Wich PI for relics and coins in non-trashy and mineralized areas?

Peter1

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
(First, excuse my langage, it is'nt my mother tongue!)

I use to detect in France with a XP Deus, but although it has a special mode (i.e goldfield), it is less powerful than the GPX, ATX and the TDI in the mineralized and non-trashy soils.

I know that ATX and GPX are made especially for the gold prospecting, but we can use them for other goals.
Then I would like to know more about the gain in depht in the granitic, mineralized and non-ferrous soils, for relics and coins. (Iron objects vanish easily in these acid and granitic soils).

I wonder if it is worth to buy the GPX, or if the price is too high (because I prospect only coins and relics); and if the ATX or even the TDI can do this job for less expensive.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the ATX and the TDI will work for you. I use a beach machine in Farm fields with great success (Tesoro Sand Shark PI).

OP
OP
P

Peter1

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response,
The difference of depth between the GPX and the ATX is important on the coins and other bigger relics?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no deeper machine than the GPX 5000 for coins and relics. The ATX is is plenty deep, just not as powerful as the GPX machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford it, the GPX5000 is the best of the deep seeking PI machines. It has multiple PI vs. single PI and many more features than the other two. It also has a display and depth reading. The advantage of the ATX is that it's waterproof to 10'. The GPX is not waterproof, and in fact, the stock coil isn't even waterproof. The TDI is much lighter than the other two but comes up short on performance in comparison.

OP
OP
P

Peter1

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Thank for your help!

Cudamark, you said that "the GPX5000 is the best of the deep seeking PI machines"; is the difference of depth between the GPX and the ATX (upon coins for exemple, like silver half dollar, silver quarter, bronze cent etc.) so important?
(In any case, the difference of price is important!)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's only important if you have deep targets. Usually when you're prospecting, you want to find those deep nuggets that nobody else can find. In most coin areas, depth like that isn't necessary.

OP
OP
P

Peter1

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mineralized coin areas where I use to detect, VLF are very bad. The coins that are found are located near to the surface!

The GPX 5000 is more expensive that the ATX.
But as the price of the GPX 4500 has fallen, I wonder if it is sufficient (or even if the ATX is sufficient) for my type of research (relics and coin in mineralized soils only !).

Of course, for trashy and non-mineralized soils, I have the Deus.:icon_thumleft:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mineralized coin areas where I use to detect, VLF are very bad. The coins that are found are located near to the surface! The GPX 5000 is more expensive that the ATX. But as the price of the GPX 4500 has fallen, I wonder if it is sufficient (or even if the ATX is sufficient) for my type of research (relics and coin in mineralized soils only !). Of course, for trashy and non-mineralized soils, I have the Deus.:icon_thumleft:
There was a promotion on the GPX 4800 for $3995 (MAP) in March this year. I have a feeling this promotion will run again in the near future, probably right before the SDC 2300 is released.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peter1

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a promotion on the GPX 4800 for $3995 (MAP) in March this year. I have a feeling this promotion will run again in the near future, probably right before the SDC 2300 is released.

Yes, I think that the price of the GPX 4500 will fall too. (Depending of my search, it's not necessary to have the last model, the GPX 5000, for my type of detection.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread