Will a doubled strike on a fork increase its value? plus some gold

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a set of 14 all 925 sterling for 30 bucks and the oldest had a double stamped date of 1908.
I know with coins it increases the value. But since this is a fork I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask
I paid $30 bucks for this set and its almost like new.
I also found a creek where every pan produces a bit of gold.
DSCN1956.JPG
DSCN1922.JPG
DSCN1938.JPG
DSCN1940.JPG

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
A stamp error on silverware usually does not affect the value for the good or bad.
The amount of gold you have in that pan is worth probably a penny. Almost nothing. It's a nice flake. I'd suggest you go out there and find more.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out again. I tried half a mile up the stream only to find nothing. But half a mile downstream I find it in every pan. I tried walking in between the half mile the stream is so deep with 12 walls from erossion and trees and brush blocking the path. Need a machete.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
There is a place like that near where I live. I was able to track down the source.
It turns out the fine gold was coming out of a section of granite that was being slowly eroded away by the river.
So if you were downriver from that point, you would find a decent amount of fine gold. Upriver from that point, practically nothing.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about selling this fork set. I found out theres $425 in 925.
The set could pass off as new and most of them are from year 1917.
Should I sell it as scrap or for its historic value?
I have been offered $295 for its scrap value.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about selling this fork set. I found out theres $425 in 925.
The set could pass off as new and most of them are from year 1917.
Should I sell it as scrap or for its historic value?
I have been offered $295 for its scrap value.

You wrote:
I'm thinking about selling this fork set. I found out theres $425 in 925. " How did you find that out?
Doubt that anyone is so interested in old forks that you'd get better than scrap value.

My wife was a silversmith for years. So I would recycle her scrap sterling for cash regularly. It's been a while but I know how to do it. Weigh your forks. However many ounces they come up to, look up the spot price for silver, multiply it by .925 then multiply that by .85 because the places you send it will give you 85% of spot (as of today). Wrap it in a box, use paper gummed tape, take it to a post office and send it registered mail. (figure that cost as well when you run the numbers.)

If your math comes out better than $295, send it in.

$30? Dang. Whatever you do, you're making good money!!! HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread