Wife scores a big one

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have always wanted my son to catch the fever, he didn't but the wife did. She asked I take her prospecting last weekend so I took her to a small ravine below a lode claim I like to dig around on. She likes to dig cracks so I pointed out a crack I hadn't seen before and asked that she dig and classify it so I could take it home to pan, there is no water there except right after a storm. She was classifying the materials, scraping the dirt off the rock with the screen when she hands me what looks like a dirt clod and asks if this is gold. I knew by the weight immediately that it was. She had scraped enough dirt to reveal just a little gold. We washed it off with drinking water and we both began to laugh. I hope that I would have spotted it in the classifier but I can't say I wouldn't have tossed the materials, lesson learned, I will pile all my classified material and scan it before I leave. Besides this we found a picker and some color. Obviously the wife wants to go back.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    931.5 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YO Don't break that apart Its worth far more than gold as a specimen. What a rare and valuable find I would say 3K to 4K on this gem

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YO Don't break that apart Its worth far more than gold as a specimen. What a rare and valuable find I would say 3K to 4K on this gem

not quite that much

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's a keeper! The wife, I mean :evil6:
Great find! I wouldn't sell it but if you decide to, a specific gravity test should yield good results on your nugget because there doesn't look like there's anything else mixed in other than gold and quartz mostly. It will be worth testing even if just for fun :) Don't let anyone tell you that it's worth less then half of its weight because of all of the quartz, knowing the gold weight is a plus and you could have some fun here by letting everyone guess the actual gold weight.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! It looks like a banner nugget to me! Better than any other banner nuggets that I've seen here!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
BOOOOOOM.

Husband and Wife Team finds a nice heavy speci.

Got my banner vote

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful specimen - congrats!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, great team, and a keeper of a specimen, great team keep it up, your son will soon to get the fever as well now!
Banner vote for me too.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, a real beauty....Banner

OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone, both are definitely keepers. Not only does she like to go prospecting, "I was on the gold" is a completely legitimate reason for being late. Reed, I like your idea, I will find out what the gold content of the specimen is and play the game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread