why no old coins?

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i spent all day yesterday and today checking out a couple of sites.i first hit in the center of town the old town center/the old school grounds that got torn down last year. the town i live in is very small and pretty old so i figured id hit something . i got some Lincolns and a bunch of trash but not even a wheatie or mercury dime.most of it is still frozen so i am not completely shut down. i then researched like crazy last night and figured i hit the town next door. i read a in depth town history and a report on original town dwelling and Indian settlements. there was even a battle site . i hit one spot that has a historical marker . i recognized a old cart road across the street so i figured we would start there.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Philip's_Hill. as i started down the roadwith family in tow a blue truck drove slowly by and then turned around and stopped by my car and starred at us. my wife is not having fun now so we bail.the site looks great. it was across the road from the historical marker so i figured i wouldn't disturb a sensitive site.ohh well. so i head back home and hit a old cellar hole on a map i have of my town from the 1800s. my son and i hike in and detect for 2 hours.we find the old well and despite it being well overgrown we get some good high rings and high vdi numbers.almost every time i dig i get rusty old iron. i dig 5 in minimum depth and still get crap.i figured i would have hit at least one coin by now.any advice would be great . you guys have been great so far tell me what i am doing wrong.i am running the mxt in relic mode with the gain at +1 with the threshold at a slight hum. i go with trigger forward to hear the iron grunt.i will say this garret propointer was worth every penny.

Attachments

• DSC00877.JPG
    DSC00877.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC00878.JPG
    DSC00878.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
One more thing to add, I think it is human nature to seek out of the way stuff to assure it hasn't been hunted. That is the funny part, we all think that way. Where did I find the best bottle dumps in New England? Right behind or under barns where permission was needed, behind strip malls in the center of town. one in the median of a major highway. Try the yard down the street from the school,park, etc., the one with no sidewalk where the kids had to get into the grass to advoid cars,etc.. Wooded brushy areas of parks where swinging a coil is difficult, etc.. Easement strips between sidewalks and curbs, in front of unassuming,non historical houses ( not in front of the 1790's tavern or skating rink). Learn in these spots and then go look for the tough stuff. Good luck and don't get discouraged, if it were easy it would get make the good finds, average!

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
After reading everything above and thinking Why the heck do we go out in the cold ,wet , snowey and heat, being crazy must help. Bob detecting since 1960, in those days most of us built a machine from a diagram in Popular Elctronics. I still have the old beat freak machine that found me a jar of silver. Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread