William O. Douglas - Of Men and Mountains

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this book and it provided quite a few leads, at least, for me to day dream about for now.

William O. Douglas was raised around Yakiama, WA in the early 19-teens and because of an early childhood illness that left him nearly paralyzed, Douglas took to hiking and camping throughout the middle and south- eastern Cascades. He was quite the avid explorer and details many of his journeys throughout.

A couple of things that stick with me are thus;

He and his friend would use an old (at that time, even) homesteader/trapper cabin on the north end of Bumping Lake. When he was using it back in the 19-teens, he indicated there were relics lying about with descriptions of the interior as being old, even at that time. I remember reading the remains of the cabin now reside at the Bumping Dam campground. ( 46.87246 -121.29167 )

Another one that sparked my imagination was this; Coming back out of the mountains, he and his friend would follow (iirc) the Klickitat river valley, back toward Yakima, around Lost Horse Plateau ( 46.3741 -121.1926 ). In one case, he explained that often times they'd run into local Yakima Natives involved in all manner of daily life along the riverbanks. I often wonder, what relics and artifacts that may still be in the soil there, waiting to be found. Of course, a cursory look-see of the area on Google Maps, shows this area is within the boundaries of the Yakima Nation. I'm certain permission would need to be sought before poking around out there.

I trust this will provide you with something to think about, too. I highly recommend picking this book up - it was a real treat to read.

Enjoy and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread