Winona Lake, Indiana possibilities

keysync

Jan 24, 2006
Lake Placid, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near Winona Lake Indiana. It has alot of history. Supposedly it was a very big deal to visit Winona Lake for gambling and amusements. Now days it's turned into "The village of Winona" but there has to be some pictures of where the gambling took place and certainly someone lost some coins somewhere.
Famous visitors are John Dillinger, Al Capone, among several religious icons of the time. There is a large bay on the lake that used to be a swimming beach way back when. It's not now. It's just a shore line with grass to the edge. I wondered if anyone had any ideas or info on this area and whether it would be worth while to look into for hunting. I don't have a detector. Can't afford one right now. But would be willing to go hunting if anyone had any good leads or ideas.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
keysync said:
I live near Winona Lake Indiana. It has alot of history. Supposedly it was a very big deal to visit Winona Lake for gambling and amusements. Now days it's turned into "The village of Winona" but there has to be some pictures of where the gambling took place and certainly someone lost some coins somewhere.
Famous visitors are John Dillinger, Al Capone, among several religious icons of the time. There is a large bay on the lake that used to be a swimming beach way back when. It's not now. It's just a shore line with grass to the edge. I wondered if anyone had any ideas or info on this area and whether it would be worth while to look into for hunting. I don't have a detector. Can't afford one right now. But would be willing to go hunting if anyone had any good leads or ideas.

Thanks
Jeremy

Not there, but Cedar Lake Ministries is on a site of one of the old
Chicago escape areas for the wealthy back in the late 1800's. They had a dance hall etc. While the ministries have remodeled the old buildings are still there and I think the beach is too. If you approach them nicely they will allow you to hunt. I got permission but have been unable to get up there and doubt I will this year either.
Here is their web site.

http://www.cedarlakeministries.org/index.html

Contact Joe Wilson or Barb Kortokrax.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here are some articles I have found about Winona Lake...hope this information will help you...

Also note, I'm not saving this article but in the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) on 19 April 1914...a fire broke out at Winona Lake, many cottages burned (the owners planned to rebuild). There were 22 cottages, from what I am reading. The cottages were situated on the ridge just south of the Winona Hotel. This article lists all the cottages destroyed and their owners.

Here are some articles for you....
Annmarie

Attachments

• winona lake 1a1.jpg
    winona lake 1a1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 637
  • winona lake 1b.jpg
    winona lake 1b.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 739
  • winona lake 2a1.jpg
    winona lake 2a1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 629
  • winona lake 2b1.jpg
    winona lake 2b1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 606
  • winona lake 2c1.jpg
    winona lake 2c1.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 635
  • winona lake 2c2.jpg
    winona lake 2c2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 628
  • winona lake 3a1.jpg
    winona lake 3a1.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 854

TeddyMexico

Greenie
Feb 25, 2008
Indianapolis
Hmmm...I know a JeffG in Franklin, IN..haven't talked to him in a while. JeffG you don't know a Ryan F. do you?

Anyway,, that's a very interesting place and some good information. I'm new to all this. Going to be seriously hunting some old Indian land this spring. My friend has an MD that we will use. Shortly after this trip I will be getting my own MD and looking for places to hunt in Indiana.

I've got to study my brains out about relic/coin/treasure hunting because I'm such a noob. If any of you guys decide to plan a trip this summer, let me know! I have some pretty decent photography skills as well, though I hope to spend much of the summer getting down and dirty with my MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions