Widmanstätten pattern

Chuthulu

Jun 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, nice to meet you. :icon_thumleft:
My question for you is this: Is this a Widmanstätten pattern and if so, is there anything else other then meteors that this phenomenon occurs in? If it isnt a Widmanstätten pattern, could you please educate me on the difference? Window made with grinder and sanded roughly with very low grit (I know, im sorry) I'll start brewing a pot of coffee now.:coffee2: 20190613_222722.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, I don't think it is. If you look at photos of iron/nickel meteorites, you will see NONE of them have bubble pockets, or cavities such as your example. The iron nickel meteorites are the former cores of celestial objects, where the material was compressed under enormous pressures where bubbles don't exist. These planets were destroyed, shattered, flinging this dense material into space.

OP
OP
C

Chuthulu

Jun 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "flakes" appear and disappear in regards to the rocks orientation to the available light, just quite strange to me and my amateur knowledge as all my research points to the Widmanstätten pattern/thomaon structures that are found in meteors. It truly has me stumped :(

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Widmanstätten patterns, more correctly known as Thomson structures, are figures of long nickel-iron crystals, found in the octahedrite iron meteorites and some pallasites. My watch face is a slice of the Muonionalusta meteorite.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 49

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher Goldbug, Whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it magnetic? I am new at this also. I have learned that not all Iron meteorites have Widmanstatten pattern. There are the Hexahedrites and the Ataxites that do not have the widmanstatten pattern. The Octahedrite Iron Meteorite has the Widmanstatten pattern. Could very well be one of those.

OP
OP
C

Chuthulu

Jun 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys got some more info. Did a gravity test (density) multiple times, each time arrived at 2.21. Streak is black. Mettalic luster. Opaque. Fracture is imbalanced/random. Knife wont scratch it, non magnetic. I've cross referenced the gravity to everything between 2.1-2.3 and can safely say it is not even close to those. What have I found lmao.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread