Will it happen?

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Just a little rant of mine. Please bear with me.

The past 10 days have been sorta hard on me, and I suspect for a lot of other Northwestern detectorists.

I mean, the snow came last Wednesday and didn't stop for long at any given time. Left nearly 18" of white stuff dumped out on our little town. What made it worse was the fact that my Jeep 4x4 had to go into the shop for repairs, and won't be ready till next week (the part has to come from Chicago, of course!). And our little Toyota Yaris, though it has front wheel drive, could not make it out the driveway on account of the deep snow and lack of chains. And naturally, there were no chains in our area to be had. They all got bought up right off the bat. So the wife and I have been pretty much snowbound in the house all this time, excepting the two occasional walks in 24 degree weather (which ain't so bad, really) to the local store about a mile away.

I've often heard about that nasty disease called "Cabin Fever," but was always fortunate enough to avoid getting hit by it...until now.

It wasn't until today the snow actually melted enough so that I could dig out the Yaris and actually get it out the driveway and onto the main road, the latter of which is totally clear of snow. Of course, that was AFTER digging it out twice on our little gravel roadway that leads to the main road. But I made it! Doggone it, I made it! I was DETERMINED to make it. Said a little prayer to the Lord first, and then got to work with the shovel. Amazing what a man can accomplish with a little bit of prayer and hard work. :-)

I was so elated that I actually drove to Chehalis...twice! LOL Coming back home our gravel road had melted even more, which enabled me to make the two trips without having to dig out the car again. Boy, was that a relief. And as I speak, rain is softly falling from the heavens to further eliminate the remainder of pesky snow on the gravel road that leads to our house, and the above 40 degree temps are helping it along.

But the question remains...will the snow melt enough to permit me to get in one last hunt for 2008 to add to my silver coin collection? Or will I be forced to wait until the new year starts?

I have a great place in mind to go...got permission for it...dates back to the late 1800s with lots of activity...is only a half mile from my house...oh the agony of waiting!!!

Ray

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its all gone here Ray. Hope your area does the same. Detectingfreak and I are headed out in the mornin to give it a shot before the new year. Hope all is going well for ya. Luck in the hunt.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Hi Juju,

Well, it looks like I might actually have a window of opportunity tomorrow, if'n it doesn't rain the whole day. I went by my prospective hunting place today and the ground is beginning to appear through patches of snow!! Yippee!

I probably won't have much area to detect, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'd like at least one more silver coin or IH in my pouch before 2008 ends.

By the way, how's the finger doing?

Ray

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Got two feet plus here by the Capital Forest and still a foot to melt. Turned on the Golf channel just to see some sun. Good hunting.. Rustyfind

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Wow, rustyfind, you got 6 inches more than we did. Where are you located?

Fortunately the snow has melted here for the most part, and gave me a short window to get an hour in at the spot I wanted to detect.

Here are my finds: one 1917S wheatie and an iron disc with a hole at top. Looks almost like a square nail was punched through it. Gonna have to soak this for a while to see if I can identify what it is. It was found near an old jail, so it may have had to do with a key ring or something.

Also found an old mule shoe, but I forgot to take it when I left! Will have to go back and get it.

Ray

Attachments

• 1917.jpg
    1917.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 407
  • irondisc.jpg
    irondisc.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 405

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray in WA said:
Hi Juju,

Well, it looks like I might actually have a window of opportunity tomorrow, if'n it doesn't rain the whole day. I went by my prospective hunting place today and the ground is beginning to appear through patches of snow!! Yippee!

I probably won't have much area to detect, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'd like at least one more silver coin or IH in my pouch before 2008 ends.

By the way, how's the finger doing?

Ray
Hey Ray,
Fingers doin better. I pulled out my stitches this mornin. Looks like ya had a good hunt.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Hey Ray still got about 6'' and hoping the rain gets rid of it. I live close to Black Lake in Olympia right close to the Capital Forest. Lots more wind and snow every time it happens. I have been researching the black hills and will see what I come up with in the spring for a group hunt. Rustyfind

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
hi rustyfind,

You're not really that far from where I live, maybe an hour or so. A group hunt up in that area sounds good! Keep us informed.

Juju, glad to hear the finger is healing and that it won't damper your detecting!

Ray

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Wish all you west-siders lived over on the other side of the mountains so you can actually experience cabin fever. Arrived back from Arizona on Monday to a car covered in three feet of snow. After digging out a foot and half I was told a plow would come through and get the rest, lucky I had a room for the night. Woke up to more snow but a not so cleared car. With help from hotel workers, dug out and started journey home. Once home, found more snow to dig out of driveway. Sun came out to only melt some snow off roof and sidewalk but more snow. On top of the snow issue, wife caught a flu bug from granddaughter who decided to share it with me. Now we are both sick and stuck in the house.
One good thing, we have a close bond with each other and don't get on each others nerves after living in an RV for two years. I can only say one thing, come hell or high water I will not be spending another winter here in WA. I might have lost money in the stock market, but I will save enough to make it back down to AZ for the winter.
So the next time you think you have it bad think of me over here with snow up to my cheeks....LOL

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 393
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 379

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
well 49er, you pretty much covered what I was going to say. even if the snow did melt right now, it will be march until the ground thaws out enough to stick a digger in. It's starting to remind me of those Michigan winters that I DON"T miss. I use a 4 wheeler with a blade to push snow around at work, and as much fun as that sounds like, it got old quite a while ago.......MAKE IT STOP SNOWING!!!!

I think you west siders should invite us over for a winter hunt!

Paul

DanBrunner

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Well just when I thought it was over, the snow came back here in Sammamish, WA. We just got a couple of new inches of snow tonight. I'm so happy I got out to Liberty yesterday. I refilled 2 buckets of bedrock dirt so at least I have something to go through. I already made it through one bucket with no color, but at least I'm still getting dirty. My whites GMT is due on friday. I hope there is enough thawed ground to get out to start figuring this thing out soon.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Feel lucky you have a silver coin collection at all.

I'm almost certain i'm going to give up the hobby in the near future for multiple reasons.

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Hey 49er. Just talked to my sis in Coulee City and she confirms your cabin fever. I get over ther a lot in the summer so we will have to do some detecting.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I just finished clearing my garage roof with a snow blower, which makes me think the snow will be with us for a little longer.

Paul in wenatchee

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a good site! I bet you'll find a lot more when the weather clears.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Guess I have to eat those words. The night I used the snow blower on the roof, a freak storm came in & melter everything in one night. The next morning I could have played golf in my yard.

Paul

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I'm hitting the road this weekend and I will be out almost every week till it snows again. Are you with me. I'm highgrading every spot that I find. I am no arm chair treasure hunter or prospector. Lead, follow or get out of my way. I'm on the fast track to treasure and gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread