Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary in Pennsylvania said:
Ray S ECenFL said:
Very nice pics.

How do you manage to get hold of the old photos that you use? Are they family photos?

Ray S

I would suggest you try your trustt SMALL local library.
Like the one I have in Moscow, Pa.

You usually find a section there that has 'local history' and many books from local publishers that you CANNOT find on Amazon.com

Hit those libraries.....you might be amazed at the amount of detail is within about original settlers, businesses, homes, etc.

-

Exactly...these pics came from the Carnegie Library's online photo archive.
Check to see if your local library has an online archive of books and photos.

http://www.carnegielibrary.org/

Al

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
It is interesting to see the change that has occurred just locally here. I came across some aerial photos from 1949. Really good detail. The woods we see now were just fields. At a local park were there is just scrub trees there was a parking lot. I am hitting that as soon as it melts.

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place - Filmic!
Would love to hear what you find there :wink:
Best wishes,

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Those pictures are awesome dude! If I had to weaer that much clothing, I would hate it! :) Man I love history! ;D

Miss Liz

Greenie
Feb 14, 2009
West Coast of Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re Hunting in the middle of nowhere is easier for men than women

I don't have anyone to go metal detecting with so I go alone. I've had 3 incidents with wierdo men and it scared the daylights out of me. I don't dare tell my husband. He'd never let me go again so I make sure I go where there are people around and not some isolated place. It's the only thing I can do unless I find someone to detect with. Wish I could go to your Middle of Nowhere Place. That would be cool.

Miss Liz

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: The old Chisim Trail, Wagon train roads, homesteads and hundreds of other historic areas are now concrete, asphalt and Malls. I know several that were prime areas when I was younger and had an old Bounty Hunter. Think about the pioneer who faced the outlaws, Indians and weather as they fought for the right to live and raise a family. Today we drive our greased lightning fast cars right past the same spot someone on horseback once rode alone while watching for signs of movement that could indicate an ambush. No thoughts of those who died or made it through 100 or 200 years ago. Old pictures like these give faces and names to those who were here in those times when freedom was earned every day and the right to live was challenged every day. Those are some really nice reminders of those who have gone before. Our old homestead house dates back over 200 years. Even our yard has given up some interesting finds. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Markinnsprings

Greenie
Mar 14, 2009
Creeks and streams in the middle of no where always seem to have hidden surprises around them. They were popular pinic spots back in the day. Any type of water source attracts people to it. Makes for a relaxing time (pocket spills) wink wink. :wink:

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
White Feather said:
:icon_pirat: The old Chisim Trail, Wagon train roads, homesteads and hundreds of other historic areas are now concrete, asphalt and Malls. I know several that were prime areas when I was younger and had an old Bounty Hunter. Think about the pioneer who faced the outlaws, Indians and weather as they fought for the right to live and raise a family. Today we drive our greased lightning fast cars right past the same spot someone on horseback once rode alone while watching for signs of movement that could indicate an ambush. No thoughts of those who died or made it through 100 or 200 years ago. Old pictures like these give faces and names to those who were here in those times when freedom was earned every day and the right to live was challenged every day. Those are some really nice reminders of those who have gone before. Our old homestead house dates back over 200 years. Even our yard has given up some interesting finds. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Very well said, White Feather!
Good post!

-

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I can tell you this, the Chisolm trail through Kansas isn't covered over, it's farmground for the most part. you can still see where it was, by the depressions left by the herds of cattle. I've got permission to hunt on a couple of spots next to a big creek, you can still see the crossing
nice pics and history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread