WILL MY BANK EXCEPT ,BADLY CORRODED ZINC CENTS?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I have heard that banks will except paper money as long as the serial #s are still readable . I know coin machines will not take them & just to be clear i'm talking about cents that are at least still 95% round ( maybe a small piece of the rim has corroded away) & the Face & Reverse are still legible but are very corroded. Will any banks except these as legal tender ? one can look and see that it is a cent , just a very ruff one. IMO the mint should count these type cents as legal tender and reimburse the bank for the credit they give me for the worn cents ,then remelt them and make new ones . It's not our fault the Gov, makes such CHEAP Coins ,but I do know why they do it. (cost). I'm just wondering if anyone's bank has rejected this type of cents in this condition . THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION, IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL. Davers :thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not. Most will tell you that you have to send them to the treasury yourself.

skip_a_loo

Apr 11, 2013
Newton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Up Graded to...GTP at Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you've been told incorrectly. If "lawful US money" can actually be determined to be "lawful US money" - that is, there's enough of it there to recognize what it started out as - then the banks accept it and it gets turned into the mint, where it is destroyed.

"They won't accept corroded pennies" is like saying, "They won't accept torn in two/taped back together dollar bills". They accept them. But instead of sending them back out into circulation, they are traded in to the mint, for new money, and they are destroyed. No one loses anything, and the bad money goes away.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you've been told incorrectly. If "lawful US money" can actually be determined to be "lawful US money" - that is, there's enough of it there to recognize what it started out as - then the banks accept it and it gets turned into the mint, where it is destroyed.

I encourage you to take a handful of corroded zinc cents into your local bank and demand they replace them with new ones for you. See how far that gets you.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean the dirt off my bad zincs with a bath of vinegar and salt, then when they are at least clean of dirt I put them in rolls and deposit them in my savings account along with usually a couple hundred dollars of clads and nickles from several hunts. If I deposit them and don't ask for replacement coins the tellers never open any of the rolls.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you need to take them to a Federal reserve bank...

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a bunch of clad to my bank and they immediately told me "I don't think so... we have to be able to give the change back to other customers" So I took my change to the coinstar at the grocery store... jammed up the machine and pissed the manager off lol. I got my money though.

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Best advice I can give is get a rock tumbler. Use a little dish soap and some aquarium gravel for all your junk change. This will save 95% of it and make it work in a coinstar. The zinc pennies that have cancer can just be thrown away. Or you can start filling an ammo can full of them like I have been doing for years just for fun.

Attabus

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to laugh because my wife and i just started this summer when i decided to quit smoking she didn't believe they were penny pennies so i quit smoking now i just chew zincs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread