will someone explain hafting to me. thank you very much,,,,,

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
basically it's the process of attaching a projectile point or stone tool onto a bone handle, arrow shaft, or spear. Usually attached with a sticky gluey pitch like asphaltum, or animal sinew, often both.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thirty7,
On that same subject, have you ever heard of the hafting of celts? I understood that they were typically placed in wood or horn sockets and used as chisels. However, I recently saw a special suggesting that they were also hafted and used as weapons as well as tools. I've attached a photo of one I found last fall just west of town.
JunkYark, typically the artifact will be grooved bilaterally to accommodate a shaft or stick. Then, of course, it would be tied down with sinew, rope, etc.
docmann

Attachments

• DSC07055(1).JPG
    DSC07055(1).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC07056(1)A.JPG
    DSC07056(1)A.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 250

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Interesting info there doc, I was aware that celts were sometimes hafted. I've seen a couple examples with odd patina changes and was told the darker half of the celt was wedged into a club like piece of wood. I was not aware that they were also used as weapons, but I can definitively see where they could be, it would be a heck of a last ditch, close quarters thumping club. Both of the examples were western, from NM I think. That's a great little hematite celt doc. (assuming that is indeed hematite) a nice example.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thirty,
It appears that you know your celts. Indeed, it is hematite. Found this one and one about 2 cm shorter within 50 yards of each other. This was a Wichita People campsite dated around AD 1250 to 1400. The site was formally excavated in 1994 by OU Archeological Survey, but still a lot of material found as, I understand, only about 5% of site was actually excavated.
Appreciate your comments,
doc

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
That appears incredibly smooth. It's amazing how they were able to use the abrasives they had at the time to prodeuce such a finish. Nice piece, thanks
doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread