Will it work? A Sod Plug "Gun"

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Will it work? A Sod Plug "Gun"

I had this thought last night (maybe after seeing a commercial for the Salad Shooter :D), so I hacked-up a cheap ($2) caulking gun, and welded a piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe (because of it's thin wall) to it. I welded a larger washer onto the "cup" so it would be sure to push the plug out (and not go through it) as the handle was squeezed. I shortened the gun body so the cup would go clear down to the end of the tube, to push all the sod out. I also added a foot rest to help put alittle added weight on it.

Granted, this wouldn't work in hard soil conditions, and won't set any land speed records, but not everyone hunts that way. Also, it might be handy on a manicured lawn, pull-out (up to) a 5" long plug, break it up as you squeeze it out, if you recover the find 1/2 way through, place the loose dirt back into the hole, plug the gun back into the hole.....squirt-out the remainder of the plug (sod still atached), remove the gun & step on the plug to set it back into the ground.

It could even have a long handle added to it & wouldn't require stooping-over to recover coins, as long as you were an accurate pinpointer.

It's too nasty outside to try it out.......will it work??
Smitty

Pluggun1.jpg

Pluggun2.jpg

Pluggunf.jpg

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Will it work? A Sod Plug "Gun"

I wonder, did you try? Looks like it would work. Let us know.
Burdie

echostar61

Jul 22, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter,Prizim II

Where do all these cool ideas come from ? Your tool belt is getting heavier eveyday,lol. To keep hunting with you Im gonna have to use my Airedale as a pack mule :D. Looks like another Great Idea smitty.
Terri

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007

Genius ! I'm sure that would be a killer down here in the packed sand. A great idea.

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

We're melting-off 5" of last weeks snow, plus rain everyday since, and more everyday in the forecast. I'll definately try it out if it dries-up alittle....and take a couple pics of the process.

Thanks
Smitty

PS- Terri, didn't I explain to you I are a genius?

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

File some teeth into it or weld up a hole saw (same size)to the end so you can "twist" into the ground to cut in. :)
ohh,,you would have to cut the back wall of the saw .

Attachments

• hole saw.gif
    hole saw.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 854

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

It probably will work but like all pluggers, it is going to leave a brown spot on the lawn.

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007

Looks good!.I would sharpen the cutting edge.Or maybe even cut it on an angle then sharpen it. My prediction..it will work great on socker fields ect especially after a shower.Downfall will be its made of mild steel instead of hardened steel.Dry dirt will be tough on it.Great job.Why not perfect your design then start selling them?

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

I did grind an edge on it before I welded it together. I used exhaust piping becaise of it's thin wall thickness so it'll pierce the ground as easily as possible. Not much of a place to "twist" from, that's why I added a place to lean on it with a boot. Once a couple inches in the ground, you probably couldn't twist it anyway.

It cost me $5 for parts, so if I have to make a new one every 5 years, I can't complain ;D I'm anxious to try it, I may talk Echostar61 into a hunt soon, I'll try it then.

Thanks
Smitty

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Farmercal said:
It probably will work but like all pluggers, it is going to leave a brown spot on the lawn.

The pluggers used by the greens keepers at golf courses do not leave brown spots.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i think that model gun is too light duty they make a bigger one that will do a 4 to 5 inch hole
and much heavier steal that wont bend like that one will.
my oppinion
i had a simalar ideah with a shrimp gun
good ideah man

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

imafishingnutt said:
i think that model gun is too light duty they make a bigger one that will do a 4 to 5 inch hole
my oppinion
good ideah man

lol, it was a $2 caulking gun brand-new, I won't be expecting too much from it ;D I don't think I'd have the need for one to make a 4-5" hole, and it would make it harder to sink it into the ground. The 2.5" pipe fits the shell of the gun just about perfect. Like I'd said, only $5 in material, it isn't something I'd use all the time, just somewhere I was being exceptionally careful with the sod, so I could see it lasting a few seasons as is.

I may make another one, whuch will have a different foot-pad set-up, which would brace the gun to the pipe, and stiffen the whole thing (not that it's bad the way it is). Already made a "stand-up" model, looks like a pogo stick, doesn't use the gun on the end though. I'll post pics later.

lol, thompy.....I hope that IS gum, and not the remains of Poochie I stepped-in :o

Smitty

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

Same principal as the "gun", but this one could be used to retrieve a coin or ring without stooping, if you're an accurate pinpointer ;) The plunger rod is 5/16" solid rod, the shadow on the wall makes it appear larger.

Smitty
tallPC.jpg

The sod plug is pushed-out by depressing the plunger against the ground (by inverting it) or a nearby stationary object (tree, rock, etc). You con slice the plug with a digging tool, "reload" the sod & dirt back into the cup (in the sod in first so it comes-out last) & pop it back into the hole.
tallPC-top.jpg

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IndianaSmith said:
imafishingnutt said:
my oppinion
good ideah man

lol, it was a $2 caulking gun brand-new, I won't be expecting too much from it ;D I don't think I'd have the need for one to make a 4-5" hole, and it would make it harder to sink it into the ground. The 2.5" pipe fits the shell of the gun just about perfect. Like I'd said, only $5 in material, it isn't something I'd use all the time, just somewhere I was being exceptionally careful with the sod, so I could see it lasting a few seasons as is.

I may make another one, whuch will have a different foot-pad set-up, which would brace the gun to the pipe, and stiffen the whole thing (not that it's bad the way it is). Already made a "stand-up" model, looks like a pogo stick, doesn't use the gun on the end though. I'll post pics later.

lol, thompy.....I hope that IS gum, and not the remains of Poochie I stepped-in :o

Smitty
looks like its working go file a pattent quick, this could be a hot item.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shrimp gun great for sand hunting
in wet sand sinks down over a foot in seconds.
the smaller tube has a cap on the inside end with a nut and bolt holding a small rubber ball that is used to creat suction
works like a charm.
first you suck the sand up in the tube the shoot it onto a wire basket and the it falls through leaving your target
heres a pic of one.
mine has a T handle on it and a side handle

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 494
OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

If someone wants to apply for it, they can have it......just send me 5% commission ;)

That shrimp gun's pretty neat. Never seen one before, we don't have many shrimp-shooters here in Indiana ;D So it's all hand-powered ? Pulling a handle creates the suction? Do you prefer that over the sand scoop? I don't have any beaches nearby, just curious.

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread