Why Own So Many Machines

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having recently bought my 2nd detector in 25 yrs I can't help but be puzzled by all the people who own numerous machines. I used my old 1265X for so long Iknew what every sound it made meant. I now have new F70 and after 2 months I am amazed by what it can do but I haven't even begun to fully comprehend its possibilities. I hope to use this detector for decades and I can't wait to master it. How can anyone who owns multiple new machines even hope to learn what their detector can do? The learning curve is so steep on the new machines that by switching back and forth between your detectors aren't you at a disadvantage? My goal is to cover ground once and not leave anything good behind. Sure thats not 100% possible but when someone knows his machine inside and out he can come darn close. It seems to me that the more machines a person has the more money he spends and the less he finds on any given site because he misses some of the "tough" signals that experience tells you to dig. To illustrate my argument I just met a fellow who has 3 newer machines. 2 Minelabs and a bounty hunter. Thats some serious cash he's thrown at the hobby and his argument was that he needed the BH for those quick hunts that are just for fun. One Minelab was his go to machine and the other one for his "serious" hunts. My argument is he should master one machine and he will do better all the time.

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I have two. I keep the Minelab as a loaner and as a spare in case the Fisher goes down. Each has it's good points. I can see where a gold prospector machine, a beach machine, relic machine and a coin shooter would each have special enough niches to be filled with purpose designed and built detectors.

I think some folks enjoy the shopping and buying as much as the detecting and the romance wears off fast. I've seen the same with some folks regarding cameras, firearms, automobiles and spouses.

And then thare's the advertising that convinces us last month's machine is outdated and has decrepit technology.
Charlie you hit the nail on the head with you i agree................

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
After 11 years of MDing I'm going to get a second machine. I know my GTAx1000 inside out and time to move on to a serious MDer.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......WELL CARL-NC......beat me to the punch......a select few of us are also Vintage Detector Collectors...and we tend to have a lot more detectors than the average detectorist!!......I have over 25 detectors and although that sounds like a lot......I actually use to own closer to 50 at one time!!.......My newest detector is probably the Soverign Elite....most of my prized detectors and which I still use are from the Golden Age of detectors......the VLF/TR era.......Some are just collected because of their sentimental value and missing the old days of a lot less complications.......less knobs less problems......

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I have so many machine is when I go out I always have a backup incase something goes wrong. If someone comes over and they would like to tag along when I go out I have a machine for them to use. So if you would like to tag along and try out our great hobbie come on down....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions