Will You Survive?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I will survive as you'll see in my companion thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,137407.new.html
I started preparing about four years ago. The stuff in this companion thread is just the surface things I've done to prepare. I have another much more secure parcel of land some forty acres, in a very well suited locale which will be the last to run short of water and wild game. We've also taken the precaution of planting wild edible plants there in abundance so no care is needed and they won't be too apparent to any marauders.

P.S. There's lotsa room for personal gardening, no one needs acres of land to provide food for themselves.
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off there is no oil Shortage.
I don't believe there ever will be.

Prices have nothing to do with Shortages.
oil prices are the fault of the stock Market, & politics.

and gas prices are 2 fault also. the result of the Fuel companies
trying to make every cent they can While trying to
get US oil areas opened to Exploration.

& you can add the tree huggers into it all

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Thanks for the new opportunity, MB!
I'm hoping we can convince you to allow us an allotment of time, that you could limit yourself to,
and you could still move on with those other matters that most likely DO have an immediate priority.

Let's see who I can cross rapiers with over here! ;D

I would say TT is incorrect, insofar as there IS sufficient arable land to support all the mouths upon the planet, and then some. It must be used efficiently. THAT, is the key.
I grew up in a small town, surrounded by farms that had the best topsoil of anywhere around.
Over the years, development and urban sprawl made farming less profitable and almost all that excellent soil was built over. It shall come around to bite us!
...And, you are NEVER to old or infirm to possess the will or wherewithal to survive.

And I'll also be foolish enough to poke a stick at the tiger...
Even though there may be a LOT of oil remaining in place, the question is, what shall be the cost to recover it? We are talking economics, here...
The Bakken, Green River, and boys from Brasil have found quite a bit.
But our lives will be quite different if go-juice at the pump runs very much higher.
Only the select few will be able to travel... and eat well!

The one fellow among us who has apparently subscribed to these theories for quite some time, has been industrious, prosperous, and apparently successful, from what I've read of his tales.
In my experience there's always a curve ball in there you never expect. A fly in the ointment.
The more you have, there seem to be more scurrilous dogs coming out of the woodwork to take it.

The only viable solution is one which shall benefit all mankind.

Otherwise, we remain in the nip & tuck battle of the have's vs the have not's.

Best,
rmptr

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Whether or not the worst case scenario takes place, why not try getting more self sufficient anyway?
I started years ago. although I am not there yet, I have made several improvements to save money.
It may get worse over time, so starting now will make you more prepared when the time comes when you have to rely on you own survival skills. If these improvements you put in place pay for themselves, then why wouldn't you do them. Solar, wind, hydroelectric, and even making your own fuel, are all wortwhile projects that will not only pay for themselves, but also save you money in the long run. More important than energy concerns are food and water. As farmland dries up and disaapears to developers for housing, less will become available for food production. In the US alone, we have lost over one fouth of our farmland. During the last depression there were many farms to grow food. Most people didn't have money, but they didn't go hungry. If that were to happen now millions would starve for lack of food. You can raise considerable amount of vegetables in small spaces, even on windowsills of apartments in cities.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
TreasureTales said:
MD Dog said:
The field guide to wild edibles is a definite must for everyone to have.
And how long will wild edible plants last when millions of people are digging them up for food? That's just not practical for longterm use.

Wild edibles will out last people. But you'd know that if you knew anything about wild edibles. Things like Dandelions, Lambs Ear, Cat tail, Plantains. Will fill the void quite readily without ever running out.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
those do tend to be pretty prolific (sp?) I will have to admit that! :wink: The more I see this stuff the more I am thankful for the way I was raised and the fact I got to go on survival trips growing up. ;D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Truly an interesting topic and some really great responses.

As some stated.....I do Gardening by the Square and it's enough to keep my family feed on FRESH FRUITS and VEGIES. Infact, we usually have more than we can eat before spoilage....we give to our neighbors and my mother in law. I am conteplating building a greenhouse, either in the backyard or in my garage...can't decide :icon_scratch:

There is nothing wrong with learning to live WITHOUT....I listen to the kids at work...there day would be lost without their IPOD's, their CELLPHONES, their MP3 Players...my gosh....I survived on a transitor radio and using a pay phone!!!! Computers and Game Stations were probably being thought of...but not in the homes as they are today. We survived by playing RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT, jumping rope, playing board games, jacks, bicycle riding, roller skating (with the key on a string around my neck!).....

I too, would be lost without my computer, more so for the communication part, not being able to communicate with my family and friends, but that would pass, I still remember how to write letters (handwritten) and still have the knowledge of using a rotarty dial phone!

I have many books that sit on my shelves that I have not started reading or have not finished reading...but we encourage reading in our home...my boys LOVE to read!!! (esp Science books, just like their Dad!)

MD has a good point about edible plants....we should ALL learn to know which are good to eat and which not too! We have in our yard POLK SALAD. I had no idea what it was, never had it....but my mother in law came over one day and told me about it. It grows real tall and the leaves are pretty big. Here's a pic of when the boys were picking it a few years back.

But I thought I heard something on the news that other day...there was a group saying that eating plants (i.e., Lettuce, Spinach, etc)....we are killing living things. I can't seem to find anything about it I heard on the news....UGH!!! For Heaven's Sake...were do all these ANAL people come from???????

Attachments

• Img_0030.jpg
    Img_0030.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Img_0035.jpg
    Img_0035.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 317

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd say learn new skills. Get to know your backyard. By that I mean within an area that you can travel either on foot, bicycle, or horse within a day. Have backups handy. If natural gas was disrupted, what would you cook on? Propane, Coleman stove? And if fuel wasn't available for those or you're storage space limited refill supplies? Something that burns wood could help if you need to boil water to make it potable. There are people in the U.S. today that wouldn't know what to do with a lightbulb if they owned one. Flashlights? Extra batteries have a finite shelf life, but are handy. Oil lamps? Candles? Again, a supply of oil and candles in a cool, safe place. Something to light them with--Bic lighters, matches (not the paper ones), etc. A good supply in a waterproof box such as an ammo box can make the difference.

Not a fanatic--just some thought provoking ideas as those are some of the 1st things to disappear off the store shelves when you need them. Our grandparents, great grandparents, and previous generations were able to live abeit not as comfortable as we have become used to, but they learned how to make do with what was available for them.

K

Kentucky Kache

Ron and Ann said:
Truly an interesting topic and some really great responses.

As some stated.....I do Gardening by the Square and it's enough to keep my family feed on FRESH FRUITS and VEGIES. Infact, we usually have more than we can eat before spoilage....we give to our neighbors and my mother in law. I am conteplating building a greenhouse, either in the backyard or in my garage...can't decide :icon_scratch:

There is nothing wrong with learning to live WITHOUT....I listen to the kids at work...there day would be lost without their IPOD's, their CELLPHONES, their MP3 Players...my gosh....I survived on a transitor radio and using a pay phone!!!! Computers and Game Stations were probably being thought of...but not in the homes as they are today. We survived by playing RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT, jumping rope, playing board games, jacks, bicycle riding, roller skating (with the key on a string around my neck!).....

I too, would be lost without my computer, more so for the communication part, not being able to communicate with my family and friends, but that would pass, I still remember how to write letters (handwritten) and still have the knowledge of using a rotarty dial phone!

I have many books that sit on my shelves that I have not started reading or have not finished reading...but we encourage reading in our home...my boys LOVE to read!!! (esp Science books, just like their Dad!)

MD has a good point about edible plants....we should ALL learn to know which are good to eat and which not too! We have in our yard POLK SALAD. I had no idea what it was, never had it....but my mother in law came over one day and told me about it. It grows real tall and the leaves are pretty big. Here's a pic of when the boys were picking it a few years back.

But I thought I heard something on the news that other day...there was a group saying that eating plants (i.e., Lettuce, Spinach, etc)....we are killing living things. I can't seem to find anything about it I heard on the news....UGH!!! For Heaven's Sake...were do all these ANAL people come from???????

You can also fry the stalks. Get the young tender ones.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
In response to Michigan Badger's primary question, Will I survive?, answer is most likely I shall waste away, become significantly unhealthy, and then die for lack of medical attention.

I recall various conspiracy theories of days gone past which spurred survivalist movements.
It never quite hit the fan, and many were left with mud on their face looking foolish before an ever more dis-believing general populous they had enthusiastically tried to convince of their wisdom.

Yet, for this go-around things have changed.
The most obvious factor is there are now many more inhabitants of the planet.

If significant crop failures occur, or distribution fails, impact of shortages will be felt much quicker by the burgeoning population who are more than ever, centered in cities, as opposed to agrarian settings.

Potable water is critical. Lack of water, coupled with inavailability of staples could send large masses of marauders outward from the teeming metropolitan areas. There would be no reasonable possibility of any lasting defense against such large numbers of desperate individuals.

Here's a small article I recently found, which many of you may be quite familiar with. It's an indicator.

US Water Pipelines Are Breaking, Colleen Long, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Two hours north of New York City, a mile-long stream and a marsh the size of a football field have mysteriously formed along a country road. They are such a marvel that people come from miles around to drink the crystal-clear water, believing it is bubbling up from a hidden natural spring.

The truth is far less romantic: The water is coming from a cracked 70-year-old tunnel hundreds of feet below ground, scientists say.

The tunnel is leaking up to 36 million gallons a day as it carries drinking water from a reservoir to the big city. It is a powerful warning sign of a larger problem around the country: The infrastructure that delivers water to the nation's cities is badly aging and in need of repairs.
(8 April 2008)

<eof>

Elsewhere around our country, any number of large cities are presently having difficulty servicing their municipal bond debt. A number of cities have filed for bankruptcy protection.
Local and state property taxes MUST escalate!
Just one more factor that did not exist on such a scale for the last go-round.

There are many others, compounding the present situation which did not exist in the past.

I am forced to be confident people shall rise to the occasion and meet challenges as they arise just as they have done throughout history when confronted with the face of adversity.

Will a general collapse occur? I feel the possibility exists, more now than in the past.
Is it probable? I can't say, for lack of commonly available information beyond reproach.
What am I doing about it? Very little. I am not affluent, retired and getting income from a sound pension fund, do not own a plot of land capable of a self - sustaining lifestyle. It's gonna hurt if all this comes about.

To date, I have seen no one but arrogant chest-beaters say it can not happen and NONE of them is able to offer coherent facts supporting their position that all is coming up roses.

I have no doubt fellows such as Ted Turner will be just fine, ensconced upon their ranches.
I don't feel that is the point of the matter, even though they might disagree! :wink:

Best,
rmptr

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
rmptr, just knowing the basics of survival would help you to continue while others fade. Knowing just three simple plants and the way to prepare them as well as how I identify them and where you can best secure them will hold you over until times improve most likely through attrition. Crop failure isn't just a possibility it is imminent. Already food riots have broken out in many locations. Prices have risen in response to numerous natural disasters as well as the conversion of corn to a fuel substitute.

There will be restbits, times when our national economy will take a breather and look to turn things around. But none of these thing can or will last, mainly because they are changing far faster than our system can adapt.
I don't mean to sound unAmerican Here, but our great experiment wasn't just about democracy but it was also about capitalism. And just as Communism couldn't bear the economic burden of its' ideology, neither can free trade bear the burden of a totally free society. Greed was the factor that had to come into play and could never be prepared for nor thought out ahead of time.

No matter what happens in the future, anyone and everyone would be wise to gain information as fast as possible. As many suspect that marauding gangs might be able to take all that you have but they can't take the info that you have hidden inside your mind. Besides that they have little reason to mess with someone who for all intense purposes has nothing of value to take.

Many don't forsee our world crashing down around our ears, while others see Armageddon right around the corner. I don't care either way I'm preparing for the worst and praying for the best.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
All it would really take is one catastrophe such as a killer tornado or sunspots to disrupt the power grid system and the biggest part of the country could be plunged into darkness for months on end. Take into account that most of the grid system if outdated, being built in the first part of the last century, it is now fragile and easily knocked out. Large sections of the country have experienced this before, and will again. As fuel prices rise, all commodities will become higher and less available. It only makes sense to have a backup plan for when or if these things happen in your area. Also, most are on the public municipal water supply and if the power goes, then too does the water, unless they have a backup generator system.

Robin

Apr 21, 2008
Well a neet topic !

Jeff of pa, " is right on" there is not shortage of oil, its all about control and MONEY.

Your also right MD Dog, people should not relly on the govenment to keep them from starving, and wild edibles is a good way to.
In my area I'ev seen wild onions 5 differant kinds all edible, they stratch for over a mile long and a quarter of a mile wide, I call it God's Garden.
Where I live I can't keep the deer out of my wifes garden in the back yard.
They have to jump 2 fences to get to it. My Dog DOES a good job watching though.

Yes your right TT theres not many who do , or are willing to take care of the
sick, the needy, the elders, and the oppressed,and the poor in spirit.
HOWEVER there are some who do !
Your always welcome to share my Venison TT, anytime !
I also live in North Cal.
So cheer up Treasure Tales + all will be find when our true King comes back !
Fear not ! Be brave ! Our King will be back soon !
Robin

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
MD Dog,

If you don't mind me asking, what 3 plants are you talking about?

Thanks,
Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread