winter detecting idea. Any thoughts on this one?

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I was talking to whitesid in chatroom and we were discussing using a torch on the frozen ground to see if it would make it easier to dig by thawing it out. Anyone ever try this crazy idea? I have one of those little propane torches that you get at Lowes or Home Depot and thought I might give it a shot, just to see if I can thaw the ground enough to get through the frozen tundra. I'll let you all know when I try it but would like to hear if anyone has tried.

Thanks.

Funkman

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It will work to a point, depends on how deep the ground is frozen, Northern tool sells a torch that hooks to a 30 lbs. propane bottle, its used for burning weeds or heating tar. Its got a big flame that covers lots of ground. That would be my choice if I were to do it, not a big expense either.

kenb

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I moved to Florida.....

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
I can see it now....1916d dime melted with blow torch.

HH
Joe

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
You spend more money on fuel for the torch than you would make digging. Spring isn't that far away is it? Then again, I live in Florida.....

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't be cost effective. we've built fires over water lines to thaw them and they would only melt a couple of inches into the ground

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Why not take a mini mattox. Saw one end off so that you have a nice spot to hit it with a hammer. A nice swing to get it started and then a three pound sledge should help you get a little deeper. I guarentee after the first couple of holes your going to start really thinking about digging the best of the best when it comes to signals. Your going to have fewer signals in the winter time with the snow cover as well so you might also want to bring a snow shovel. Other then that you could always go just to look for good signals and take some nails with a plastic (colorful) tag attached. Find a likely target that you want to check out and drive a nail and then as soon as spring hits go back and start looking for all those tags again. How about starting out your spring hunting with a few hundred good targets on your first day. Kinda gives you something to look forward to doesn't it. Swizzle

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
How about just dropping some lighter fluid in a neat plug size diameter circle and dropping the match on it?............j/k. On a serious note, the ground finally froze here in NYC and it's going to be chisel and hammer time this weekend.

lobo

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Whites MXT
I would suggest wearing goggles, rocks will blow up when heated up!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would boiling water work? I'm not sure if it could melt the ground fast enough to get the signal out before it melted over again.

Either way, I will just wait until the ground isn't frozen. :)

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Do you know anybody that works on the railroad if so they could get you some fusees free or you can get them at any hardware store. These things will burn right through a water line if you hold in one place. We used them to thaw out the locks on the switches and they work well.

Jimmy T

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flares ahhhhhhhhhh ;D

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Not only rocks but concrete and frozen ground will pop. or should I say Blowup.
BANG

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it would be a little safer if you used a small pick axe and as spade shovel, granted it would be a lot of work for a pull tab ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Underbear said:
I live in western NY and my advice would be either a electric or pneumatic jackhammer :o

I'm not sure about the jackhammer advice, but your avatar is about as cute as an eagle button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions