will dealers buy clad ikes?

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all, great day today, I went to my supply bank to pick up some boxes of pennies but as usual I always ask if they have any large dollars, today they did, im pretty sure the teller is a silverbug and I think they were already cherry picked, I got 50 ikes ( she had 100 but I only had 50) and 1 silver! my first silver find crh, im taking it to the coin shop tomorrow but my question is will a dealer buy the clad ikes above face? I read somewhere that a dealer will pay around 1.10 for them

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will, most wont- just gotta go and ask

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Typically not, if you find a dealer even, you really need to have alot if they do buy. I mean, if you are only getting .05-.10 cents an ike, If you have $100 in ikes you are only going to get $5-10. How much is an hour of time worth to you? I typically value my time at $50 an hour for just going out and doing something for fun. Plus gasoline, I don't know about you but the nearest "local coin shop" is 30 miles away, and thats $5 in gasoline alone.

Hour to get there and back, 5 minutes to negociate a price with the dealer/wait in line, plus gasoline = Typically not worth it unless you have $1000 + in ikes and typically if the coin dealer knows you are into coins, he will assume you picked out all the good ones and won't want to pay money for worthless clad he occasionally sells to young coin collectors. To summarize, not worth it in your case, $50 ikes = 2.50 lol.

OP
OP
kaiser613

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I just called them, my coin shop is less than a mile away btw, and they are only buying the silver, that's fine nothing lost on the clad and about 7 dollars for the 1 silver

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking, Uncirculated Ike's are sale able, especially full rolls. circulated Ike's....check ebay for ideas

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what area you are in, but I've been able to sell circulated clad Ikes on Craigslist fairly easily. $60 for 50 Ikes is not out of the question at all. When it comes to selling Ikes, I require that the buyer come to me, so I avoid a lot of travel and hassle for the small dollars involved.

Was the silver you found an Ike? If so, your teller isn't cherrypicking, is he/she?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what area you are in, but I've been able to sell circulated clad Ikes on Craigslist fairly easily. $60 for 50 Ikes is not out of the question at all. When it comes to selling Ikes, I require that the buyer come to me, so I avoid a lot of travel and hassle for the small dollars involved.

Was the silver you found an Ike? If so, your teller isn't cherrypicking, is he/she?
Craigslist = Even more time, effort and risk in addition to what I stated above.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly my thoughts

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold 31 for $39.95 on ebay in about 2 minutes flat.

Unfortunately, after fees and shipping, I netted about $29.50 on the deal.

Not my finest moment.

I'll still pick 'em up if a bank has them, but in the future I'm just dumping the clad ones at the bank rather than stockpiling them.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend them!!! Have fun with them, spend with Girl/Boy Scouts, waiters at restaurants (mexican and asian restaurants get the best reactions), Old people love them also =)

Maybe able to sell some around Chinese New Years, i have heard they want them to hand out to kids, something about good luck for the year or superstition.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I sold 500 of them to my LCS for exactly $500. I was happy with the deal, didn't have to dump them.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Ike? Details? What year is it?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to very carefully look at them because there are a lot of big dollar Ike varieties and errors still left to be found, I myself have found some very cool and interesting errors just from local banks and shops.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any coin dealer who buys your ikes aint nothing but a clad lova

I-dare-you.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread