Why?

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me a good sized drill base today. But I am intrigued as to why the hand hold part is sharpened so well? Were drills of this design used as multi tools? I just don’t understand why all the edges would need to be so deadly sharp. Also would the size of this piece signify use on much larger jobs or tasks? Thanks. IMG_9074.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t see any signs of hafting. Plus this piece was in the same vicinity as the pic in question. Note the similarities. IMG_9073.JPG IMG_9072.JPG

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, I c u said “were” hafted....note this pic from the internet. All very similar and I doubt we’re hafted. IMG_9077.JPG

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are some things where it seems formed, it’s better to look good than work perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Got me a good sized drill base today. But I am intrigued as to why the hand hold part is sharpened so well? Were drills of this design used as multi tools? I just don’t understand why all the edges would need to be so deadly sharp. Also would the size of this piece signify use on much larger jobs or tasks? Thanks. View attachment 1600321

Given the size compared to the quarter, the drill bit would have been really long. Maybe just resharpened knife?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking along the same lines as Josh. A cross-sectional view of the break might help.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking a broke point that was repurposed into a hafted scraper.

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additional pics from different angles. IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0304.JPG

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Ah, I c u said “were” hafted....note this pic from the internet. All very similar and I doubt we’re hafted. View attachment 1600341

The majority of drills began life as a hafted something else i.e., a knife, a projectile. This is somewhat obvious in the examples that you’ve posted.

As others are saying, your piece in question is most likely something other than a drill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread