Why I enjoy my airport security job...takes all kinds

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I once read an article on where a guy was in an airport, not even yet going through security yet, and asked a security agent for directions. He was wearing sunglasses, and the agent said "Can you take your glasses off". He just about did it, when he stopped and said "WHY?". the reason being, what could taking glasses off have anything to do with security. Going through the metal detector, yeah... but just passing an agent on the public floor? He refused and the agent made a big deal about it.

I'm sure agents mean well, but I also think that they have very little training. Don't get me wrong, I'm o.k. with them taking aware my figernail clippers... and I'll always thank them for keeping our country safe, but wow. Perhaps she was looking for an eyeball bomb.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Why put up with that crap,just to fly, there are trains and autos and busses. All slower but more comfortable(maybe not busses) ,more things to seeand it is keeping money inside the USA. Bob

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Perhaps, the security officer did have proper training and he wanted to get a better look at the person to see if he is on a watch list. We need more scrutinizing in airports, not less. If a person doesnt agree, he can choose not to fly.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
That's a good point Wayne. We penalise Muslim women
and Cyclists with helmets for a very good reason, so take those
glasses off.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
vwayne1 said:
Perhaps, the security officer did have proper training and he wanted to get a better look at the person to see if he is on a watch list. We need more scrutinizing in airports, not less. If a person doesnt agree, he can choose not to fly.

Yep, good point. Never mind the guy was white full bread american, but perhaps the TSA has so much training, that they remembered everybody on the watch list and needed him to take off the glasses in case they she 'recognized' him.

TSA agent have less training than parking meter attendants.

Sorry, just had to make a point. Nothing negative meant.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
mikeofaustin said:
I once read an article on where a guy was in an airport, not even yet going through security yet, and asked a security agent for directions. He was wearing sunglasses, and the agent said "Can you take your glasses off". He just about did it, when he stopped and said "WHY?". the reason being, what could taking glasses off have anything to do with security. Going through the metal detector, yeah... but just passing an agent on the public floor? He refused and the agent made a big deal about it.

I'm sure agents mean well, but I also think that they have very little training. Don't get me wrong, I'm o.k. with them taking aware my figernail clippers... and I'll always thank them for keeping our country safe, but wow. Perhaps she was looking for an eyeball bomb.

The cameras are watching you too.
Newt

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
mikeofaustin said:
vwayne1 said:

Yep, good point. Never mind the guy was white full bread american, but perhaps the TSA has so much training, that they remembered everybody on the watch list and needed him to take off the glasses in case they she 'recognized' him.

TSA agent have less training than parking meter attendants.

Sorry, just had to make a point. Nothing negative meant.
Just to remind you Mike, the FBI's 10 most wanted are all white(Hispanics are classed as white) except bin Ladin.
I don't know if the USA is using the advanced British facial recognition
technology, but this explains the need for sun glasses off, as well
as female Muslim head gear.
As you say Mike, nothing negative meant by your statement, but it was
there anyway.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ha ! Ha !

'Crotch wrapped in the Jolly Roger' !

Ha ! Ha !

That IS a good rant by Rex Murphy !

... Ha! Ha! I'll bet you CAN buy skull and crossed bones undies, and SOME people actually buy them !
(Personally I just don't see the fixation with death and carnage...)

It IS time to enact profiling at mass transport centers, AND leave the little old ladies alone... to devote more suitable attention to those who really warrant it.

(I once took a desktop PC as carry-on luggage... and was demanded to show that it was indeed a working computer. What a mess ! I had it packed well in cardboard, and the power cord within another severly packed luggage case... ALL my stuff was open before I got the thing to power up. Ha! They stood there and watched me closely until a LED on the panel blinked, then exclaimed, "OK, it's fine, 'I saw a light come on!'" Ha! Ha! )

I would never do such a thing again, these days !

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions