Why so little erosion at Treasure coast (My theory)

cache sniper 1715

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne Beach
Well so far I have only seen one report of Florida wreck coins found during this wind event. Now I know that more postings would be here if things were being found out there so it got me thinking more...

I was able to devote a good amount of time to observe the latest coastal wind event and from my observations, a cursory examination of webcams, and reports to my weather office it looks like we escaped this episode relatively unscathed from an erosion standpoint. Conventional wisdom using past events with a long duration of strong onshore component flow and large waves would argue that we should have had more erosion than what actually occurred; however, there were some subtle observed differences that may have kept the erosion minimized. The first thing that was different about this episode seems to have been the angle of incidence of wind and fetch generation area. Instead of a traditional "Nor'easter" which has winds on the order of 030-050 azimuth the winds in this case were mainly from 050-060 during the event. This small azimuthal difference lessened the effects of Eckman turning of the swell component resulting in more onshore directing of wave energy (almost perpendicular to the coast.) With coastal orientation from about 340-160 azimuth and this direct onshore focusing of wave energy I did not observe any significant waveform appearing "cuts" on the beach which one more commonly sees in the more traditional nor'easter events as wave energy focused downstream in the surf zone produces a wave like appearance to the beach. What dune erosion I did see was minor undercutting of the dune base in areas of narrower beachfronts. More disturbing than the erosion was the significant number of turtle nests that became exposed. As the turtles in most cases lay their eggs just below the base of the dune.

These are my opinions only
Comments, observations welcome

Best wishes John

Upvote 0

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
John: with the kind of depth you are getting with your detector, you are going to need a shovel or post hole diggers instead of that little scoop you have in the picture.

I remember when those Mac 1's came out-I almost bought one. The other hot machine at the time was the Barracuda, a pi unit built by some guy from Louisiana I think.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trez,

further up theres a pic of myself with my MD an my tiny little scoop that digs big holes.(i do have several shovels for the deeper stuff)i have several coils for mine.1 feather light 10" coil that i use for the beach and very shallow water(it floats an doesnt wear your arm and shoulder out)1 very heavy 10" coil for land an underwater an a heavy 8" coil for land or underwater.

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
FISHEYE said:
Trez,

Im not kidding,its for real.we did a test with my MD and a aqua pulse.we buried a 8 reale 5 feet down in the sand on the beach.the aqua pulse picked it up.my md didnt.so we moved the 8 reale up a half a foot.my MD picked it up.we even tried the reale on edge an mine and the aqua pulse picked it up.mine at 4 1/2 foot,the aqua pulse at 5 feet.my MD is a florida american electronics MAC 1 plus turbo.no longer made.if you can find one.buy it at any price you can.its well worth whatever you pay for it.i paid $600 for mine.the day after i bought it i found a zircon diamond ring.i cant remember the caret size but it was 3/8" in diameter.the ring was 24k gold.it was so big i could put it on my big toe an spin it around.a jeweler gave me $2500 for it.this was after i hit many pawn shops an other jewelry shops to get it tested.no one ever saw a zircon diamond that big.this was 8 yrs ago.i found the ring underwater 2 feet down in the sand at a well known natural spring in the swimming area.now they can make diamonds at any size.theres a factory near me that even makes the pink diamonds.not make,i guess they grow them.my dad knows the owner of the company,hes going to get me in for a tour of the factory to see how they do it.i wont ever lend out the MD.did that with the one i had before this one an never got it back.

Anybody know if Steve Noga is still around and making the modified Nautilus. machines. I think they were everybit as good or better than the Macs. That has been a controvery and I'm sure others will disagree.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Guess you beach hunters have never prospected for gold. ::) Maybe you are just getting lazy. The weather is cooling down, take a shovel at low tide and dig a trench, 2 to 3 feet deep and 2 feet wide and work your way north or south. Take your detector and scan the tailings you dug and inside your hole. Dig another 3 feet and push the sand you scanned back into the hole behind you. Seems like a lot of work but finding a nice 8 Reale or Gold Escudo will make it all worthwhile. :o Always dig in the low tide area so when the tide runs in the hole is filled by the next low tide. When you get tired of digging junk, ya'll will try this method. ;D
I heard from others who do this usually have good results from time to time.

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Trez said:
fisheye,
can you send me a photo of the machine? housing etc.

thanks,

Trez

Here's a pic of a Mac 1. Actually forgot that I had it. I wonder if the coil or box or both are bad.

mac.jpg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flauthor,

I dont think your idea will work.unless you have a back hoe and you dig 10-15 feet down into the sand till you get past the beach fill.digging wet sand with a shovel is more like work then fun.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dunno..makes sense to me. The gold is so heavy it is unlikely to move up the beach, but I can see it in the really high energy surf zone. My experience is..this area is often pretty coarse material, that is churned by the waves. The "fines" have been carried away. It is tough to dig submerged sand, but on a really low tide, with no water in the hole...........where's my shovel??

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm with Fisheye. If it ain't fun, why do it? I mean, nobody really gets into treasure hunting for financial gain do they? ;D ;D

My time is too valuable and my back is too messed up to spend time digging trenches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread