🥇 BANNER Winter camp Gold!

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other day I was digging in the frozen ground a winter camp and had found 4 bullets and some camp lead in about 2 hours. Then I broke my shovel trying to pop out a large plug. It was a iffy signal with the GPX, either iron falsing on both sides of the target or 2 targets. Anyway I came back the next day and opened it up only to find a square nail. Without checking for another signal I started digging down to the plow line to see if the sub-soil was where it was suppose to be because I've found several Fire-pits there. When I threw out the 1st scoop the clod broke apart and out popped Gold, clear as day. After freaking out for several minutes, videoing and washing I decided to keep detecting and found another fire-pit just 10 feet from the Gold 2 1/2. From that I got 4 buttons, 1 J-hook, a bullet worm, a firing cap, bone and lot's of iron. The Eagle I is of the rare variety w/ the arrows on the left and the 2 1/2 Gold is in the best condition of any coin I've ever dug and it's a S mint mark, which only 24,000 were made. HH all!
1-20.jpg 1-20 GOLD.jpg 1-20 pit.jpg 1-19.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 86
OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks fellas! I just took it to the coin shop to have them look at it and they said it's probably worth about $500 but went on to say if I hadn't cleaned it could of been $800 t0 $2000. I thought I was really careful and didn't rub it but they said I put hairline scratches in it and I should of left the dirt on it. It just seems to me that caring it around with dirt on it would scratch it worse. I don't care what they say I love it for the history. I'm sure glad buttons don't have to hold up to such scrutiny.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas! I just took it to the coin shop to have them look at it and they said it's probably worth about $500 but went on to say if I hadn't cleaned it could of been $800 t0 $2000. I thought I was really careful and didn't rub it but they said I put hairline scratches in it and I should of left the dirt on it. It just seems to me that caring it around with dirt on it would scratch it worse. I don't care what they say I love it for the history. I'm sure glad buttons don't have to hold up to such scrutiny.

First off great find brother! Secondly like you said, what the hell are we supposed to do with these coins? Levitate them around so the don't touch anything? Are they sure those scratches are new and weren't there from moving around in the dirt for years? It just seems like it doesn't matter how careful we are. And if you had left the dirt on it did they have some secret cleaning method that we don't know about.
Regardless of any of that it's an incredible find with awesome historic signifigance and I'm psyched for man. Don't even worry bout the value

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was going to say something about that cleaning method. I've seen people do it all over the internet. :icon_scratch: Drives me nuts !! :BangHead: Its no better than rubbing coins !! The littlest pieces of dirt and sand and rocks in the cap act like wet sanding. The problem with gold and silver is its very soft so it scratches easy. :dontknow: I'm not sure how they would clean it if they were in your shoes though. ??? However next time, to be safe don't clean it at all or use running fast water and no rubbing or brushing or dabbing at all. I guess some professionals would just soak it in distilled water until the dirt softens enough to just fall off. :dontknow:Lucky Its not a real valuable gold coin, but if you ever do come across that one coin...!! 8-) Make sure you send it in to get cleaned by a grading company !! :thumbsup: Awesome finds, congratulations !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous, at last some new gold to this site! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was great. I had to laugh when I heard you laugh. Great coin and at the at the first of the video I laughed when I saw the earth worm had " Photo Bombed" that great coin. So it was shallow? I saw the depth of you other holes on the fire pits. Nice hunt once again. You have my vote.
TnMtns

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
it was exciting to hear how ecstatic you were finding it! As mentioned above, the toothbrush was something that should be avoided on silver and gold. On something like this that is a super keeper, I might even take a walk back to the car then and there and lay it in the glove box so it doesn't rub in a pocket, or anything else. Just some water at home should be enough after that, with no rubbing. That being said, it's a spectacular piece and truly a centerpiece of any detecting collection!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
500 bucks? Whatever. It would be priceless to me.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow:o. what a find!.Gold coins of any denomination are rare to find, "extremely' rare to find on civil war sites.Don't worry,you didn't hurt that coin any.They where probably just hoping you wanted to sell it.I love the 1861 date and everything about it.Nothing like a beautiful period Gold coin to display with your relics.Congratulations to you!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the members voted it up pretty quick.
Congratulations.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your banner gold!!!! Watching your video, I caught myself drooling.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful coin. Congratulations are in order and a banner vote as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread