Why Metal detecting is banned in WI DNR Land (NOthing to do with Lake Delton!)

wisconsinwalter

Feb 11, 2009
Just so you guys and gals in WI know why this happened, it was not because of Lake Delton. The state does not own any impoundment. It is because the state feels it is loosing cultural items to detectorists and want it to stop.

It is not a law but an admin DNR rule.

We have lost the rights because the DNR ARch has bowed to the State Arch. The DNR arch was the MN State Arch until he left his position under fire and came to WI. This is all public! Google Mark Dudzik.

John Broihahn is a preservationist and has tried to get detecting banned on DNR lands for years. The DNR would not allow the ban until Dudzik snuck it in. How do I know? The three major clubs in the state have paid for a lobbyist. This info was gained by an open record request we requested. Now when the old DNR arch left it opened the door for the preservationist Broihahn to get the equally liberal Dudzik to agree. They believe that all materials belong to the state and the state is a repository of items for them and them only. They went as far as to say in the meeting that they would prefer the stuff to rot in the ground or be lost to urbanization forever if they can't get it.

In some previous posts about the subject, some have expressed outrage about it. I feel outrage that the few are paying for the many in that we are paying the bill to get your rights backs. Please consider buying raffle tickets from the FMDAC or Gene Scullion at Badger detectors or Teri Otto at Outdoor Outfitters. We are close to being out of money after $4000 invested. The lobbyist has drawn a plan and is trying to implement it, but we need more help to be able to pay.

So please consider helping instead of complaining

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Walter;

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I would consider a donation (if I had two nickels to rub together). I'm sure others would as well. It might help if you provided the following:

1) a link to make a donation with (PayPal, or whatever)

2) either some info on the plan the lobbyist has hatched or a number that interested persons could call to get that info if you don't want plans made public on this forum..................

Diggem'

OP
OP
wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter

Feb 11, 2009
Well, I am unprepared to give the lobbyists info as it is at work. I can give you a few phone numbers.

I can be a point of contact since I started the effort.
Gene Scullion- [email protected]
Capitol Strategies is the lobby firm
Outdoor Outfitters- 1800-558-2020

Just so everyone is clear, there will be no more detecting on state land that has has not been surveyed, only land that has been deemed to be of non arch value, beaches, play areas and the like.

Be prepared to pay a license fee, it sucks, but legetimizes detecting.
Water up to 6 ft in nonreparian situations.
We are hoping to change the age limit from 50 to 125 years

The days of finding copper and fur trade are over unless on private land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions