Why I have 8 different metal detectors........

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been metal detecting since 1984. This great hobby has taken me to Hawaii, England, Ireland, and about a dozen other states all over the USA. What I've discovered is that certain metal detectors excel in certain areas. The place I choose to hunt will determine which detector I will bring on my hunt. The following is my general guide on what detector to use:

Beach Hunting: Teknetics T2, Prefer this machine because of its extreme depth, and its super light to use and very sensitive. Beach hunting requires you to dig everything, (or you will miss the gold) .

Ski Slopes, on top of the snow: Teknetics T2, for the same reason as beach hunting.

Old Parks, Demolition Sites: Fisher CZ6 and CZ5. The CZ's have been around awhile, and I still love this machine. great for getting deep silver in the parks. Have gotten silver dimes at the 8 to 9 inch range in depth in the San Francisco parks using the standard 8 inch coils. How would a 10" coil perform?

Wood chip/sand boxes in the elementary schools: Tesoro Conquistador, super light weight, don't need a meter with this type of hunting. Lots of gold jewelry in these areas.

Water Hunting in extreme mineralization, (Lake Tahoe), or salt water (Hawaii): Whites PI Surfmaster. Pulse Induction is a must in these areas. Have to dig all targets, no discrimination. Extreme depth will pay off with gold targets. High mineralization causes the other VLF machines to go nuts.

Fresh Water Hunting: Fisher CZ20, great depth, four tone ID will allow you to "cherry pick" the gold jewelry out of the water.

Competition Hunting: Tesoro Conquistador, Fisher 1265X. Both light weight, both have frequency controls to switch back and fourth when another machine gets to close and causes interference.

Back up Machine: Garrett GTA-1000. Good go anywhere machine when extreme depth is not needed. Works great in chip boxes and sandy beaches.

Having 8 different metal detectors is kind of like having a bag of golf clubs. You need a different club for different shots. -Mike

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought i had a problem choosing which coil to use, id never get out of the house and id need that golf bag to carry them all.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great idea but my BIRD would have my ASS :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having 8 different metal detectors is kind of like having a bag of golf clubs. You need a different club for different shots. -Mike

I have a lot more than eight detectors. One for every job. Now however I am slowing down and don't nugget hunt, relic, look for many caches, nor look for meteorites like I used too and just love to do the water and beaches. I used to have as many as 12 when I did this for a living.

Besides, this is where the babes are. ;D

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
I feel like a pauper...I have only 6!
I'm giving a talk at next month's club meeting, on whether one detector is enough. I have Minelabs, Garretts, and Whites - 2 of each. I agree, that each has its place. With experience, and knowing (or not knowing) the kind of site I'm heading out to, one detector always comes to mind first.
And then you have the variety of coils! So many choices, so little time... :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many be I should explain that I don't have a life and only detect. I am paid to detect by customers where I run a beach cleaning company now. Besides, I lost my wife many years ago so I don't have one of them spending my money for me and I spend it on what I want which is detecting and car collecting.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread