Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why is it that atleast to me it seems that if you sell all or some of your finds you are kinda looked down on ,I meen in today's economy its kinda hard to have coins or jewelry sitting around that you have found with a detector an not selling it if it comes between having a few bucks to spend on things you need or being broke ,I meen I sell all the gold jewelry I find , well unless the Red Head snags it once I bring it home , I have no problems with it , it pays my bills or puts food on my table , nobody else is going to do it but me , not that I want anyone else to .

sorry this has been so long winded just curious what others think on this subject .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I find no reason to keep a marketable piece of metal hanging around the house when it can be replaced with a can of beans to feed my family .

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a problem with selling some of my finds. As a matter of fact I sold some rings early this year and bought me a boat. Thought I could get out on the lakes and do some detecting that way. But the motor went bad about 2 months after I bought it. So now I have to find more rings to sell so I can get the motor fix. If anyone is close to the MI, IN and OH lines and know how to work on boat motor and would help me out PM me and let me know....Thanks Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you are trying to feed your family then you should maybe consider taking on some more Real work, instead of all that time spent detecting. The way I figure it, unless you have a time machine and are going back to 1960 to do your digging, or the silver is jumping out of the ground at you with no work or research on your part, then the hobby just isn't that profitable for the amount of time involved. Because the folks on here that find the Good Stuff, they spend a lot of time at it!

I think you're trying to tie your ethics about selling to the economy, and I don't think that's a valid reason. If you sell, you sell. Do you need a reason why? Folks that are needing to "put a can of beans on the table" for their family have no business spending all day out with a $1,000 detector in the park to dig up $5 in clad coins. They also have no business paying for internet service at $40/month to post here, or taking the time away from picking up an extra, part-time job in order to waste hours and hours posting here. So basically, you sell. Big deal. You don't have to blame it on the economy, or create a sob story about a starving family. You like to occasionally see an immediate monetary profit from the hobby, and that's ok.

Only on VERY rare occasions do I ever sell a find. Folks sell, and they can do what they like...but I don't hunt with folks that sell most of what they find. (We're not talking about a piece here or there, or a really valuable find or two...we're talking about what they find immediately gets sold, if it has any value at all--even if it's only worth a few dollars. The reason I don't hunt with them is simple: it's because I know they wouldn't give a second thought about trampling me to death to get at anything of value. They are also the types that are jealous when I dig something valuable, and they are the types that are more prone to hunt a site of mine before I can hunt it myself or with them.

That's my experience with folks that sell sell sell. So forgive me if I come across hard-nosed. I've been burned in the past by such folks. It also gives me an added reason to keep finds--so that I don't turn into one of them! I can only dig an item once, and only sell once. And the near future is uncertain--but the far flung future is even more uncertain.

So I don't understand why a person would sell if they can possibly save. :icon_scratch: Values go up over time for just about anything except a GW inaugural button. :wink:

-Buck

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off let me say thanks for everyones comments .

second off let me say I have been outa work "per doctors orders " an not released to go back to work yet since I was involved in a wreck that did alot of damage to me ,I cant go get a job or would have one , an I have a $225 detector not a $1000 model .

three I understand everyone has their own thoughts an feeling on things an people an are intitled to their own feelings . :icon_thumright:

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
BuckleBoy said:
Well, if you are trying to feed your family then you should maybe consider taking on some more Real work, instead of all that time spent detecting. The way I figure it, unless you have a time machine and are going back to 1960 to do your digging, or the silver is jumping out of the ground at you with no work or research on your part, then the hobby just isn't that profitable for the amount of time involved. Because the folks on here that find the Good Stuff, they spend a lot of time at it!

I think you're trying to tie your ethics about selling to the economy, and I don't think that's a valid reason. If you sell, you sell. Do you need a reason why? Folks that are needing to "put a can of beans on the table" for their family have no business spending all day out with a $1,000 detector in the park to dig up $5 in clad coins. They also have no business paying for internet service at $40/month to post here, or taking the time away from picking up an extra, part-time job in order to waste hours and hours posting here. So basically, you sell. Big deal. You don't have to blame it on the economy, or create a sob story about a starving family. You like to occasionally see an immediate monetary profit from the hobby, and that's ok.

Only on VERY rare occasions do I ever sell a find. Folks sell, and they can do what they like...but I don't hunt with folks that sell most of what they find. (We're not talking about a piece here or there, or a really valuable find or two...we're talking about what they find immediately gets sold, if it has any value at all--even if it's only worth a few dollars. The reason I don't hunt with them is simple: it's because I know they wouldn't give a second thought about trampling me to death to get at anything of value. They are also the types that are jealous when I dig something valuable, and they are the types that are more prone to hunt a site of mine before I can hunt it myself or with them.

That's my experience with folks that sell sell sell. So forgive me if I come across hard-nosed. I've been burned in the past by such folks. It also gives me an added reason to keep finds--so that I don't turn into one of them! I can only dig an item once, and only sell once. And the near future is uncertain--but the far flung future is even more uncertain.

So I don't understand why a person would sell if they can possibly save. :icon_scratch: Values go up over time for just about anything except a GW inaugural button. :wink:

-Buck
Buckle way out of line on that post. Need too wait for more info be for ya rant.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Like Tank , I'm on a fixed income due to health issues beyond my control and have a 'tector that might bring me a hundred bucks on Ebay .
The 'can of beans' was a metafor for what is important to the individual . The handful of clad my grandson and I find in a day might pay for a couple of hotdogs for us at the local 'mom and pop' or a
new fishing lure for him .
Bigger things provide rifles and ammo for us to use .
You go ahead and hoard all you wish ...... Me and him are gonna enjoy what little life I got left .
I don't think we would care to hunt with you either , but that's what makes horseraces : the difference of opinion ;D

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I dont think there is anything wrong with selling your finds, an old class ring and a jar full of clad paid
for my new Garrett Pro-Pointer this spring. If I found something worth big bucks you can be sure it
would go towards a new E Trac!

Joe

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michaelangelo said:
Wow Buckles-pretty harsh.
Tank-admire your restraint!!!
My sentiments exactly! I have no problem selling my gold and silver finds or spending the clad I dig up, whether it's for a can of beans or a new fishing reel, that's my right. If Buckleboy chooses not to sell any of his that's his right. On the other hand, I think he could have used a little of that restraint that Tank so wisely demonstrated.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
why is it that atleast to me it seems that if you sell all or some of your finds you are kinda looked down on
I had not noticed that before and then I saw BB's post. There is nothing wrong with selling something you own for whatever reason you choose. How you choose to provide for your family is up to you as long as you do it.

Now I'm a little confused. Is it wrong for me to look down on those that look down on others?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
auferret said:
Tank69 said:
why is it that atleast to me it seems that if you sell all or some of your finds you are kinda looked down on
I had not noticed that before and then I saw BB's post. There is nothing wrong with selling something you own for whatever reason you choose. How you choose to provide for your family is up to you as long as you do it.

Now I'm a little confused. Is it wrong for me to look down on those that look down on others?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. What is wrong with a post like this is using the starving family as an excuse to detect. It also doesn't strike me as right to use the economy as a reason either. If you sell, you sell. Big deal. It's because you want to. And I couldn't care less.

What I did do was share my past experiences of hunting with folks who sell every little flat button they dig, every silver coin, and every good relic. And there is nothing wrong with my life experiences in close to two decades of digging either. They've been tough lessons to learn, and cost me lots time and research. And although I don't see any problem with selling, it's my experience that people who have to try and scramble to turn everything they can into cash have been snakes in the grass.

Metal detecting is no way to provide for anyone. If someone told me that they were going to open a lemonade stand at 50 cents a cup on the street corner in order to provide for their family, I would say the same thing to them--that they should pick up a Real part-time job instead! While detecting is a great hobby, there is no way that one could make a living at it. They might stumble across one or two great finds over the years, but it will not pay the bills in the long run.

It is the fault of the advertisers that so many people think they will get rich quick doing this hobby, and it just isn't true. Just ask the dozens of folks who have posted on this forum alone in the past few years about how disillusioned they felt since they didn't make a banner find their first few months out.

Regards,

Buckles

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Once again, the world is not black and white despite how many times people try to make it so.

Tank69 did not say that he was metal detecting for a living. He likely has things that he has found over the years and has no problem selling them off in times of need. Makes sense to me. And BB is right that if someone IS trying to make a living metal detecting that they had better think twice about it. That doesn't mean that it can't be done. People are doing it. But people are also playing major league baseball for a living. Yet I would tell anyone who would listen that the odds are against them when it comes to making the major leagues.

I think it depends on many factors:

1) Your age. At some point you realize that hoarding metal junk just creates problems for others once you pass away. You can choose to sell it off and do them a favor or just hand it down if you are so inclined.

2) The value of the item. Finding an old bottle that will fetch a pretty penny on eBay is different than finding clad or even some old relic with mostly sentimental value. The more you can get from an item the more likely you are to cash in early. Also, if the value of the item is highly speculative you may choose to wait or sell early to maximize your profits.

3) Why you are in this hobby. Some people are in it for the history, others are in it for the chance to find a real treasure (and others are in it for both reasons). I don't think that anyone should look down upon another detectorist for having different views about what is important to them and why they spend time detecting.

I really don't care if you sell your finds. If you are anything like me, you don't find much of value anyway so no one is going to want my stuff when I'm dead and gone. Some day I'll sell off what I've found and buy my wife something nice for putting up with me all of these years! :wink:

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is wrong with a post like this is using the starving family as an excuse to detect. It also doesn't strike me as right to use the economy as a reason either.

you know this post has really gotten outta hand , I posted this to see if others noticed that some feel or act kinda off to those that sell their finds instead of displaying them or giving them to a museum or such , this thread has become a bash on me an turned completely around , I did not use my family or the economy as an excuse to detect , news flash I luv to detect I like the thrill of not knowing what you'll find , you know what else I have allot of my finds still here at home an that's where their going to stay .I dont know what country you live in but in the US where I'm at there is a Bad economy look around .An no where did I say I race to sell everything I can get my hands on or find .

thanks for everyone who replied to this but I refuse to post anymore on this subject if its just going to be a bash session on me an that wasnt what this post was` intended for .

thanks for everyones input an replies Happy Hunting :icon_thumleft:

Likely Guy

I read through this post and I think that it was a complete misunderstanding, from the beginning.

This is what makes every internet forum kinda dangerous.

A few days ago I made the comment that someone (not a member of this forum, but someone who did a member wrong) needed an 'arse licken'. Someone complained and my comment was deleted.

I was confused at first :icon_scratch: until I realized that my comment had a different conotation. :-[

Around here, an 'arse licken' is a 'beating' or a 'thumping'.

Oh well, misunderstandings happen. All the best to Tank and Buckleboy. :thumbsup:

P.S.: Everything I find goes to the local museum. (We're paid to dig!)

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hmm the show an tell is a thing of fun, and ego boost for most.

I believe the post stirred a few folks.
Mostly this which was not talked about
"it seems that if you sell all or some of your finds you are kinda looked down on"

The biggest problem is the way this was posted, and if read while saying it, the tone of the post would have came of a bit condescending. I doubt the post was made that way, yet it is the way it was taken.

Such is one of the problems of a board. Written words do not normally have a tone, yet when spoke may have a total different tone that was desired when wrote.

As for selling finds, that is an individual choice. If obtained legally such is not a problem, and is a right of the owner.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
why is it that atleast to me it seems that if you sell all or some of your finds you are kinda looked down on ,I meen it today's economy its kinda hard to have coins or jewelry sitting around that you have found with a detector an not selling it if it comes between having a few bucks to spend on things you need or being broke ,I meen I sell all the gold jewelry I find , well unless the Red Head snags it once I bring it home , I have no problems with it , it pays my bills or puts food on my table , nobody else is going to do it but me , not that I want anyone else to .

sorry this has been so long winded just curious what others think on this subject .

Tank, one man's treasure, is another man's source of income. I don't look down on anyone who sells items they find. They may sell something I would never sale, but it wasn't mine to sell it was theirs so it doesn't matter.

I know a gentleman who finds hundreds of indian artifacts weekly, and sells a large majority of them, it is his "job". He sales items I would never sale, but he also gets hundreds of dollars for some of them, and is making a very good living at it. He answers to no one but himself, he leases the land, all are found legally, and he is one of the best dealers in the country. He is the source for some of my better pieces........

The last offer I turned done on the water bottle in my collection was $2500, a lot of money, and that was 10 years ago, but I was not in the position where I needed the money so I had no desire to sell it. If I wanted to sell it today, I know I could get close to twice that, but it isn't for sale..............................

Tank I plan on retiring to AZ in a few years, God willing and the creek don't rise. You and I may be able to hunt one day.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
They are your finds. Sell em if you want. :icon_pirat:

You do not need to justify your actions. Just go for it. :icon_sunny:

Your finds are yours to do what you want with, in MHO. :o

Happy Hunting. :headbang:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I haven't sold any of my MDing finds, but if I go to the beach or the park and hunt for rings and gold, that would be the only purpose. I would not see any need to hoard junk gold unless I was planning to use it for a retirement fund. If I was digging clad, it would be for the fun of it, not the value, and it will get spent eventually. If I dig historical relics and coins, I keep them and display them. One day they will probably be worth more than they are now, and if need be, they can be sold. Right now, I'd rather have them than the money they are worth, because I found them. I wouldn't pay what they are worth to buy them, but it's the fact that I personally dug them up that make them special to me. I would sell them in a heartbeat if my options for cashflow narrowed far enough. The economy is a perfect excuse for a lot of folks to sell their finds. What do you think is happening across the entire country? Boats for sale all over the place, motorcycles, and lots of things that people once held on to because money was fine. Now belts are tightening and pawn shops are busy and things that were once luxury items are now looked at more like assets with the potential to be liquidated. Thank God we aren't hurting that bad yet (assuming we aren't, since we all still have internet access).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread