Windows 10 upgrade, FREE! sup with dat?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Windows 10 upgrade, FREE! 'sup with dat?

I've got Windows 7 professional on one of my confusers.

I'm getting a 'Get Windows 10, FREE' ad popping up. They have crossed out $119 and say FREE.

Okay, nothing is free.

Does/has anyone dealt with this? What's the story?

Is it free, or did a used car dealer write this pop up?

Anybody a confuser genius and know anything about 10?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got Windows 7 professional on one of my confusers.

I'm getting a 'Get Windows 10, FREE' ad popping up. They have crossed out $119 and say FREE.

Okay, nothing is free.

Does/has anyone dealt with this? What's the story?

Is it free, or did a used car dealer write this pop up?

Anybody a confuser genius and know anything about 10?

This explains it. How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

From what I can tell it's free, no gimmicks, no credit card required.
I think they feel bad since windows 8 was such a piece of crap.:laughing7:

I'am going to install another hard drive (30-40 bucks on eBay) and try it out. If I don't like it I can use my Windows 7 on the Hard drive I'm currently using. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's a great idea with the hard drives.

Thanks for the info.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIB,

I did the upgrade and yes it's free....they did a lot of fixes from the earlier versions so it's probably worth the effort.

They figure that people might buy a bunch of apps from them to compensate for the freebie but no strings attached.

Regards + HH

Bill

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is you will have to pay $69.00 dollars a year to use it after next year. Nope not free.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GIB,

I did the upgrade and yes it's free....they did a lot of fixes from the earlier versions so it's probably worth the effort.

They figure that people might buy a bunch of apps from them to compensate for the freebie but no strings attached.

Regards + HH

Bill

Microsoft says....If you like Windows 7 you will like Windows 10!
Did you have the tablet like.... made for a touch screen...Windows 8?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is you will have to pay $69.00 dollars a year to use it after next year. Nope not free.

I must be missing something then. :icon_scratch: Everything here says free.:dontknow:
This answered every question I could think to ask, of course it's written by Microsoft...
Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Was a nasty rumor started about Windows 10 no longer being software but rather a "service".

Don't know if it will eventually become like Dreamweaver and other Adobe type software where you pay a monthly fee for use of the software. If so, I still have my discs for Windows 7 & 8 ... and I'm not afraid to use them.

pirate.jpg

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're running 6 computers and sometime a laptop. My son and grandson both are now using the Windows 10. They like it, so far.
I didn't want it, at least not right now. I got aggravated at the little Win. 10 logo in my system tray. I would go into task manager and delete it, but it always comes back. I called Microsoft. The first time, I got an Indian-sounding guy that never understood what I was asking about. I said I wanted to get the logo out of my sys tray and explained as best I could what I wanted. He kept asking if I wanted to use Win. 10 and I finally hung up. The next time, I got a woman, still Indian-sounding voice. I told her what I wanted. After she asked me the 4th time if wanted Win. 10 I told her in a strong voice that 'NO! I do not want Windows 10. No, no, no!' I think she finally got the message. I asked her again how to get rid of the logo. She said maybe in the future they would have an update to get rid of it. I said, 'In other words, you don't know how to get rid of it.' She told me if I would let her into my computer, maybe she could find a way to get rid of it. I told her I didn't want her in my computer. I said I had discs for 5 versions of Linux and I might just drop Microsoft. They didn't have a clue on how to permanently get rid of the logo!
Question: Have any of you managed to get rid of it, permanently?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upgraded a brand new laptop with windows 10 and we keep getting streaming video adds that kick us out of our page we are viewing. Any suggestions.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Upgraded a brand new laptop with windows 10 and we keep getting streaming video adds that kick us out of our page we are viewing. Any suggestions.

Get a Mac

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Check for spyware. If you didn't use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, or got you version somewhere other than Microsoft, you may be infected.

Get a Mac

Myth. Apple (Mac, Macintosh et. al.) are able to contract viruses, they are susceptible to buggy software.

The only reason that there are more viruses on Windows is simple. When they asked Willie Horton why he robbed banks, his answer was: "That's where the money is." Similarly, since hackers want to affect the most people, they usually target their viruses at windows.

There are viruses that run on Macs as well as Linux. I know, I have experienced cleaning both.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Myth. Apple (Mac, Macintosh et. al.) are able to contract viruses, they are susceptible to buggy software.

And this is probably quite true.

I run Windows Parallels on my Mac. I have some business/work programs that only function with a Windows based system, so, I'm forced to use it occasionally.

I run Norton 360 on both of my systems.

The only time my computer crashes is when the Windows side goes goofy.

Just based on MY experience.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And this is probably quite true.

I run Windows Parallels on my Mac. I have some business/work programs that only function with a Windows based system, so, I'm forced to use it occasionally.

I run Norton 360 on both of my systems.

The only time my computer crashes is when the Windows side goes goofy.

Just based on MY experience.

I know you are not doing so G.I.B., but as a designer I hear it all the time from MAC folks who look down their noses at Windows users. I do lots of graphics work and design. I have to laugh when those same people who think they are better than Windows users are using the same programs I am, PROGRAMS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO RUN UNDER WINDOWS ... because they think their OS is better than that of others.

If there wasn't a need for it, these programs wouldn't exist: 11 Antivirus Apps For The Mac

If the MAC was always secure, this site would not exist: The Mac Security Blog

What has always amused me is that you hear folks looking to use Windows programs on Macs, but not the other way round. It is possible, and lots of "tutorials" and some software ... but no one is beating a path in that direction.

Back to the original theme of the thread (sorry I got off topic).

I've had only good experience with my upgrade to Windows 10.

If you have Windows 8.1 Pro, you actually get upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread