WINTER BLUES**************

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I do most of my research during the depth of winter, but I can't do it constantly so I usually hit one of my many hobbies.
I saw an ad for a 3D printer, but the thought of learning the computer language to design objects turned me off. I then saw the ad for a 3D pen. Hay this looked neat. You literally write with plastic instead of ink so you can draw in the third dimension by raising your pen after you start on paper. I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. It works great, but I think it will take me about a month to gain proficiency using it. The devil is in the details. You can control the speed of plastic feed with a slide but the feed is by a button on the side. So far I made a tree, but it closely resembles those fake tree cell phone towers. I am working on a carpenter bee next. Hay you can even get glowing plastic, gold, silver, and transparent. They even have a wood grain plastic with real wood in it. How good am I now? You notice I didn't show a picture of my tree. lol Frank. five star.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
No replies! You mean you are all one dementional? lol Frank COOKIE MONSTER.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say pictures! We will judge your progress....:laughing7: So how much does the"ink" cost for that pen? Can you "draw" a sluice box? How fast does the plastic try? Can you adjust your artwork?:icon_thumright:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking for bottle labels online they are mostly printer types. Others are sticky/gummed or waterproof. Lacking a printer or desire for one the search continues for plain ol permanent marker technology type paper for use with a glue stick. Where did the printed design ones go? l.o.l..
Yes it is winter, no doubt. About ready for finger painting here.....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I say pictures! We will judge your progress....:laughing7: So how much does the"ink" cost for that pen? Can you "draw" a sluice box? How fast does the plastic try? Can you adjust your artwork?:icon_thumright:

I am working on a bumblebee. I will show a picture when I am finisher it but you have to remember I only have a couple of days 'experience' with it.
The 'ink' is ABS filament 1.75mm in dia. I get it in 2.2# rolls at a cost of about $25 a roll. There are also multi color packs of app. 1' strands for about $19. It comes in the basic colors plus gold, silver, 'milkey'clear, glow in the dark, wood grain light or dark brown with real wood fibers, and others I am constantly finding out about. As for the sluice box, I suppose you could if you had the time, but even the 3D printers are confined to small items except for industrial units. Hay, some guy printed out his car!! The plastic dries in a second or two. You can adjust the rate of flow. I got mine on Amazon, search 3D pens. Here's a catch, the one I got was $65. The same exact one in many colors are offered for many different prices.

You can draw a design and go over the drawing with the pen and you have it in plastic, but it is 2D. You can then 'thicken it' with the pen and get 3D or go over the four sides and 'heat them together with the pen. When you get really good, you can start on the paper and literally 'draw in air' with it, but that is expert status.

It's a fun hobby that just might find a money making nitch. Frank five star.png

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK Here's your laugh for today! But remember, it is just the beginning. My first and second attempt at using a poorly designed tool.
Your thumb that holds the pen, also presses the feed button. Check the tool out on Amazon. It it called a 3D pen. I am working on a bonsai tree and a starfish.
The item #1 is mounted on 200 year old oak barn beam section with a rock from my stream, mostly flint. Below are try #1 the old cedar tree and try #2 the carpenter bee.
Frank five star.png
3D PEN1.jpg
_3D PEN2.jpg

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh, nothing like home made Christmas gifts. :laughing7:

Hey it's a start. I'd never heard of such a device till you posted it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I am playing while I am learning. It uses the same technology as a 3D printer, but sans the automated feed.
I am looking for some earning potential in the process. The pen itself works, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.
You hold it like a fat pen with thumb and index finger. The problem is that the thumb must also push the 'feed' button.
A pistol grip and trigger feed would work better. Frank five star.png

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay, anyone have a 3D printer? I have been reading about them also. The prices are dropping, some below $500. What worries me about them is the computer program to develop the images once you get beyont the free patterns. I have been reading up on the (Sketch It) program. Since I have done drafting in my past, it doesn't look to bad. It looks easier than Photoshop Elements. There is a lot to it though. The book of instructions is 490+ pages. Hay, I an up to page 50. LOL I am thinking about pulling a "hoola-Hoop" type push with one of my ideas.
Frank five star.png
STILL LIFE-2002-1.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions