Why I keep going back?

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the back field of our local elementary school. It's big and grassy and even when it's powder dry the field isn't TOO hard to cut through and search for treasure. I have to work around the administration... who while they enjoy having me detect are still a bit chary I think of having a fella with a shovel and a beeping machine wandering their back 40. I've done most of my detecting there after hours and tried to leave no uneven plugs. (although to be honest the drier it gets the harder it is to put the jigsaw puzzles back together)

The why do I keep going back... well apart from one loonie and a few scattered quarters it's all pennies and an ungodly amount of foil. (oh and one really pretty little necklace with a rainbow pendant on it) I don't really expect to strike it rich... the neighborhood is and has been blue collar and it's not that they don't have money... but if a ring drops off a finger you can be sure you've got mom, dad, uncle and a few other folks with the kid scouring the area cause money don't grow on trees and crap is expensive. I think one big thing is the folks around are really nice. I don't have guarded individuals walking up and viewing me like i'm some criminal... they're a bit bemused about why I'm digging in the back field and why my machine beeps and boops but they're never cruel or ignorant and that is a rarity sometimes in the world I live in. The kids are polite and curious and mostly never suggest I split the find with them. The dads/male guardian units are all interested and ask intelligent questions even if they're not always informed ones... they get that it's my hobby and they have hobbies as well and no one likes to have their thing sneered at... so polite is always the order of the day. Most moms and the like are a bit more interesting... they get the hobby thing although almost every lady I've met thinks it's only a man thing and are surprised when I tell them that many women do this for fun as well. (I'd love to point them in Digger Britt's direction but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't see the funny side of her tube channel) It's just a cool place to hang out and let my stress roll away. I only really worry about one thing... it's a decent sized field but it's not going to last forever. Where do I go for my outdoor mancave next when this one is all used up? A problem I'll face and ponder when it raises it's ugly head I guess.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have almost the same scenario here in my town too. Difference being that it was the elementary school I attended. Back in the mid-late 70’s we were issued lunch tokens so I’ve been hitting it hoping to find one. So far the token has managed to elude me but I’ve found lots of clad, a silver locket, a ring and a charm off a necklace. It’s a safe place and there’s plenty of shade. Sometimes it’s just not about what you find I guess.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I have almost the same scenario here in my town too. Difference being that it was the elementary school I attended. Back in the mid-late 70’s we were issued lunch tokens so I’ve been hitting it hoping to find one. So far the token has managed to elude me but I’ve found lots of clad, a silver locket, a ring and a charm off a necklace. It’s a safe place and there’s plenty of shade. Sometimes it’s just not about what you find I guess.
So, Billy--plastic school lunch & milk tokens were very popular in the 70s. Have you looked in any of the available references to prove you school used metal ones?
John in the Great 208

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Billy--plastic school lunch & milk tokens were very popular in the 70s. Have you looked in any of the available references to prove you school used metal ones?
John in the Great 208
Prove? Well I held them in my hand for 4yrs so I know they’re metal. Almost certain they were aluminum.

OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prove? Well I held them in my hand for 4yrs so I know they’re metal. Almost certain they were aluminum.

What do the tokens look like... is it sort of an "admit one" or does it have the name of the school? I've never seen anything like it but my kiddos school just has a mass melee when it comes to getting the warm lunch program... you show up and grab one and fight your way out through the rest of the hungry herd of wee beasties.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I think most schools are that way now. They weren’t specific to the school I attended, in fact I’m not certain they were specifically for a lunch either. My memory tells me they said maybe $1 in the middle with some simple scroll around the edges. They were natural finish and looked aluminum. I’m certain they were metal because I remember putting one in my dads vise and folding it in half

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I looked up Digger Britt and WOW. You could sit a pitcher of beer on those twins and never spill a drop.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha I think most schools are that way now. They weren’t specific to the school I attended, in fact I’m not certain they were specifically for a lunch either. My memory tells me they said maybe $1 in the middle with some simple scroll around the edges. They were natural finish and looked aluminum. I’m certain they were metal because I remember putting one in my dads vise and folding it in half
In 1970, ours were green plastic, 1” square, and read 10c. A carton of milk was 5c.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions