of the adapter. Does it not let you plug your jack into the rear section of the MD under the cuff,instead of pluging it into the control box,farther forward? To me that would give you a little more length,in your cord,maybe not?I understand that the cord will "over time" relax and have a longer length. I've had my ATP 1 month,and it has hunted in the rain at least 9 times in that period. I plan on hunting the local gravel pits (swimming holes) in a few weeks,and if I know me,I will either drop the ATP into the water,while recovering a target,or drop the ATP and have the head set pulled off my head (the stock one's),and we know where that is going to go. I think the ATP's see a lot more "wet" use than you think they do. That is one of their big selling features. Here in Illinois it has rained almost every other day,and I've watched my friends run to their trucks to get their detectors out of the rain,while I just keep going! Once I hit the swimming holes it's gonna see a lot of action under wet conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread