Wilhelm II Deutscher Kaiser Medal?

chbingle

Greenie
Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently purchased a bundle of German medals online. I am familiar with all but this one which is titled, "Wilhelm II Deutscher Kaiser" on its front side. I know that similar coins or marks exist that share the same imagine of the Kaiser on the front side, however this item has a loophole as if its a medal, and its back is a complete mystery to me. The backside depicts a picture of a festival or "festhalle" as labeled under the picture. Surrounding the picture is the phrase, "einigkeit ein festes band hält zusammen leut und land". I am completely baffled by this object as I do not even know if its a coin, medal, or perhaps just a trinket from a festival in Germany during the time. Can anyone shed some light into what this object might be? Thanks!

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The phrase “einigkeit ein festes band hält zusammen leut und land” is an old German proverb of uncertain origin that translates as “unity is a strong bond that holds people and country together”. I don’t think it has any specific significance for this medal beyond a bit of patriotism.

The building depicted is, as it says below, a ‘festhalle’, which is a festival hall or civic centre, usually with seating for an audience to watch performances or events of some kind. It appears to be quite a large building (some have a capacity in the thousands) and might be the one in Dresden, although there will be others with potentially similar architecture. They’re the kind of places that would host music/singing festivals and other spectator events.

This one from Dresden is dated and says it’s for a ‘turnfest’ (gymnastics festival) held between 18-22 July 1885, but I think a piece of memorabilia rather than a prize awarded to a participant.

Festhalle.jpg

I would think it’s of a similar nature from some unspecified festival event and produced as a souvenir rather than an award.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread