Why im not overly thrilled about OnStar

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Why i'm not overly thrilled about OnStar

This worries me. I knew OnStar was getting heavily connected to your vehicle, but I just realized the Feds will likely start finding it easier to use warrants to get GPS information from OnStar rather than bugging vehicles. It also will give them all the GPS history from when the car was sold not just after it was bugged.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/10/onstar-gps-carjacking.html

OnStar stops truck that was carjacked at gunpoint
October 19, 2009 | 5:45 pm

Dumb: Stealing a car equipped with OnStar.

Dumber: After OnStar halts the stolen vehicle, falling into a pool while running away from the police.

A man with a sawed-off shotgun carjacked a Chevrolet Tahoe from a parking lot in Visalia on Sunday, according to the Associated Press.

The owner of the vehicle, Jose Ruiz, 33, was reportedly sitting in his truck with a passenger when the gunman ordered them to get out and empty their pockets. The passenger initially refused, but Ruiz, knowing that the OnStar system would disable the vehicle, persuaded him to obey, and the thief drove off.

Police soon spotted the stolen truck. As they started to pursue it, though, it sped away.

But the Tahoe had General Motors' OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature, which enables OnStar operators to pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then remotely signal the vehicle to disable the gas pedal.

When the truck unexpectedly stopped, the driver bolted. Police told reporters that he fell into a swimming pool and was quickly caught.

This was the first time OnStar quelled a high-speed chase since the slowdown enhancement was introduced in the 2009 model year. OnStar, an option on all GM vehicles, is typically used for emergency services, vehicle diagnostics and directions.

OnStar president Walt Dorfstatter told reporters that the car was stopped 16 minutes after OnStar was notified.

"He wouldn't have pulled over if OnStar hadn't have shut the vehicle down," Visalia Police Sgt. Steve Phillips told reporters. "Generally pursuits end in a collision."

-- Melissa Rohlin

This is what OnStar says on their website:

OnStar does not continuously or routinely monitor or track the location or speed of your car.

OnStar only knows the location of your car or the approximate speed of your car, as calculated from GPS data, when:

* there is a request for service initiated from within the car (when you press an OnStar button to speak with an advisor);
* there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance or to locate a missing person;
* there is an Air Bag Deployment;
* there is an Automatic Crash Response;
* required by law;
* required to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others; or
* required by us to troubleshoot our services.

ONSTAR WILL NOT USE, SHARE, OR OTHERWISE DISCLOSE YOUR LOCATION OR SPEED INFORMATION EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT.

While most of us won't have any reason to worry about this I find it overly invasive.

S

Smee

Re: Why i'm not overly thrilled about OnStar

Speaking of bugged . . . it has a built in cellphone system which means it has a "microphone" which can be used to record conversations without the occupants knowing.

Isn't technology wonderful? They sure know how to sell the sizzle on that tainted steak.

We all know we can trust the government . . . they're only here to help us.

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Smee said:
Speaking of bugged . . . it has a built in cellphone system which means it has a "microphone" which can be used to record conversations without the occupants knowing.

Isn't technology wonderful? They sure know how to sell the sizzle on that tainted steak.

We all know we can trust the government . . . they're only here to help us.

In this case it's not the government I worry about, it's OnStar.

Citizens are not realizing the bad uses of the technology they let into their lives without having control over it, or control over turning it off. If I carry a cellphone I can always take the battery out until I want to make a call if I'm truly worried, kind of tough to disable OnStar.

S

Smee

Well . . . you can disable the "service" . . . but the tracking still works, the phone still works, but YOU can't make use of it. The same isn't true of those who would want to "snoop" on you.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029_3-5109435.html

Just the fact that they have to give a "Privacy Policy" is an admission that they can and will allow the use of the service in that manner.

According to the government, we are the cattle . . . to be watched and herded. We aren't intelligent enough to take care of ourselves, and therefore we must be protected from ourselves.

Then again, what can you expect to come to fruition and start to be used illegally during the administration of Slick (or "Sick") Willie Klinton. That is when the allegations of illegal use first came to light.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting..........guess who just took over 2 major car companies !

S

Smee

I was trying to be "nice" about that part. GM seems to be more hooked up with onstar. That's the one they wanted most . . . even put their own guy in there to run it (into the ground?).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions